PDA

View Full Version : Any good flights schools in the North West London area?

SKM
6th Oct 2008, 18:17
Hi All,

Firstly apologies for asking this question as I'm sure it's been asked many times before (though searching for similar threads I've not found much).

I'm finally in a position where I'd like to learn how to fly, it's something I've wanted to do since I was young and for one reason or another have not had the time/ opportunity to do so. I'm not doing this to pursue a career in flying, if I really take to it I suppose the most I'd do is a PPL.

So, for that initial 'special' flight, I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for schools nearby to me. I live in Pinner which is NW London, so I'm quite close to M1 and M40 links out of town. I suppose my two key criteria are location and cost. I don't want to find myself driving over 40 miles to the school, nor do I want to be paying through the nose for a few minutes in the air. Furthermore decent instruction is also of importance.

If any of you have any advice, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and all the best.

SKM

1800ed
6th Oct 2008, 19:46
Denham and Wycombe Air Park are both close to you, Denham would be the closest and it's not as busy as Wycombe, which is hectic on the weekends when the sun decides to show it's face.

Grasscarp
7th Oct 2008, 10:23
Elstree is another airfield which is close to Pinner.

G CEXO
7th Oct 2008, 10:32
Denham is just so overly priced if your flying with Cabair. £10,000 for a PPL?....surely that should make your eyes water :}

G-XO

ali1986
7th Oct 2008, 13:53
i did part of my ppl at elstree with cabair which was nice, if a little expensive.

SKM
7th Oct 2008, 20:15
Okay so Denham and Wycombe = good but mucho expensive (with Cabair) as is Elstree. Do any of you have any views on Luton?

G CEXO
7th Oct 2008, 20:21
Go for stapleford. PPL all in for around £7000 and thats where I'll be starting mine this month. They are in Essex if that makes it alright for you.

G-XO

SKM
7th Oct 2008, 20:29
Not exactly round the corner but I will take a look all the same. Thanks very much.

hiteshshah
1st Jun 2009, 15:55
Hi,
I live in Pinner as well and had a trial lesson at The Pilot Centre based at Denham last week. I also checked out Firecrest and FlyTeam at Elstree. Decision time!

Who did you go with?

Hitesh

TheRich23
1st Jun 2009, 16:23
Did my PPL at Wycombe, got it done for £6500.00. Good school, affiliated with CabAir also I think. Open late, til 8pm, Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun if that helps...

Need money
2nd Jun 2009, 08:44
I am not a fixed "winger"...

...but would have to say I find all the facilites at Wycombe to be excellent.

And while it may be a busy airfield (at times) - the ATC is also excellent, and very friendly, and flying into other airfields is not so much as a fear after Wycombe !

A and C
2nd Jun 2009, 10:43
Please take a very hard look at what you are being sold, some of the clubs have a policy of telling you a price but "forget" to tell you about the extra charges (landings, pre & post flight briefing, VAT etc).

Only when you have included all these "add on's" can you find out the best deal for you.

The two clubs with the clearest pricing policy in your area are the WLAC at White Waltham and the British Airways Flying Club at WAP. Both are clubs that are operated with a very ethical business attitude.

If I was starting out the BAFC at WAP would get my money but they are only a "short head" in front of the WLAC, The rest of the field is about 5 furlongs back in terms of customer service OR value for money.