PDA

View Full Version : Travel insurance in USA

matthewB
11th Oct 2008, 08:29
Hi all,

I'm off to OBA at the beginning of November to do an intensive PPL and was wondering whether anyone could recommend some travel insurance which takes into account light aircraft flying. Policies I've seen seldom cover this aspect.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Matt

tbavprof
11th Oct 2008, 09:20
Almost all policies for the US will have it excluded. Purchase separate flight insurance through a program in the US. You should be able to get one for about 100 of her majesty's sterling pounds.

EchoMike
11th Oct 2008, 17:27
Just went through this for someone . . . AOPA sells non-owner's (renter's) insurance, but you need to have a USA mailing address so they can mail the policy. The policy goes into effect at midnight of the day you pay for it (credit card), you don't need to have the physical policy in your hands to be covered. The AOPA website says you have to be a US citizen to get this - that is WRONG, and they told me so when I spoke to them. (Please note that I DO understand the concept of paragraphs;, for some reason all my replies to Pprune have lately come out with no breaks, so I sound like I'm ranting, and I'm not . . . )

matthewB
14th Oct 2008, 17:31
Thanks for the replies guys.

tbavprof, can you recommend a company in the US?
multycpl, I've contacted Traffords for a quote - did you get general travel insurance with yours as well included in one policy?

Cheers
Matt

tbavprof
14th Oct 2008, 22:58
Check PM's

matthewB
19th Oct 2008, 10:05
Thanks for all your replies. I've got a quote from Traffords for just over £100.
I've just spoken to a friend though and he's told me that he has never bought separate flying insurance saying that the aircraft insurance itself covers him. That is for the UK though, and I was wondering whether that would be the case for the US.

Cheers
Matt

tbavprof
19th Oct 2008, 13:31
Matt,

In the US, more than likely, the aircraft's insurance won't cover anything other than hull, liability and perhaps the owner. A lot of FBO's have shaved off the renter coverage to keep their own costs down, and now require you to buy your own (including hull) before renting.

Blue skies

tbavprof
20th Oct 2008, 00:03
Traffords is for you, your medical costs.Those renters policies in the US also include medical for the renter and pax, if treatment necessitated by something happening with the aircraft.

So to some up the 2 different types:

Traffords: medical insurance, includes treatment necessitated by aircraft incidents where policyholder is pilot or non-airline pax. No hull or liability coverage.
Standalone US policy: hull, liability, and medical treatment only for that necessitated by aircraft incidents. No general medical/travel coverage.