PDA

View Full Version : USA entry procedures?

andi0277
8th Oct 2008, 09:19
Hello folks,

sorry if this or a related topic has been already posted, but I didnt find any useful information via a quick search here.

Am going to have my first trip to the US soon, and am just wondering what entry procedures I have to expect. I have a connecting flight from a US Airport to my final destination, and a friend told me I will have to pass all the entry/immigration procedures already on the first airport before travelling on. According to him, my baggage also wont be "checked through" but I will have to take it and check in for the next flight.

Departure time for the connecting flight is about 2:30 to 3h after the arrival time of the first flight. Will this be sufficient to complete the required procedures?

Am EU Citizen with a EU-Passport and am going to stay overseas only for a few days.

Thanks for any helpful information,

Regards,

and wish you a blessed week and comfortable flights.

cjhants
8th Oct 2008, 09:51
hello andi,
firstly 2-3 hours is normally plenty of time to get to your connecting flight. at your US port of entry, you will need to clear immigration, and the queues can be lengthy for non US citizens, especially if there are several wide bodied international flights arriving at the same time. you will then collect your checked bags and pass through customs. assuming you are already checked through to your destination, and have a boarding card, you will normally just drop your bags at a transfer belt in the customs hall, and then go through security and then find your gate for the connecting flight.

how far you have to travel between customs and your new gate depends on which airport you are arriving at. if you can give some more details, i am sure somebody on here will have passed through that airport.

dont forget to complete the advance pax information details online with your airline before you travel.

Hartington
8th Oct 2008, 12:08
See:

Visa Waiver Program (VWP) (http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html)

el #
8th Oct 2008, 17:22
First of all since you've a connecting fly in same booking, you need not to worry as the airline will get you to destination anyway.

Then if you see any delay at immigration, contact the officer that manages the queue. A courteous request showing the occurrence should get you priority.

Customs never takes much time. Just make eye contact with the officers and smile, that is usually enough to avoid an inspection.

The entire process rarely takes over 2hr after landing, pretty much at any location. If you've an MP3 with radio it can be a good time to tune it to kill time in queue.

The 2nd baggage check-in is done by some helpful people just outside customs exit that quickly puts your stuff on a cart and push it back airside. You can now proceed to the gate for your destination, if time is running real short, go to the closer airlines desk and tell 'em you're getting there. They are supposed to know already.

Beside that, when in the USA just remember, bars never have snacks to serve with beers and liquors, but you can bring yours.

lexxity
8th Oct 2008, 18:31
A courteous good morning/afternoon sir/ma'am goes a very long way to speeding your day along.

Which airport please and which airlines?

Hartington
8th Oct 2008, 18:55
"First of all since you've a connecting fly in same booking, you need not to worry as the airline will get you to destination anyway."

It's not the booking that's critical; it's the ticket. With one ticket the delivering carrier is responsible for finding you an alternative way to your destination if their flight is delayed. However, even if there is one booking if you paid for 2 tickets (often done to save money) that's 2 contracts and if you miss the onward you're on your own.

Comus
8th Oct 2008, 19:33
My experience of this was recently flying from Gatwick to Mexico City via Dallas on Amercian Airlines. The immigration queue at DFW was endless and - as had been seated towards the rear of the aircraft - I was at the the back of it. I had two hours to find my connection which seemed plenty until I realised quite how slowly the line was moving.

When I eventaully got to answer the question, "and how long will you be staying in the United States", my simple answer was, "about ten minutes!". This even raised a smile from the Border Protection guy who then stamped my passport extra quick and said, "they know we're busy, and they probably know you are on your way".

The moral of this I think is, if you have a tightly timed connection - and I'd say that was anything under 3 hours these days - try and sit where you can disembark quickly - maybe even politely inform the cabin crew. Once you are off the aircraft - move...! I wondered at the time why some people seemd to rush, but sometimes after 8 hours in once place it takes a while to get going again. Be ready for it. As others have said, once you are through immigration things move fast and if you aret ticketed through with the same carrier you should be OK.

andi0277
9th Oct 2008, 08:20
Hello,

and thanks for your answers. Very informative and helpful.

Port of entry will be probably Detroit, Airline is NWA.

Cheers, and keep smiling :)

cjhants
9th Oct 2008, 11:25
hello again andy,

been through detroit with NWA before. no problem they are in the older of the two terminals (the new one only opened last month), but its still a modern terminal, with a good selection of shops and dining. its a long thin terminal, with a monorail running from one end to another if you dont fancy a long walk.

vendetta
5th Nov 2008, 11:18
When I eventaully got to answer the question, "and how long will you be staying in the United States"

What is the purpose of this dumb question? :confused: I've always wondered about that - as if the IOs couldn't see that on their computer!! :rolleyes: Especially with PNR being transmitted even before the plane arrives. :rolleyes::ugh::* :yuk:

I would love to give a sarcastic answer to that question just because it is so downright stupid, but I guess they wouldn't be on friendly terms with me anymore then.... :rolleyes: :oh::}:cool:

OFBSLF
5th Nov 2008, 14:39
What is the purpose of this dumb question?Probably to see if your answer is the one they are expecting and to look for signs of stress while you are answering. More than a few folks try to sneak into the US. One way would be to book a transiting flight, and just walk out of the airport.

el #
5th Nov 2008, 15:20
OFBSLF,

what you say is not a scenario anymore, after the US has eliminated any passenger transit program following 9/11. Meaning, there is no situation anymore on which you're allowed entry based on the fact that you have a connecting international flight.

