PDA

View Full Version : Flying books

DavidHoul52
11th Oct 2008, 22:19
I am thoroughly enjoying Wolfgang Langewiesche's "Stick and Rudder". Quite a remarkable chap, especially if you believe the cover blurb "Wolfgang Langewiesche first soloed in 1834 in Chicago". This 69 years before the first flight of the Wright Brothers! He was (still is?) also a Cessna test pilot, this when his 100th birthday was already a distant memory?

I now understand why the stall warner goes off again on recovering from the dive after dropping the nose after a clean stall recovery (2 g's of extra weight on the wings).

Any other books ppruners have found useful or entertaining? Any particularly useless?

Contacttower
11th Oct 2008, 23:05
Not read it myself but time and again I hear people say how good Fate Is the Hunter by Ernest K. Gann is.

B2N2
12th Oct 2008, 01:43
FATE IS THE HUNTER...amazing book.

Final 3 Greens
12th Oct 2008, 06:18
Useful

Tips to fly by, Dick Collins.

The Naked Pilot, David Beatty

Entertaining

Behind the Cockpit Door, Arthur Whitlock (sadly out of print)

jonkil
12th Oct 2008, 07:54
First Light - Geoffrey Wellum (Good read)
Chickenhawk - Robert Mason (Heavy going)
Flying with angels - Kevin Rutland (Excellent entertaining book)
The Killing Zone - Paul Craig (Sobering read)

PlasticPilot
12th Oct 2008, 08:12
Uselfull for G1000 conversion, the book from Max Trescott: Garmin G1000 Glass Cockpit Handbook and CD-ROM Course (http://www.g1000book.com/)

Generally useful as well, the books from Rod Machado Become a Pilot With Rod Machado - Learn to Fly Page (http://www.rodmachado.com)

Entertaining: Speaking of flying (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=Speaking%20of%20flying&tag=httpwwwplas05-20&index=books&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325%22)

Artificial Horizon
12th Oct 2008, 09:47
First Light (Geoff Wellum) - amazing
A Likely Story (Clive Clapshaw) - very funny (hard to get hold of)
Yeager - An Autobiography (Chuck Yeager) - amazing read
Chicken Hawk (Robert Mason??) - Didn't find this heaving going, amazing.
Going Solo (Roald Dahl) - more a early teenagers book but cracking W11 story.
Flight of Passage (Rinker Buck) - great coming of age story
In the Company of Heroes (Mike Durant) - story written by one of the 'Blackhawk Down' pilots, great read.

All of the above well worth the read.:ok:

kevmusic
12th Oct 2008, 11:09
Lancaster Target - Jack Currie. As a bomber pilot's view of the war and the love of flying generally there's none better. And he has a wicked sense of humour. :D

DBisDogOne
12th Oct 2008, 15:13
Stick & Rudder - old book but still excellent, better than alot of newer books I tried.

Chickenhawk - superb read (anyone know what happened to him after the incident at the end of the book?)

Wings on my sleeve - Eric 'Winkle' Brown - A FAA test-pilots story (think he's still alive now, I hope so), for anyone who thinks they are really something special as a pilot and have a serious pair of balls - read this and adjust your perception of yourself. Entertaining and bloody scary. Also check out the list at the back of the book of types he's flown in his career (S/E, M/E, Jets, helicopters, gliders, military & civil, you name it - literally).

Slide Rule - Neville Shute: Biog of his early life, flying in the 30's and the R100/101 airship projects, proof, nothing really changes with governments.

rauxaman
12th Oct 2008, 17:43
I must agree with the comments about "Fate is the Hunter"... only just recently discovered this classic, I was going to ask in a forum whether any of today's transport pilots feel any empathy with Gann and whether they feel Fate looking over their shoulders.

Geoffrey Wellum's book is superbly written... I have enjoyed reading it several times.

