PDA

View Full Version : A Levels

wanabnavypilot
10th Oct 2008, 09:23
Hi,
I am in year 11 and have just been to a sixth form open evening, I understand I need 180 UCAS points. After last nights open evening, these are the ones that I think I am going to take,
· English Lit
· IT
· Science (Biology or Physics)
· Accountancy

Thanks for the input,
wanab

airborne_artist
10th Oct 2008, 09:41
The Navy really does not care which subjects you take at A-level or degree level unless you want to be an engineer or a doctor/dentist, so do the subjects that you think are best for you, and bear in mind that you need a Plan B, in case you change your mind, or you don't get in. Think ahead to possible university courses, and ensure that you A-levels do not restrict you.

wanabnavypilot
10th Oct 2008, 09:49
Well thinking ahead Accountancy (after I have tried Army Air Core ;)) would be my fall back, but thanks for that advice because I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, physics or biology, biology I enjoy but everyone was saying physics because the Navy will look at your A Levels closely. Do you need a degree to get in because I have been told so many different things?
Thanks

Affirmatron
10th Oct 2008, 09:50
wanab

I don't believe you're 11. 11 yr olds nrmlly spk txt innit?

Looking at your choices, it seems to me you'll be overqualified to join the military as a pilot. IT? Accountancy? Physics? You'll end up running the JSF project before the ink's dry on your application form, God knows they could do with the help.

Anyway, keep up the good work and make sure you don't put all your eggs into the single Navy basket. A good education stays with you for life and opens a great many doors, both inside and outside the Military.

wanabnavypilot
10th Oct 2008, 09:52
I used to put text language on here but I got a great deal of stick for it so now revert to proper english. Thanks for the compliment
wanab

airborne_artist
10th Oct 2008, 10:03
It's a dilemma -

Join at 18 and get the FAA foundation degree for free, get paid while you train, but risk getting chopped/medically downgraded, and so perhaps bounce out at 20/21, and then have to go to university a few years older than your peer group.

or go to university, get a student loan to re-pay, get used to getting up at 12.30 every day, and then have to go through BRNC/RMAS/Cranditz aged 22, but have the degree to fall back on.

My money is on the latter for anyone who thinks they can get CCC or better at A2.

Safety_Helmut
10th Oct 2008, 10:09
I don't believe you're 11. 11 yr olds nrmlly spk txt innit?

Has it been a while since you were at school or had children at school Affirmatron ?

Year 11, means the 11th year of school (not including reception), not aged 11.

S_H:ok:

airborne_artist
10th Oct 2008, 10:13
Year 11, means the 11th year of school (not including reception, not aged 11.And means that in the normal run of things, he'll be 16 this school year, take GCSEs in May/June 09, and start sixth form/college/A-levels in Sept. 09.

Affirmatron
10th Oct 2008, 10:19
Has it been a while since you were at school or had children at school Affirmatron ?

Year 11, means the 11th year of school (not including reception), not aged 11.
OK then, I don't believe you're 16. 16 yr olds nrmlly spk txt innit? :}

You're right though chaps, I have NO children and know very little about them, except they would mean I'd have to sell my car and ruin my social life (and make the house smell of poo?).

airborne_artist
10th Oct 2008, 10:38
You're right though chaps, I have NO children and know very little about them, except they would mean I'd have to sell my car and ruin my social life

Though your 19 year old daughter's friends can be very charming and shall we say, easy on the eye :E

Airborne Aircrew
10th Oct 2008, 13:41
Well thinking ahead Accountancy (after I have tried Army Air Core http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif) would be my fall back

Good to see he has the banter down already... He'll go far... :ok:

Also, nice to see that TWA comes marginally ahead of Accountancy... :E

airborne_artist
10th Oct 2008, 14:35
Also, nice to see that TWA comes marginally ahead of Accountancy...I take it you've not read Apache Dawn (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apache-Dawn-Always-Outnumbered-Outgunned/dp/1847442544) then? An AH-64 is a bit more useful to the grunts on the ground in Terry-land than a Typhoon (at present), and its real cannon fires real rounds :ok:

Airborne Aircrew
10th Oct 2008, 15:06
AA:

I was referring to the young'uns ranking of careers... :p

Beatriz Fontana
10th Oct 2008, 18:13
Hey, it's handy knowing accountancy so you can get one over the bean counters. There I was in our command meeting this morning and found myself decidedly drifting during discussions of main gates and capability budget owners. I'm sure it makes sense to some people.

Handy, too, at age 16 to keep your options open. A sports injury at 17 knackered my thoughts on following the chosen career path so ended up with a desk job. Thankfully, the wide range of As I took meant it wasn't entirely game over. And remember to swot up on the social scene, too. If you're a lightweight, you'll get found out early :cool:

Always have a plan B, wanabnavypilot, just in case.

Aunty Bea.

wanabnavypilot
12th Oct 2008, 18:35
These forums make me smile, (as well as helping me) thanks you every one for giving me some advice. I have read Apache by Ed Macy, it was such a good read, I would recomend it to any one. wanab

Pontius Navigator
12th Oct 2008, 20:39
Wanab, don't read anything into this, but why do you want to be a Navy pilot? Is it because you want to serve near your home county? Or because you are living in a non-RAF area and hence Navy influenced?

Just curious.

wanabnavypilot
13th Oct 2008, 11:25
I don’t know why I have chosen the Navy I think I chose it because I enjoy being at sea (ex Sea Scout) but also wanted to fly (currently Air Cadet), so this is where the Navy came in to in, the Navy offered me a combinations of the both.

Pontius Navigator
13th Oct 2008, 19:23
Fair enough, more exposure to the sea than the air. One of the problems the RAF has in 'engaging' with the people while at the same time closing bases. reducing its footprint and cutting back on air shows.

Oh, and of course the odd cnut around but I wouldn't know what he said.

BTW, AIDU is a set of initials that all aircrew, be they RAF, Army and Navy depend on - Aeronautical Information Dissemination Unit.

In the case of our AIDU the words artificial and insemination spring to mind.

Pontius Navigator
13th Oct 2008, 19:37
So easy, so predictable. You can hear the beast thrashing about in the dark but not see a thing.:E

Whirlygig
13th Oct 2008, 21:26
Hey, it's handy knowing accountancy so you can get one over the bean counters.
I don't think A-Level Accountancy will be a threat to any professional accountant!!! :}

Wanab, if accountancy at the professional level is your plan B, bear in mind that the majority of accountancy firms (with whom you would be training) don't care what degree you have, as long as you have a degree. However, Chartered and Certified training is another three/four years on top of the degree whilst also holding down a full time job.

Cheers

Whirls

wanabnavypilot
15th Oct 2008, 06:32
I would most probably try for RAF or AAC, and then (if they refuse me) I would probaly look at other branches working in and around aircrafts on the other hand I was aware that to take accountancy higher you had to do a further course, but with a good accountany a level, if I am refused I then have the option to go and do the further course for accountancy.
wanab