PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled or charter to the Maldives?

DJFish
3rd Oct 2008, 09:58
Gentlemen and ladies,

I was supposed to be diving in the Maldives in a weeks time, then like a total pillock I managed to break my arm so have had to cancel (and am typing one handed).

We were supposed to be flying with Emirates but after reading some of the posts on here I'm not so sure that was the right choice.

When we come to re-book would it be better to go with an upgraded charter seat rather than scheduled?

I'm not really interested in IFE or what the food is like, all I really care about is seat size/pitch as I'm 6'4" and would like to feel my legs after the flight, we can make our own entertainment like they used to in the old days.

Any opinions would be most welcome,

Dave

apaddyinuk
3rd Oct 2008, 22:23
Im not sure you would get decent legroom on a charter to be honest. However Qatar Airways are pretty generous with seat pitch. Moreso on the LHR-DOH-LHR sectors as the flights are operated by the A330 or A340. The bit down to the Maldives is generally an A320 but still not too bad and its the shorter flight anyway.

longarm
4th Oct 2008, 07:15
If you want upgraded Charter then you will probably get better seat pitch. Monarch Premium will give you 34", with first choice I think its 36" and with Thomas cook 35".

You may get this on Emirates depending on what aircraft is operating but you could get less, not sure about Qatar. Generally the charter premium product offers good value on these long sectors.

Musket90
4th Oct 2008, 08:41
Non-stop charter flights seem to be less frequency than before with only Monarch and First Choice/Thomson from UK to Male this winter and Monarch from Gatwick only. I don't think Thomas Cook Airlines fly to Male. Having done both Emirates and charter my preference is charter every time, particularly now seat pitch on First Choice/Thomson long haul is 33" or 36" premium. Not sure the extra cost for premium is worth it though. Monarch's pitch is less for both cabins.

One of the difficulties with Emirates is getting good connecting times in Dubai, particularly on the return when often the only option is around 0200hrs return flight from Male which can result in extra expense due no transfer from your resort to the airport at night. There would be opportunity though to fly on A380 Heathrow-Dubai.

Other option is Sri lanka Airlines who from this winter do outbound and return non-stop Heathrow-Male.

There's also Qatar Airways via Doha.

VS-LHRCSA
6th Oct 2008, 00:57
I was going to suggest Sri Lankan but I see Musket90 beat me too it. Other than that, I would go for Qatar Airways.

Nobend
7th Oct 2008, 12:56
I can't speak for the LHR - DOH leg but having flown from Doha Male half a dozen times with Qatar I would suggest them. Its always been an A300 or was it 330 outbound and a 321 inbound, don't know why.

greggx101
8th Oct 2008, 19:46
First choice is your first choice if they still do it from LGW - i had a Lovely Sunday evening flight down there last March even in economy. Nice pitch, nice service, nice flight time. no stops.