Anyone come across a book "Ironclaw: A Navy Carrier Pilot's Gulf War Experience"? I read a chapter in "Wild Blue" and have decided to try to find the full book... that was how I discovered "Fate..."

Also enjoyed Sharky Ward's "Sea Harrier Over The Falklands"

Going to re-read the thread then go on Amazon and order some new books :ok:

Chuck Ellsworth
12th Oct 2008, 17:49
If you want some real riveting reading you should try the Canadian CAR's.:E

Pilot DAR
13th Oct 2008, 00:59
Yep, I agree with "Chickenhawk" as being excellent.

Also: A lonely kind of war, by Marshall Harrison, Design for Flying and Design for Safety, both by Dave Thurston, Cessna Wings for the World, and Wings for the World II, both by Thompson, Flight Journel, by Corwin Meyer, and Flight, by Chris Kraft.

And Chuck, A do enjoy a "CAR" from time to time. A few of the words in there are mine....

Pilot DAR

batninth
13th Oct 2008, 18:41
I would also suggest "Think like a Bird" by Alex Kimbell. Boys Own stuff with the Army Air Corps out in Aden.

rebra
13th Oct 2008, 19:38
I agree with a lot of the recommendations above. But must not forget Propellerhead by Antony Woodward. Funny, easy read. (Microlights)

Justiciar
13th Oct 2008, 20:08
Chickenhawk - superb read (anyone know what happened to him after the incident at the end of the book?)

He got into drug dealing and did time. Now "clean". He has a web site.

Flight of the Mew Gull: Alex Henshaw
Think Like a Bird: Alex Kembell

what next
14th Oct 2008, 11:11
Hello!

My all-time favourite (fiction) book with a flying theme is Gavin Lyall's "The Wrong Side of the Sky". "Shooting Script" from the same author is also very aviation oriented. I always wonder why neither of these has ever been turned into a movie?

Among non-fiction flying books, I really enjoyed reading André Turcat's "Concorde essais et batailles" (English title?) and "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe.

Greetings, Max

6amtime4bed
14th Oct 2008, 20:18
Gotta agree Propellerhead
was a great read , entertaining from start to finish .

JohnV85
29th Oct 2008, 11:13
So in the last 6 weeks I have read: Fate is the Hunter, Apache, Yeager's autobiography and Sled Driver.

Where next?

BackPacker
29th Oct 2008, 11:21
John, you seem to have a lot of time on your hands. How about "Kitplane Construction" by Wanttaja?:8

JEM60
29th Oct 2008, 16:20
Eric 'Winkle' Brown is very much alive. I have 'Wings on my Sleeve' moved house recently, got rid of a lot of Aviation books, and was going to do the same with this one. [I seldom read books more than once] I had the great good fortune to go to an after dinner talk by Eric Brown, and my book is autographed by the man. I have never met a more interesting flying person [John Farley is equal with him] , and he kept all of us, including our wives, mesmerised throughout his talk. I'm glad I kept the book. Agree with comments about the others, except I didn't find 'Chickenhawk' heavy going either. Geoff Wellum's 'First Light' lovely book, so different from the usual 'War Stories. Refreshing, that.

Human Factor
29th Oct 2008, 19:25
"Talkdown" by Brian Lecomber.

Ancient thread here (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/187942-fate-hunter.html)

tuscan
29th Oct 2008, 19:32
Rory Maclean- Falling for Icarus..... A brilliant book,true story of a mans passion and desire to fly. He moves to a greek island and builds a plane and eventaully gets it into the air with a little help from amused locals.

S.Featherstone-Getting Even..Eventually If you like adventure embroiled in border crossings and drug deals with dodgy militia then this is for you.
A man moves to Mexico with his dog and a stolen plane to set up on his own but gets more than he bargained for.

The latter was purchased in a flight store in Calgary International on the GA apron a few years ago. Im not sure if you can get it in Blighty so I will try and get the ISBN No if anyone is interested.