PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Airways 787

mwafrika
10th Oct 2008, 23:40
So now with the dreamliner being delayed, seems like KQ might not take delivery at the projected timeline of 2010. Exactly who is going to be flying these planes? Since the 78's are replacing the 76's, are they just going to train existing 76 drivers including the captains or will they pull another fast one and train captains and bring in fresh-out-of-flight schoolers to occupy the right seat? There was a lot of hooplah a few years ago when KQ hired newbies to fly the heavy 76's when there was a bunch of experienced pilots available.

jetpet
11th Oct 2008, 01:29
yeah..big delay on the aircraft but no one can tell for sure what will happen as far as crewing the aircraft is concerned. It being a new aircraft, u never know...the triple guys may pull rank and say they want to get on that...

mwafrika
11th Oct 2008, 03:07
I guess that could happen considering the fact that the flight deck is pretty much an upgrade of the triple with the HUD and all. I foresee a mad reshuffling of crews when that happens.

Coleman Myers
13th Oct 2008, 09:57
Hopefully jobs on the horizon . .

jetpet
14th Oct 2008, 12:49
yup, for sure..there was lots of talk some time back about getting expat pilots to fill vacancies but the union is pretty strong and insisted on getting local crew, hence lot of movement from GA and low time hires into the airline, ab initio program as well has managed to fill gap....there are still vacancies now and will be until those 787s come in...some 737NG next month and a few more next yr...and oh...a triple 7 next yr as well...

Mshamba
15th Oct 2008, 11:07
and me they didnt want as i am not a kenyan :(
even with rating and hours on type

mwafrika
15th Oct 2008, 15:15
and me they didnt want as i am not a kenyan http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/sowee.gif
even with rating and hours on type

Sorry Mshamba but my inderstanding is that KQ has been under a lot of pressure from KALPA to hire locals. I dont blame them though. The number of pilots in Nairobi without jobs is staggering but officials will lead you to believe there's not enough qualified people. From experience, and am talking about here in the states, airlines are reluctant to hire foreigners mostly because of Visa complications. Thats extra work load for the company when they have to apply Visas for a few pilots who are non-citizens. Maybe thats an issue KQ has to contend with. Don't take my word for the gospel since I dont work for KQ.

Another triple 7 next year, thats awesome. Now thats a bus I wanna drive some day!

9-er
17th Oct 2008, 11:42
Mwafrika makes a good point. KQ often cites a shortage of qualified pilots around as a reason for its chronic shortage of crew, yet there are plenty of perfectly suitable people (many with jet experience) who cannot even get an interview,let alone a job, at their national airline. A good example was the demise of Regional Air a couple of years back. When that airline ceased ops, a number of Kenyan B737-rated pilots found themselves suddenly unemployed and tried their luck seeking 737 F/O positions at KQ. Not one was employed. Interestingly,three of these chaps are now 777 Captains at a certain Middle-Eastern carrier...
KQ is an awesome airline that does the country proud and most Kenyan pilots would love to ply their trade there. I wish I could understand the criteria the airline applies to recruitment when it can afford to ignore qualified and experienced pilots and then claim that there is a shortage!
Pole sana Mshamba, I know how you must feel. I'm a qualified 737 Captain, Kenyan, and they didn't want me either.

jetpet
17th Oct 2008, 18:51
Don't think i would know how you feel 9-er but i can only imagine with your qualifications and yet they would rather stick a 251 hr pilot into a 76...:*the HR departments goes through a lot of work interviewing potential crew, money on psychometric and flight testing but the decision to hire you rest solely on one man... ....politics !!!

mwafrika
27th Oct 2008, 04:03
A cousin of mine just applied for the ab initio program online. How exactly do they decide who goes and who doesnt? I wish I had that opportunity. I left flight school with almost $100k in debt and still paying for it. Hopefully he gets it but if not then if flying is what he really wants, he might fall into the same pit that I did. This seems to be perfect time for beginners looking to enter the KQ market in a year or so.

The Con
2nd Nov 2008, 11:25
I hear you 9-er,having cut my teeth in GA, prior. Up-shot though. There's a lot happening in the industry (all be it quietly), in the way of new players. All going well, for the first time, a set up with decent machinery and apparently serious capital. Low cost model, as of now airbus. Keep an ear out. If anything, it will change the hiring dynamics/criterea in Kenya as a whole. Keenly watching with my 250 plus seniority no.....

19th Nov 2008, 12:18
Brother, they apply the concept of checks and balances. If a 20,000 hrs
timer is already making inquiries about his pension you wouldn't expect
the company to send him for type training only for the chap to come back, fly for one month and then retire.

Jet Pack
21st Nov 2008, 09:16
Its a real bummer to hear that Kenya Airways, my dream employer, is so hard to reach even for the fully qualified pilots. What will it be for those like me who are not yet ppl rated?
The Ab initio program seems to be a drag too, is there another way to a flying scholarship? I'd really like to know.