3rd Oct 2008, 08:35
So who didn't see the big red fire engine parked while towing the 747 ......doh

bracebrace!
3rd Oct 2008, 09:33
http://bryanhead1.home.comcast.net/needpics.gif

:ok:

MaxDiff
3rd Oct 2008, 10:04
Yesterday lunchtime someone parked a fire engine on the edge of the taxiway between the BA west base run-pen & the adjacent BAA security post. Unfortunately the BA 744 heading into the west base has a wing span = 'X' & the space available between the pen & the parked fire engine was 'X'- several ft. Hence 1 bent fire engine & 1 badly damaged RB211. I understand a lot of photo's were being taken by the gathering throng of officials etc, so sure 1 will turn up before too long. :{

ukdean
3rd Oct 2008, 12:49
Lets judge when we see pic....... Someone put the pic up...

Skipness One Echo
3rd Oct 2008, 15:55
We must not judge Mr Jumbo by his lifestyle, however bent he may be. Perhaps he likes firemen? Does he get teased by the main(stream)line fleet a lot I wonder? We must be told.....

I'll get me coat.......:ooh:

Joetom
4th Oct 2008, 06:44
Rainboe makes a good point.

The amout of damage to aircraft on the ground(not pilot induced) is eye watering, no passengers about keeps it low profile, airlines don't much like making public any damage to aircraft, just get it fixed or scrap it and pass the bill to the insurance company and we can all pay for it.

May be an insurance type could put a figure on these events, get the tissues ready !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

onetrack
4th Oct 2008, 08:24
Seem to recall coming across a couple of 'abandoned' RAAF Caribou, just on dusk, at Corrigin airstrip, maybe 25 years ago .. wearing a couple of somewhat buckled wingtips!! .. :p

Seems like someone .. who remains nameless .. misjudged the length of a Caribou wing! .. or the proximity of the other parked Caribou .. when they went to do a 180 at the end of the strip! .. :ooh:

I'll wager there was an awful lot of, "Yes Sir!" .. "No, Sir!" .. "Yes, Sir" .. from someone standing rigidly to attention, at Pearce, the following week! .. :O

HZ123
4th Oct 2008, 11:45
Cannot resist a comment as close to source of this. There are more damage to aircraft accidents at LHR / LGW than the rest of the stations we serve. That may be to do with the fact that both locations have the most movements. However, what you cannot deny is that as the company has no disciplinary control over the ramp operation accidents will continue. There have been a number of major incicents the example of the 747 being towed into the back of the 777 to name but one. A number of the accidents are genuine mistakes and a number are caused by staff that could not give a toss, fail to follow the procedures and know full well that nothing will happen to them anyway.

Maude Charlee
4th Oct 2008, 11:57
It's not bent, it's gender confused.

VP8
6th Oct 2008, 23:44
error...............

Leezyjet
7th Oct 2008, 10:27
HZ123,

I know what you are saying, but the problem with that is that if someone does have an accident, and ends up being disciplined for it, obviously other people on the ramp will get to hear about it. Then if they ever have an accident, it discourages them from reporting it (which could be catastrophic depending on the nature of the damage) as they will be thinking about saving their own @$$/Job etc rather than reporting the damage so it can be fixed.

I think the new line in ramp safety is to try and get people to actually report the damage they have done and only disciplining if it is found they were negligent in some way, that way it encourages more people to report things so they can be fixed.

The ramp is one of the most dangerous places anybody can work, and accidents are inevitable, although I do agree when you say there are allot that are caused simply by people who don't give a toss, which unfortunately is down side of the ground handling side of the aviation industry.

VP8
8th Oct 2008, 03:20
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/KMCLEAN/fire.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/KMCLEAN/engine.jpg

onetrack
8th Oct 2008, 03:27
Lack of judgement, pure and simple. Someone needs to instil better judgement training in tug operators, or maybe just get tug operators with better judgement. The potential flow-on dangers from ground damage are just too great to ignore. Perhaps they need to install proximity warning devices on ground equipment? - then I guess the idiots will be able to ignore them .. :rolleyes:

Adi54321
8th Oct 2008, 15:39
There seems to be a certain amount of statements that show an ignorance of the facts. Do we know if the a/c was being towed on the correct line ? Or was the vehicle parked where it should not have been ?

Tight Accountant
8th Oct 2008, 21:16
Just a bit of trivia; wonder if it was the same tug driver who was involved in the G-BNLE incident some years ago?