PDA

View Full Version : Chances of Employment

cleared-touch-and-go
7th Oct 2008, 18:31
Hello there,

I am a modular wannabe working his way through the various stages of training towards ATPL. In the current financial climate, I am trying to do as much of my training abroad to make it as economical as possible.

My UK based training provider have told me that doing too much (or all) of my training abroad will affect my chances of getting a job once I am in posession of my fATPL. Is this a cunning ploy to get more money out of me or is there point a valid one?

Any opinions greatly welcome and appreciated

CTAG.

cleared-touch-and-go
7th Oct 2008, 18:33
Oh dear, "Their" point - I do apologise!

spinnaker
7th Oct 2008, 19:02
More to the point, are you able to postpone your training, or have you already gone too far in?

I guess you have already looked at other threads about jobs. Not good.

PAJ
7th Oct 2008, 21:59
Speaking from experience, I did my PPL in Florida and was very pleased with the training. They said I could do the course including night rating and all theory exams in 23 days - I did it in 19. They quoted me £3500, I paid them £3660 so not at all bad. Accommodation was included so my only other expenses were flights out there and living costs. I was very pleased with it initially, but when I cam back to fly over here, I got quite a shock to the system. You have to be able to navigate properly and the radios are very different indeed. I spent the money for a few hours orientation training which was definitely the safe option in hindsight. I think it is fair comment that doing most of your training abroad will not stand you in great stead. I have mentioned the RT difference, which I guess aren't too bad to get your head around. But it's the other little quirks that you get over here which greatly increase your workload like MATZ penetrations, significant amounts of controlled airspace, having to deal with transition levels etc. - all in themselves small things to consider but they do make things quite a bit tougher (well I found it tough anyway!). Maybe try to budget to do say the last 20 hours of your hour-building, your CPL and IR over here if you can. You will be very confortable with UK airspace and procedures that way. Just my 2 pence worth.

jamess115
7th Oct 2008, 22:21
This may seem an obvious question but i would really love for somebody to tell me how people are expected to obtain work in the UK?

I am obviously out of touch living in the United States currently, but what are you UK boys doing after you graduate? The economy is bad of course which is affecting jobs but can somebody tell me what the current course of action is?

It is completely unreasonable to expect a Pilot to pay 20,000 + Pounds for a UK Type Rating and Line experience in addition to a previous investment. This is joke quite frankly. :ugh:

Being an FAA CFI with a UK fATPL, i would also be interested in knowing if the UK Airlines are likely to hire someone with more hours in a Cessna? in UK Airspace if i decided to go the CFI Conversion route.

Slipstream86
7th Oct 2008, 22:24
IR over here if you can

Yeah definitely ! or at least in JAA land :}

cleared-touch-and-go
7th Oct 2008, 22:37
Spinnaker - no I am not too far in to postpone - I am half way through my PPL so I am hoping that by the time I have finished my Modular training at a steady pace (ie with a few gaps in between for working and saving) the job prospects may be a little better. I appreciate there is no guarantee of this but it is out of my hands so I'll just keep my head down and keep going.

PAJ - Really appreciate that info. I was planning to do some training in the UK but I was wondering weather Spain et al are suitable (ie JAA Land) or whether the differences in the UK extend to the rest of Europe as well.

The learning and the picking things up I am not too worried about - I am motivated to work hard and acquire all the knowledge it takes - I am more concerned about the viewpoint of an employer. As long as you have received adequate training, are they THAT fussed about where it took place? You can understand my cynical view on my FTO telling me to do more in the UK (ie where it is dearer!)

Anyway, thanks for the replies - had anyone anything further to add?? Once again, all views are greatly appreciated.

greenslopes
7th Oct 2008, 22:53
If you started with thoughts of a quick path to Airline flying then you may be dissapointed. Having said that I would have been far poorer a pilot if I finished my trng and went straight into an airline and missed all the G.A learning experiences.
There may not be an abundance of jobs but for the dedicated you will get there, remember the people who see obstacles are those who have lost sight of the goal.
I spent 1 1/2 years out of flying because the job market was tight, changed tack and went to PNG and am now flying for a major airline.
When I finally did make it to the Airlines I was so bored(proffessionally)compared to stick and rudder bush flying that I almost chucked it in and returned to PNG...............but then I looked around the bar and appreciated the Pounds Sterling in my pocket and decided to enjoy the benefits.
Take the path less travelled and you will be richer for the experience.
There is a lot of sacrifice involved but I found it totally worthwhile.
Good Luck and Howl at the moon ocasionally(no-one will listen or care but you'll feel better for it)