PDA

View Full Version : C-150 crash at Paphos

BFPO
11th Oct 2008, 08:10
Griffon Aviation C-150 crash - Paphos Airport 09 Oct 08.

"TWO BRITONS were injured when a small two-seater aircraft went down at Paphos airport yesterday morning.

Forty-four-year-old Brian Sping and Katy Fox were attempting to take off on board a Cessna 150 at around 10.55am when the accident occurred.

Paphos police said the plane started to lose height when it had climbed to around 30 metres.

“It started to come down and then hit its wing and toppled over,” police said.

A fire engine and ambulances were immediately dispatched to the scene. The emergency prompted the delay of the trial run for the new airport which had been underway.

Fox was rushed off in the first ambulance as her injuries were considered more serious. Sping followed in the second ambulance, reports said.

Both were admitted to Paphos General Hospital for treatment but were out of danger, police said.

According to reports the duo had rented the small plane and had been preparing a flight over the Akamas.

Hermes airports PR and Communication Manager Adamos Aspris said the cause of the accident would be investigated by the competent authorities and all services involved."

Source at the scene stated he tried to take off with full flaps extended.

L-Band
11th Oct 2008, 17:18
Any idea of the registration of the 150.
L

BFPO
11th Oct 2008, 20:08
L-band, I do not have that info to hand, but will get it for you soonest.

L-Band
12th Oct 2008, 08:03
Thanks BFPO, used to own 5B-CIW ex G-ATEG and was planning to go out there and fly it again.

L

500 above
13th Oct 2008, 08:16
The reg. was 5B-CBP. 5B-CIW is still there...

geordiewarrior
13th Oct 2008, 09:05
I have just completed my 45 hours in IW, and I didn't break it. It had a new engine and paint job when I started. Thoroughly enjoyed it. As I did the company and assistance of all those at Griffon.

BP tried tot ake off with full flaps apparently.

Geordiewarrior

Airbus Girl
14th Oct 2008, 00:04
The emergency prompted the delay of the trial run for the new airport which had been underway

New airport in Paphos???

L-Band
14th Oct 2008, 00:51
Yep, we rebuilt IW back in 1975 and as aircraft engineers spent a lot of time and TLC to it airborne. And that resulted in 6 aircraft engineers getting there PPL and some of them are now Captains with major airlines, not bad eh!
So it would have been sorry to have seen it damaged.

Thanks for your help
L:ok:

geordiewarrior
14th Oct 2008, 07:17
Not a new airport - just a new terminal. Opening November.

gw

Airbus Girl
14th Oct 2008, 12:36
Ah, OK, thought I'd missed something as I hadn't noticed any new airport.....!!