PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 430 530

brns2
9th Oct 2008, 13:55
I think i am quite an advanced user of these GPSs but I havnt been able to find anything in the manual or by searching through the unit about flying a holding pattern.

I have heard people say they can do it but can find any info.

Is it possible to create a holding pattern with a limit at say Xdme on the XXX radial?

thanks

Sleepybhudda
9th Oct 2008, 16:50
I've been asking and reading around to find that answer and as far as I can tell..no. Holds are only included as part of an approach procedure stored in the database. You can't edit them or create your own.

On the WAAS 430/530 they are a bit smarter and allow Autopilots to fly them while linked to GPS but thats as much as I could tell.

Hope it helps

ahramin
10th Oct 2008, 03:30
There is no way to create a hold on either the classic or the W series. Only published holds will be portrayed as holds on the map. As stated while the classic series only provided inbound track guidance, the W series now provide guidance during the entire hold or procedure turn. The best you can do is to create a user waypoint x miles on the xxx radial and then use the OBS mode to get inbound track guidance.

A few questions from a quiz I give to pilots who show up claiming to be garmin 430/530 experts :E:

1 If you are more than 200 miles from an aerodrome what will your flight phase be and what is the CDI scale for this phase?
2 How do you create a flight plan waypoint on the route, abeam a given point?
3 Where can you enter the current altimeter setting? Why would you do this?

One very strange thing about the W series units is user variation is no longer an option. No grid nav.

brns2
10th Oct 2008, 06:00
Thanks for you help guys, i didnt think it could be done, but did realise the published holding patterns could.

ahramin...not sure if you were directing those qs at me but:
1) in the ENR phase, the deviation is 5nm (1nm per dot)
2) Not sure, could you explain
3) could you explain also

maybe not such an expert haha

Sleepybhudda
10th Oct 2008, 15:40
Good questions ahramin...

1) Its gonna be OCN oceaninc
2) Is this possilbe on the classics? or WAAS. If not cursor and custom waypoint. For the Waas ones I think there is something special for it
3) The Aux pages for calculating your TAS and Winds

ahramin
10th Oct 2008, 22:36
1. As sleppybuddy said, ENR mode is only from 30 nm to 200 nm. Beyond that it is OCN.

2. Lets say you are going KLAX direct to KSEA (obviously hypothetical) and center requests an estimate abeam KPDX. How do you create a waypoint exactly abeam KPDX on your route KLAX KSEA.

Sleepybuddy the procedure is exactly the same for the classic series as for the W series. The GNS 155s also had this function.

3. For non WAAS units, in APR and TERM mode the altimeter setting can be set in the last NAV page. This is useful to help RAIM for units which have barometric altitude inputs.

brns2
11th Nov 2008, 23:53
Just wondering if there is a problem with the unit i use?

I want to stop the waypoints sequencing as per the flight plan, so i press OBS. But when i press OBS i get a box pop up and ask for the course to the waypoint.

Is this a setting that needs to be changed, because i just want to maintain my same flight planned track and have that waypoint remain the active?

ahramin
12th Nov 2008, 01:14
brns2, I don't mean to be rude but I hope you are rethinking your first post.

I think i am quite an advanced user of these GPSsThe OBS button disables auto sequencing and also allows you to select a desired track to the waypoint (as opposed to point to point navigation).

When you push the OBS button the unit will look to whatever HSI it is wired to for the selected course. If the HSI course is not wired to the unit, or if the HSI mode is set to VLOC instead of GPS, the unit does not know what track you want and pops up that input box.

So if your HSI is in GPS mode (above the CDI button it says GPS not VLOC) then you either have a substandard installation or a wiring problem. During the startup test page where you check to make sure all flags are off; CDI needle is half dot left; etc, check that the OBS field (second from the bottom on the 530) matches what your course needle on your HSI is set to.

If this is not working properly you will need to speak to your avionics maintenance provider.

brns2
12th Nov 2008, 07:16
ahramin, thanks for your help.

Yes it does sound like a very amateur question.

I remember when i was doing my IR training, the 430 that i used worked exactly as you describe.

But in my current aircraft we have a EHSI linked to a 430 and a 530. And whenever i press OBS on the 530 i get that box popup. Which isnt really convenient. I would much rather have the course set by turning the OBS on the EHSI.

I thought it was maybe just the way the 530 works and have just not bothered using the OBS button, and leaving the wpt that i want last in the FPL, that way it wont sequence... not very convinent either.

I think it may be due to the EHSI being linked to GPS2 (the 430), when im pressing the button on the 530(GPS1). Ill try pressing OBS on the 430 or change the HSI to select 530, if not it may not be wired properly as you say.

Also i think earlier you were talking about how to set user wpts abeam other locations on the user wpts page. Figured that out and it works well

ahramin
13th Nov 2008, 03:14
Sounds like both GPSs are wired into the same EHSI yes? What model EHSI? I would think that if you can select either GPS as the nav source for the main CDI then the OBS knob should work for whichever GPS is the nav source. If so and it works for one but not the other then maybe a wiring issue.