PDA

View Full Version : Junk Mail

spheroid
7th Oct 2008, 18:38
Last week I arrived at work only to discover some junk mail in my pigeon hole. It was a glossy leaflet from the DMS (Defence Medical Services) informing me that my medical records were about to be digitised and placed onto a brand new computerised laptop system. Seems the main function of this system is to allow the medics the ability to lose my medical records on a train. At the moment my records are paper only and kept in a secure cabinet where there is little opportunity for them to be lost on a train. Therefore, in order for them to be lost on a train they have to be digitised....

Today I arrive at work and there is another glossy brochure in my pigeon hole. This one if from 1SL himself and has been sent to me (and I presume every other matelot) and informs me that it is not good form to commit fraud and to steal things. Its a good glossy.... lots of guidance about what stealing is...and even gives a link to a "stealing" hotline where I presume I can ask advice as to what constitutes stealing....

I'm guessing that if every sailor received one of these that makes about 36,000 of them..... Hmmm.....probable cost of abut £500 to produce.... and maybe the same to post to everyone.....so, Circa £1000.....or...about the same as 50 Navbags..... or something else useful.....

pigsinspace
7th Oct 2008, 23:58
A nav bag is not the most useful thing I can think of,
Go to Argos only about 35 quid.

Grabbers
8th Oct 2008, 10:12
Spheroid,

The question has to be whether the missive you received was written in spectacularly condescending and patronising yoof text speak? I refer to the god awful 'Uneed2Know'. For those that had the fortune to miss it, 'Uneed2Know' was a summary of what the RAF was up to, all in highest quality, shiniest, glossiest print. Not a complete waste of cash at all, honest sir. Innit.

dallas
8th Oct 2008, 10:46
I thought Uneed2Know's biggest failing was that actually we didn't need to know - it should have been called ThoseWhuRstillInterestedNeed2Know or IfURTryin2ImpressYrBossUNeed2Know.

There's lots of stuff we need to know, but little that was included in that swiftly irrelevant missive. The idea was good, but then the potential quickly squandered with 'New radar maintenance contract for the Merlin from 2017'-type stories...blah blah.

One of my favourites for pointlessness was the glossy about the F540 - although it was fairly interesting compared to the plethora of crap we get sent.