Consequently, once one meets visa waiver requirements, or have a visa, the only unacceptable answer to the question, would be "beyond the date I'm allowed to".

Note: even before the elimination of the transit programs, one could not just walk out, because people were kept in a separate, guarded area. So the only result from that, has been loss of business for airlines with destinations in the US.

nivsy
6th Nov 2008, 12:01
Will be connecting at Washington to JFK with United (through ticket from LHR). Connection time is only an hour and 15 minutes. Whats the chances? Are there many International arrivals at Dulles around 11 ish (am)?

Nivsy

VAFFPAX
6th Nov 2008, 13:01
Do keep in mind though that the TSA has new guidelines that will require you to register your details with TSA and your airline at least 72 hours before departure. See the US Embassy pages for the ESTA programme. It applies from 12 January 2009:

Embassy of the U.S. London: Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) (http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/esta.html)

You will still need the Visa Waiver form (which they hand out on the plane). Other than that, I do recommend a minimum of 3 hours for transit - Longer for larger airports (like JFK/LAX):

45 minutes for entering the US (immigration and customs)
Minimum of 2 hours for check in and security check

IAD is bad where this is concerned, you can be guaranteed to stand in the queue for the TSA check for at least an hour, so no, a 1h15 connection time will likely not be sufficient to transit the airport for a connection to JFK. I suggest you speak to United in the first instance to see what they can do.

S.

call100
6th Nov 2008, 16:00
Having recently had a trip to the US Kansas via Newark I can honestly say that the procedures were simplicity itself. I realise it is dependent on the time you arrive, however, I only had 1hour 20minutes to make transfer and did it with time to spare. (only two flights at the customs hall).
Continental did tell me it was their problem to ensure my connection and it would be OK. Lo and behold it was...
Stop worrying and try to enjoy....:ok:

mutt
6th Nov 2008, 19:13
Especially with PNR being transmitted even before the plane arrives. But remember in some cases people enter on PNRs which are one way~ Or at least i will on Saturday.

Mutt

RevMan2
6th Nov 2008, 19:54
I just smile, tell them I'm staying until Saturday/whenever and that I'm on business/vacation and what I'm planning to do.

As long as it matches the visa waiver (and you'd be silly to do otherwise, wouldn't you....), there's never a problem.

gdiphil
7th Nov 2008, 11:28
In September I transited thru Miami on to Bogota and back to London. I found the 2 hours between flights quite adequate. The immigration and customs officials were very pleasant, and the TSA were efficient, smiling and very fast. They were surprised when I refused to get into their X-ray machine but perfectly nice about it and them having to do a pat down. Unlike the horror stories one reads about I must say with one notable exception 14 years ago in Nashville (when AA had a LGW direct flight there), I have found the whole process in the US competently handled in a civilised manner.

paulc
7th Nov 2008, 18:57
Arrived in Orlando a few weeks ago - 3 hours late and were through immigration very quickly (less than 10 mins)

Your airline may have both the forms available at check - I try to get them there and complete before boarding - saves doing on the plane and less chance of making a mistake

andi0277
18th Nov 2008, 12:54
Recently returned from my trip from the U.S. Thanks again to everyone for the helpful information prior to my depature, especially to cjhants. Had a really pleasant stay at the other side of the pond. Immigration and transfer to connecting flight in Detroit was not complicated at all. Friendly officers and professional employees.
I also recommend NWA for international flights from Europe to the US. Good fares and still a good service. Had a good time onboard. The domestic flights with them are a different story...... .
Went through immigration and on to the connecting flight gate in less than an hour. Can imagine it takes longer when there are more flights arriving.

Have a great and blessed week,

happy landings to everyone,

Yes, we can :)

TheWestCoast
19th Nov 2008, 19:52
Couple other time saving hints - don't forget to sign the blue form and, if you check the "been on a farm/ranch/[asture" etc box, be prepared to pull out the shoes you were wearing at the time (if you have them with you) to be taken away and inspected and sprayed. The agriculture inspection folks tend to only do this to shoes during outbreaks of cattle illnesses, though, but you never know.

B Sousa
22nd Nov 2008, 13:32
I transited thru Miami on to Bogota and back to London
If you were headed to Columbia, you can bet your were scrutinized, you just didnt know it...either in Miami or back in London.