PDA

View Full Version : New instructors rating syllabus (SA)

fly1981
5th Oct 2008, 06:50
Hi All,

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the implementation of the new instructors rating syllabus. Does anyone have any information on this topic? I am very interested in doing my instructors rating. I hold a ICAO ATPL with around 2500hrs total time. When is this syllabus expected to come into effect? What are the new requirements for the rating? there seems to be a lot of talk about MCC time required etc etc. I have just come from the SACAA website, where I have been trying to find some information. From what I see on the website, it doesnt even seem like you can book the exams over the internet anymore, unless im looking in the wrong place. The main thing mentioned on the website is 'online exams', although, there doesnt seem to be anymore info regarding these 'online exams'. Has anyone written them? are they the same as the old written exams, just online? Is the new syllabus changing the required flight time for the rating?
Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Fly safe everyone

mkenya
5th Oct 2008, 14:54
At the moment. The papers will be written online at schools.
Loutzavia at Wonderboom and SAFTA at Rand airport are the two schools offering the written papers.
From the info I got at SAFTA, you can write the papers anytime you wish by booking for the exam 24 hours before you write. The cost per paper I think is R410 and there are two papers.
Hope this helps.
Happy landings

safta
5th Oct 2008, 15:08
There is a meeting at Rand Airport on Tuesday morning between the CAA and the flight schools that have been involved in the proving course for what was going to be the new JAR-FCL aligned FI course. However, it appears that the minimum requirements for the FI course will be considerably watered down and the minimum requirements will be as follows:

12 hours of theory
26 hours of long briefings
18 hours of air briefings
20 hours of patter of which 5 can be in an approved simulator

Additionally, the four theory subjects will continue to be set as two individual exams but are now available online in multiple choice and can be written at any time. Most significantly, the entry requirements for commencing with FI training is an SACAA CPL. The theory exams only need to be passed prior to the final proficiency check ride.

The following flight schools are currently approved for online instructor exam testing at their facilties:

43 Air School, Port Alfred
Airline Pilots Training Center, Port Elizabeth
Babcock Central Flying Academy, Grand Central Airport
Base 4, Cape Town
Cape Town Flight Training Center
Flight Training College, George
Loutzavia, Wonderboom
South African Flight Training Academy, Rand Airport
Virginia Flight School, Durban
Westline Aviation, BloemfonteinThe CAA charges the flight schools R220 per candidate per exam and so the schools will have to mark up the price to cover their costs. There is a move to try to get the CAA to share a percentage of the R220 with the testing centres and thereby reduce the cost to the candidates, especially seeing as the CAA incurs no administrative or facility cost related to exams taken at these centres.

As soon as a candidate passes at least one exam (paper), they have two more attempts to pass the second exam.

safta
5th Oct 2008, 15:13
Hi Mkenya,

We have decided to add R100 plus VAT to the R220 charged by the CAA, so SAFTA will charge R334 per flight instructor exam. Considering that we invested R110,000 in our testing centre, with a live T1 link to the CAA so that they can view our students writing in real time, plus having an invigilator present at all times, plus the cost of the office space and the electricity running the computers, lights and airconditioner, we believe this mark up to be very fair.

If the CAA decides to share the R220 they receive with us, and at least 50% of the amount as a minimum, then we will reduce the price to R220 per sitting at that time.

Regards
SAFTA

mkenya
6th Oct 2008, 17:46
Thanks lots for the info safta. Hopefully this shall go a long way in reducing the current shortage of instructors the industry is currently experiencing