PDA

View Full Version : Air China

adampettifer
3rd Oct 2008, 13:22
Hi I have to take an internal flight in china from Beijing to Hohhot with Air China I was just wondering what there safety record is like and if it is safe to fly with them
Thanks

raffele
3rd Oct 2008, 20:00
Unfortunately the media have picked up on two turbulence incidents with air china in the past week or so - scare tactics, as they happen to every airline around the world. I think you'll find the relevant thread in Rumours and News.

However, although I have no knowledge of Air China, I'm guessing they are as safe as any European airline as they aren't on the no fly list!

Sorry I can't be much help, but I wouldn't worry - they are a major airline in China

Contacttower
3rd Oct 2008, 21:32
Air China habitually suffers from being confused with China Airlines of Taiwan. The two are completely different airlines with one having a rather better reputation for safety than the other....

Air China I believe is considered a 'safe' airline; since starting in 1988 it has had one major accident which was attributed to serious pilot error with poor ATC a contributing factor. Other than that it has had a few minor bumps on the ground at various airports (but who hasn't?) so not too bad really....

China Airlines on the other hand (the one involved in the recent turbulence incident) is generally considered less safe (although we'd be interested to hear what the latest industry view on this is) having had a string of incidents and accidents since starting in 1970 with its fatal accident rate per million flight hours being 3.21 compared to less than 2 for most airlines.

Load Toad
4th Oct 2008, 02:44
Air China are fine, flown on them since '95 no problems with them at all.

Infact these days most airlines in China are very good. Don't expect polite chit chat fromn the cabin because that won't happen - seems to be policy that the plane drivers concentrate on being pilots and the cabin is left to the cabin crew.

And yes remember:
Air China - State airline of P.R.China
China Airlines - Taiwan (Renegade Province, Nationalist China or Independent State depending on your views)

raffele
4th Oct 2008, 12:25
Whoops! Should really have checked my facts first!

However, I'm glad my assumption about Air China was right! :)

adampettifer
5th Oct 2008, 11:27
Thanks for the info much appreciated!! I feel a bit better and safer to fly with them now!!

World Traveller
7th Oct 2008, 13:44
There is nothing wrong with Air China within China, just like taking a plane in Europe or the USA except you get fed!