PDA

View Full Version : Contrails!

40KTSOFFOG
10th Oct 2008, 15:59
Many years ago a grizzled old captain (Ex R.A.F C130) explained to me how he could calculate,at preflight, at what Flight Levels the aircraft would be contrailing by using various met charts. This was important on certain missions to avoid visual detection from the ground.

Being somewhat old and grizzled myself now I have completely forgotten how this was done. Can anyone help me out?

Cheers

Dai_Farr
10th Oct 2008, 17:25
According to my copy of AP3340, the Handbook of Aviation Meteorology, contrails are likely to be visible when condensed water or ice particles are present in sufficient concentration to be seen. This in turn depends upon illumination, background contrast and distance.

For the formation of a contrail, the air temperature needs to be below a critical value which varies almost linearly from about -24 degrees celsius at sea level to about -45 deg C at 50,000 feet.

The critical temperatures are indicated by a particular line drawn on Metform 2810, the tephigram. This line is marked: "MINTRA," and will apply to an aircraft flying at cruising speed in an atmosphere just saturated with respect to ice. The corresponding temperatures for saturation with respect to water are lower by about two or three degrees C.

Trails may form at any altitude provided that the temperature is suitable. At 1000 millibars the critical temperature is about -30 deg C, so trails can occur at ground level in high latitudes!! Over southern England the average altitude at which trails would be expected to form in the winter ranges from about 26,000 feet to 70,000 feet. In summer, when the stratosphere is warmer, the range is about 30,000 to 45,000 feet.

So on the tephigram, a MINTRA would be that temperature above which a trail will not form even if the ambient air is already saturated. And a DRYTRA would be a line joining temperatures at which trails must occur even if the ambient air is completely dry. Between these two limits, corresponding with saturation and complete dryness, trail formation may be expected to depend primarily on the relative humidity of the environment and, to some extent, engine thrust.

On the Kipper Fleet in the 1980s, each sortie saw a specific briefing to the whole crew by the duty meteorologist. Such luxury, eh?

No doubt, for you in Transport, it can't have been too much different. Anyway, a tephigram could, and probably would have been specifically prepared for the types of sortie to which you allude in your post.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Dai Farr

Spitoon
10th Oct 2008, 18:08
Don't know whether it's of interest but I think there used to be a look-up for this on the back cover of one of the RAF FLIP books.

fullyspooled
10th Oct 2008, 18:40
Dai Farr,

What an interesting, well written and extremely informative reply! One learns something every day.

40KTSOFFOG
10th Oct 2008, 19:39
Dear Dai,

Thank you very much Sir. I appreciate your help.

It proves that this website does have a purpose.

compressor stall
10th Oct 2008, 22:04
I've made contrails at 50 feet agl during an low pass to inspect a landing site in a ski equipped Garrett TPE331 powered turboprop in Antarctica. I did not actually see them as I was flying but the FO commented on the shadows they were making behind the aircraft. Noone on the ground either to get a photo :{ not because it was too cold, but as noone had ever been there before. :E

It was -37 OAT and 9000'.

CS

javelin
10th Oct 2008, 23:50
I've seen a Cessna 210 contrailing at 12,000' running in for a skydiving pass at LBA - yes LBA, we used to jump into fields beyond the Avro factory.

I also heard them called persistence levels from WW2 - levels that the contrails stayed so as to alert the Boche to our wearabouts.

BOAC
11th Oct 2008, 11:58
As Dai has posted, MINTRA is the key, and of relevance to aircraft in combat zones.

There is a picture SOMEWHERE of an engine run somewhere well 'up north' of a 4 piston ground engine run with 4 trails. I.E Mintra level = ground elevation.

Dai_Farr
11th Oct 2008, 17:04
Our correspondent, BOAC, set me off on a Google search for his image. Hitherto, alas, to no avail, but there are still 150 pages to view...

En-route, however, I was diverted to one of many contrail websites. This one:

Appleman Chart - Student (http://asd-www.larc.nasa.gov/GLOBE/resources/activities/appleman_student.html)

takes you to one claiming that the United States Air Force produced contrail prediction charts. It says: "Background: Military planners have been interested in condensation trail (contrail) forecasts since World War II. Contrails can make any aircraft easy to locate by enemy forces, and no amount of modern stealth technology can hide an aircraft if it leaves a persistent contrail in its wake. In 1953, a scientist named H. Appleman published a chart that can be used to determine when a jet airplane would or would not produce a contrail. For many years, the US Air Force Global Weather Center used a similar chart to make contrail forecasts."

The page illustrates such charts and gets you to compile your very own contrail forecast. There's also a student version!!

Now, BOAC, your image must be out there somewhere...

See you further down the logbook!

DIFAR