PDA

View Full Version : Am I over-qualified for an RAF pilot?

Culio
10th Oct 2008, 23:11
Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of bother, you see I really want to be a pilot in the RAF (yeah yeah, you've all heard it all before).

But the thing is, I intend to complete my A-levels and then go onto to study Law at <insert red-brick uni name here>. I'm s***t scared though that when I do apply for the RAF, they may think I'm over qualified. Is this a problem? May it affect my chances? :(

For the record, my A-levels (which I am studying for) are:

- Psychology
- Geography
- Maths
- French

Please help! I'm getting quite worried!

C.

Mr Point
10th Oct 2008, 23:30
Culio,

In a word, no. The vast majority of IOT cadets have degrees and unless you are studying medicine and then apply for pilot or nav (WSO) you are unlikely to raise any eyebrows.

I know that you have already made a number of posts in the sticky thread at the top of the page but I would suggest that this one belongs there as well.

Good luck.

Mr P

Culio
10th Oct 2008, 23:47
"I would suggest that this one belongs there as well."

You're right, apologies.

Turkeyslapper
10th Oct 2008, 23:48
I wouldn't see how you could be considered as 'over qualified' to join as a pilot.

Plain old apptitude and motivation has a lot to do with getting through what is a very intensive period of training which has a steep learning curve. On my pilots course there were plenty of people a lot smarter than I (Aero Engineers etc) and plenty of them got scrubbed! Fortunately I didn't:)

All the best

Turkey