PDA

View Full Version : Springbok Callsign : going going GONE

jon doe
12th Oct 2008, 10:16
What are the chances that if the national rugby team is going to loose the Springbok, then the next Springbok to go will have to be the SAA callsign. Next we will hear "Protea 211 for descent". What will that do for morale???:=

Carrier
12th Oct 2008, 13:33
The South African rugby team and other South African teams are not going to lose the nickname The Springboks. Note that this is a nickname, not a proper name. It is amazing how many people do not know the difference, something that should have been learned before starting school. For the ignorant, nicknames are not assigned or changed by any organisation, government or otherwise, but arise from common usage. They are bestowed by the public. The same entity may have more than one nickname, some benevolent and some otherwise depending on the user’s attitude towards it. The South African cricketers are still commonly referred to as the Springboks (their nickname) despite their governing body creating a new proper name (Proteas) for them. Those who do not like the use of the nickname Springboks just have to lump it! They are unable to change a nickname.

Even in the case of proper names sports bodies that are not part of a government’s Ministry of Propaganda may ignore the government’s changes. As independent entities it is their choice whether to change their names. An example is in England where Middlesex County Cricket club still contests the county championship although the County of Middlesex was abolished by the UK government some decades ago.

What’s the matter with South African sports bodies and sportsmen? Are South African sports bodies part of some government ministry? Are you all government toadies? If you are independent then keep your traditional proper names, as Middlesex CCC did, and damn the government!

flux
12th Oct 2008, 18:30
Even with the clever comment, your wee wee is still the same size ....

Romeo E.T.
12th Oct 2008, 22:32
why stop with the call sign, just save the taxpayer the R6.5-billion loss over the last 5 years or so,by forcing SAA to close, and the "Springbok" callsign will just disappear as well.

TAVLA
13th Oct 2008, 07:42
SAA guys - Don't bother.

This is just going to turn into another SAA bashing exercise.

Whatever may happen to SAA, you can be absolutely sure that the contributors to PPRUNE, AVCOM, AFRIKA LUGVAART and a few others will have absolutely NO INFLUENCE and NO EFFECT.

You will not convince them, or change their minds.You do not need to defend yourselves and indeed by doing so you are not doing the SAA pilots any favours. Let them vent to their hearts' content, our lives will be just the same.

T

unstable load
13th Oct 2008, 08:06
What’s the matter with South African sports bodies and sportsmen? Are South African sports bodies part of some government ministry? Are you all government toadies?

YES! Any more questions?

Sadly, politics has entered the realm of most facets of life in SA either through legislation or by osmosis. Either way, the whole fabric of South Africa is changing/being changed to remove reference to the whites and their legacy be it good or bad. There are arguments both ways for this, but they are for another thread.

It is a fact that a lot of the money in SA is still white controlled and the people (Government) don't like that.
Rugby is a predominantly white sport AND big business and soccer/football is the main Black sport and essentially a joke on the international scene which is a source of embarrasment to the people.
There is also a touch of disharmony in the upper echelons of Guvmunt at present and this is a handy way of polarising the whites and taking their unpleasant attentions away from the present embarrasment in politics.

True, the Springboks may be a nickname but the EMBLEM of the Springbok head is NOT. That is what the target is and whether we call them The Bokke forever will not amount to anything once the emblem is obliterated.

I.R.PIRATE
13th Oct 2008, 09:54
Must....destroy....every....semblance....of...civilisation.. ..logic....success...colonialism...must destroy...must destroy...must...destroy...entities...where...whitey...can.. .be...successful...

Greeson
13th Oct 2008, 12:21
:D:DWell said Tavla:D:D
The last SAA bashing thread has wilted into some crap about cabin services. Even you whiners out there must be getting tired of your own boring regurgitated arguments.
The worst part about it is that all your bitching and moaning makes not one iota of a difference.Of SAA's 75 years they've probabley only made a profit in half those years.But guess what.........they still here. And guess what........they still going to be here for a very long time to come. What's going to change.....FOKALL. And all you little whiney girls will still be crying on these forums about how unfair life is.
Boo-frikkin-hoo.

mwafrika
13th Oct 2008, 12:49
And all you little whiney girls will still be crying on these forums about how unfair life is.
Boo-frikkin-hoo.

Hehehehe @ Greeson. I'm an avid KQ fan but this is just hillarious. I thought this thread was about the SAA callsign! It just bemuses me how most SA discussions almost always end up being race fuelled rants. Y'all need to get over it. South African dynamics won't change over night just because you unleashed your innermost feelings online. The more things change the more they remain the same.
I suggest they remove the first 'P' from Pprune, there's absolutely nothing professional about most discussions on here.

All hail KQ!

Greeson
13th Oct 2008, 13:44
race fuelled
You best be talking about 103 Octane.

Alternate Law
13th Oct 2008, 17:10
Change the callsign? Oh please.......

The politicians / idiots trying to run the country / airline will never figure that one out. I'll bet that CEO at SAA has never even heard an aircraft radio, let alone what the callsign is.

Look at our exemplary neighbours to the north: That VOR at Harare is still idented as VSB (Vor SalisBury), and that's after 36 years of that special brand of freedom.

WildFrequency
13th Oct 2008, 18:07
TAVLA well said :D:D

Alternate Law..VSB VOR has had me laughing for many years...wonder, if ever, 'ol Bob Maugabe will ever figure it out!

scanafrica
13th Oct 2008, 19:11
Mugabe figured it out years before TAVLA or any of the other children.

Very Sexy Bob

jon doe
13th Oct 2008, 19:24
The only question that is asked, is would the callsign "Springbok" that has been around for 75 years also have to be replaced? Every party in aviation worldwide knows "Springbok" is South African, as so the Springbok for the rugby team has been around since 1906, it would be very very sad :sad: if the callsign gets the boot too!!!!!

AirwayBlocker
13th Oct 2008, 19:26
Now that you guys have let the cat out of the bag I figure they'll change it next week. :}

mwafrika
13th Oct 2008, 22:19
You best be talking about 103 Octane.Sure Greeson. I couldn't possibly be talking about anything else:)!

Now that you guys have let the cat out of the bag I figure they'll change it next week. http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif:D Blame it on Jon Doe

dudleydick
14th Oct 2008, 08:28
"Springbok" and FAJS are here to stay!

Selfloader
14th Oct 2008, 09:41
Dud, have to agree with you there. To the best of my knowledge
the call sign is registered (with whom?) and cannot be changed at the behest of politicians or anyone else for that matter - one of the reasons why ORT is still called JIA etc.

dudleydick
14th Oct 2008, 10:00
I have worked at Jan Smuts, JIA and at OR Tambo and with the most recent name change there were discussions by those with little knowledge that IATA should be asked to change JNB to ORT. Unfortunately Northway Airport in Arkansas in the US has that three letter code. That is one code that our famous street sign and name place changers will not be able to change. I guess they have still to work out FAJS but I am sure that is also not negotiable to be changed.