PDA

View Full Version : Going to Orlando Flight Training Centre

welshshaunze
3rd Oct 2008, 16:02
To anyone who has trained or training there i am on the verge of attending a pro pilot course in april 2008 and wondering about oppinions of first hand experience there! let me know please thanks
shaun

bajadj
3rd Oct 2008, 16:08
you're a few months late then!!! ;)

welshshaunze
5th Oct 2008, 22:14
are you going there? if so im enrolling on the feburary course but i already hold a ppl so i miss first section out and join the atpl ground school.

Brian304
6th Oct 2008, 02:36
Very expensive place to be. Prepare another 30% of your course fee's on top. Though I must admit I had a fun time over there, but that was 2 years ago. Nice people inside the school. Remember to go to disneyland to see the famous mouse.

Brian304:ok:

eikido
6th Oct 2008, 09:31
You have to take MCC and JAA IR. I'm pretty sure that is not included in the price. Could be wrong though.:}

Eikido

ladybird380
6th Oct 2008, 11:50
Hi,

I would appreciate if anyone doing modular JAA CPL at OFT right now could give some feed back regarding the school,the planes,instructors,availability,hidden costs,etc....(Don't tell me to look at their website,it's not the same as being there!)

Thanks

LB380

Boingboingdriver
6th Oct 2008, 12:13
To the guy wondering if the florida school is a good choice...
Well depends what your career plans are....
If you are planning to stay in the USA..(ie getting married) well youll become an airline pilot...remember though major airlines request a bachelor degree( 4year uni equivalent in any field,2 year in uk should be enough) and a good amount of hours to apply...difficult but possible..friend of mine went to the usa same time as me ..after instructing,he flew c402..then crjs as fo then captain and finally United airlines last year...he got married in the process...

If you decide to return and fly a jet with 200 hours which is only possible in europe..i STRONGLY recommend you save your money and do all in your country (UK )..
Because airlines will not be impressed by your cpl in florida..and you will most probably struggle with your IR in uk airspace and your bill will be way higher than planned..

Sometimes easier solutions are not the best ones....so my recommendations is go tanning after your uk licence:E

I know about the conversions since i initially did my licence in the states many years ago..got a job there and then few years after decided to return home..and had to spend 9 months full time ATPL groundschool and ir with about 3000 hours on turboprops..I then got a job flying jet and upgraded a year later.

Good luck!:ok:

Boingboingdriver
6th Oct 2008, 18:52
el cabron,,well it seems you did your homework..many factors may have changed since i went through all these steps and some great experiences to get my atpl ... but the only advise i can give you is go to your CAA(UK) gatwick i believe and ask them if they officially recognize the school you are mentioning(FLYING AND THEORY)... and ask them for a letter confirming it..so if you ever miss the mist,rain,fog,green grass and hot tea in summer , your efforts in florida will be validated back home:-)

In any case i wish you all the best in your training and career.

welshshaunze
6th Oct 2008, 22:40
i believe that orlando flight training is in connection with cabair i believe? and that is a highly recommended training school? anyone know otherwise?

Kyriakos
7th Oct 2008, 03:30
just started my jaa pro pilot course today. tom is my first flying. im at the earliest stage of that long long trip. so i ll be able to provide feedback later on.
as of now, everyone seems great and willing to help. its good to know that ur money is worth it. there are some brilliant instructors also.
and yes, u need to convert through cabair after doing ur atpl and thats another big issue, ground school takes place here, so that also saves tons of money.
good luck..

welshshaunze
7th Oct 2008, 07:33
see you there in april then!

Daniel777
8th Oct 2008, 21:21
Hey guys,

A few quick questions:

I am planning to go to OFT for my CPL once I have my ATPL's done.
Basically is it Orlando Flight Training or Cabair that will be in my CV??
If I have done my ATPL's with Bristol or CATS it is possible to do my CPL at OFT right?
After that maybe considering to do ME/IR at Malaga or back in the UK with Cabair.

Thanks alot,

Danny

Brian304
8th Oct 2008, 22:19
OFT is connected with cabair, though your logbook will only say orlando flight training. You will have to state OFT in your C.V. When you finish your ATPL's it will be possible to do your CPL in OFT, but I would reccommend you do at least one thing in the UK CPL or IR. Though malaga is a good place to do the IR, busy airport though.

Brian304:8

Daniel777
9th Oct 2008, 10:55
Thank you:ok:

MajesticMav
28th Oct 2008, 04:02
consider oft as the weathers pretty good right now but expect a hefty hidden fuel surcharge ($25 per hour) for single and ($50 p/h) for the twin. but atpls and regular flying the reviews dont seem to good.

BigGrecian
28th Oct 2008, 12:32
Prepare another 30% of your course fee's on top.

Thats standard for any school - a minimum of 15-30% - anyone who doesn't budget this is living on another planet.

IR conversion from FAA IR is not easy - the guys I lived with went at least 50% over budget on conversion without exception.

For the record I didn't attend OFT.