PDA

View Full Version : flight training??

hightower1986
6th Oct 2008, 11:32
Hi i am from the uk and looking at doing my PPL in SA, i know converting the ICAO Ppl to a JAA one is reasonably straight forward but does anyone know how relevant a SA Night rating and Instrument rating are in the uk? and does anyone have any reccomendations for flight schools? i have tried emailing SkyAfrica but the e mail keeps being returned as unsent i have also looked at TH aviation Connexions and also Loutzavia
many thanks
James

aintboeingaintgoing
7th Oct 2008, 07:41
Hi James

As far as I understand the PPL and the night rating is pretty simple to convert to the UK equivalent, however the instrument rating combined with the CPL is not as easy, you have to do 15 hours on the sim and 10 hours flying and then do the CPL IR test here in the UK as if you had done all of the training here, at a cost of about 7K

I did all of my flying in SA, in-between doing the flying i did UK ATPL subjects, I am thinking of 1) doing the CPL IR in SA and then coming back and converting it across to the UK CPL IR as mentioned above) or 2) Just taking the 150 hours i have now and doing the CPL IR here in the UK.....

Still have not made up my mind yet.....

Hope this helps slightly
:ok: