PDA

View Full Version : Type rating for a Jet Transport - What would you chose?

Brachetta
9th Oct 2008, 10:19
Hi guys.
If you have to make a choice, what type rating would you go for?
- Airbus A320?
- Boeing B737-800 NG?
All reasons for one or another would be welcome.

Fabian

eikido
9th Oct 2008, 10:59
None at the moment.
Sorry for such a lame answer to your question but it's has some value in it.:{

Eikido

Anonymus6
9th Oct 2008, 11:16
None, there are no jobs!!! for low timers right now,, let me think,,,, ehhhh even for hight timers!!!!

LETS HOPE THINGS WILL CHANGE 2009, I doubt.:{:{:{:{

Brachetta
9th Oct 2008, 11:46
Yeh, OK...not the ideal situation...
But we can't change that, can we?
Just out of curiosity which one would you chose if you had to.

Thanks lots and let's just hope the industry picks up soon..

daria-ox
9th Oct 2008, 13:21
Well, its your choice.. I would choose Boeing.. because my dream always was to fly a 747 :E They're both good. Look on the internet, check them both out.. and decide. They're both as good.

But I really don't think you have any chances of employment even with a type rating. It's hard enough for high hours pilot to get a job.. what about low hours..

Anyways, why do you want to do a type rating in current climate? why now :rolleyes:

Celtic Pilot
9th Oct 2008, 13:28
Daria--- Who said they were goin to do one!!!!!! ????? :E

If I had the option and the jobs were avaliable on both, then I would prob do the 737NG, not even to sure why....

BUT there are no jobs, sooooo, moving on!!!!

Brachetta
9th Oct 2008, 13:35
Thanks folks
I am not going to do the rating right now. But I might in the future and wanted to know opinions.

The market is going to improve...I'm an optimist.:ok:

Celtic Pilot
9th Oct 2008, 13:39
fair play, if its more hand flying you want to do, then 737,, just what i heard from frinds in the flying club who fly such as them,... I dont know so no place to comment, its just what i fancy!!!

If you where willing to fund your own TR why not wait until next year for ryr..... Dont listen to peopl who comment and dont even work for them!!!!!!!!!

preduk
9th Oct 2008, 14:23
Dont listen to peopl who comment and dont even work for them

I don't agree with that, you should listen to all opinions and then make your own final decision. People who work for Ryanair will obviously try and make it look better than what it really is, those who don't like Ryanair will try and make it sound worst than it really is.

Personally... I would rather get my instructor rating do something I would enjoy for a year or more and let the airlines pick what aircraft I will fly. I really don't care, as long as I fly and get paid to do it.

INNflight
9th Oct 2008, 14:32
If I'd have to?!? Learjet or Citation Jet, because there's tons of them around and the corporate industry is not heading south juuuust yet.

IrishJetdriver
9th Oct 2008, 17:02
If you do ANY type rating only do it where a job absolutely guaranteed, in blood, holding the chairmans daughter as hostage etc. RYR is a good scheme when it becomes available again as you do get a job offer. It's up to you to pass the course then.

My experience is DHC8, 146 and 738. I find the 738 a good plane in that its a new 40year old aircraft with lots of big switches which for me makes it all easier to visualise. It is also not fly by wire so what you put in is what you get out. I like that. Not to say that I wouldn't enjoy the Airbus but all the same I'm glad to be where I am.

Both TRs are good, but not now.

johnnyDB
9th Oct 2008, 18:06
do the one (whichever) and 'when' you can't find a job... just do the other one!

MIKECR
9th Oct 2008, 18:18
In the current climate I wouldnt touch Bus or Boeing with a barge pole, every man and his dog has a rating for at least 1 of them.

Personally I wouldnt ever...EVER!!....do TR without a job at the end....BUT!!!.....if I had to choose something....i'd probably get myself a rating on a turboprop like an ATR.

Corp/Biz in my opinion is the way to go just now, but very difficult to break into the market without plenty hours under your belt.

TR's without hours on type in the current climate are as useful as inflatable darts boards!!

fadedfootpaths
9th Oct 2008, 18:39
Probably the DC-3:ok:, coz there are as many jobs for the A320/B737 Typed pilots as much as there are for one typed on the DC-3. DONOT get a self sponsored type rating unless you get into a time machine and check that you are flying for the carrier(that promised you a job in the first place before you went for your type).

A lot of people in my country spent loads of $$$ and got themseleves type rated because of "SUCH PROMISES" and finally when they came back home, they found out that most of those companies were actually out of business:ugh::ugh:.

So, for now try to get an Instructor Rating and fill in your logbook with as many hours as possible.

The Industry is sure to improve in a year or two's time, and at that time, if you have about 1000 hours in your loggie, some company might hire you and pay for your type. Just be patient for now.

Happy Landings and Goodluck

Brachetta
9th Oct 2008, 21:16
Thanks to all,
Yes, the type rating is 25K usd and not to be wasted indeed...
Let's see how the market evolves. I keep hearing here about Etihad and Emirates getting units, Fly Dubai starting operations and so on.
But one step at the time...lets first get the ATPL right and then will think about what rating to get, if any :bored:
Happy flight

no sponsor
10th Oct 2008, 00:23
Most of the recent airline failures/cut-backs have come from 737 operators. Without time on type, it is useless. The 737-3/4/5 is fast becoming an obsolete type.

Airbus is much better for options. All major carriers seem to have the Airbus these days.

But without time on type (and significant time, not 500hrs) then they are useless.

flaps 15 3 green
10th Oct 2008, 00:59
I'd go Airbus, then again my viewpoint is bias, i have been flying them for the past decade! Wonderful a/c.

A and C
10th Oct 2008, 12:09
As some one who is currently rated on both the A320 & B737NG may I bring some comments to this debate with a look at A320 v B738.

The Boeing is faster, flies higher, can take more pax, can lift a greater load, can lift that load from a shorter runway, is much better in X-wind and turbulence.

The Airbus has a better CAT3 capability and a better working environment.

In short the Boeing is better in all the important places and the Airbus is a better place to have lunch.................................. a bit like France!

potkettleblack
10th Oct 2008, 13:17
Much better future prospects with a bus rating IMHO. A CCQ from the 320 to the 330 or 340 is a short relatively inexpensive course. 320 rating of course encompasses the entire series from the baby 318 to the 321. Changing Boeing types involves a whole new rating and will cost you an arm and a leg.