PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instruction in SE Asia

HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE
3rd Oct 2008, 05:56
Hey just looking for a little advice this is my first post! Don't worry I've read this forum for awhile and researched flight instruction jobs in SE Asia so my question isn't... so whats it like?:ok:

My question is what is the best schools to work for in this part of the world? The ones I'm aware of our...

China:

Juitan Spartan- I've been in touch with them and they basically said if I'm interested they'll take things to the next step. I've heard mixed things about the operation of this academy.

Beijing PanAm-Heard terrible things though supposedly it pays more.

Thailand:

Nakom Phanom: Also heard bad things about this company and not just oh well the students are pushed through (like most Asia), I heard that the school is on its way out and instructors are having trouble being paid? Not to mention ridiculous mis-management issues.

Phillipines:

Clark Aviation Institute: heard great things but do they take FAA licenses? Seems very professional and safe!

Cambodia:

just kidding

Vietnam:

No GA

Laos and Burma:

??????

I've really got a fix to travel and since the airlines probably won't be picking me up anytime soon I figure the flight school way is my best bet! The only issue of course is money, my student loans run me about 650/ mo USD (ouch) but thats the only bill I'd have to float back home here in the States.

Oh and my resume is FAA certs with Comm/Multi/Instrument with 1200TT, 540 Instruction, 720 PIC, 50 Multi, and 280 Turbine on the PC-12. Two years ago I would have been gold to fly some heavy metal here but now I'm stuck. Either way I'm not in a rush to build time I do about 80/month here in Miami, I'm just looking to get a change of scenery and live a decent lifestyle!

Anyways, any advice, spirious generalities, or other mentionable flight schools I missed whatever don't hesitate!

Thanks again.

ZFT
3rd Oct 2008, 09:18
the students are pushed through (like most Asia)

With that sort of preconception I would suggest Asia is not for you.

HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE
3rd Oct 2008, 23:28
well thats to be seen I currently instruct in Miami

ozthai
5th Oct 2008, 16:32
You are very right about Thailand... Nakon Phanom.

Big money to set up but a stupid location and bad planning from the start.

smiling monkey
6th Oct 2008, 01:51
What's wrong with the location? Bad weather? Too much schedule commercial traffic interfering with training? Or not enough go-go bars in town? :E

HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE
6th Oct 2008, 03:07
i can't find it now... but i read an extensive thread about the chief pilot and the school basically going under... too bad i'd prefer thailand over china but i can't find any other flight schools there

smiling monkey
6th Oct 2008, 04:21
Is this the school you refer to? http://www.npu.ac.th/iac/about us (http://www.npu.ac.th/iac/personal%20pic/about%20us.html)

It looks like a well run operation. Can you be a little more specific? I have a friend looking to instruct in Asia as well. China doesn't seem to be the best option if the the posts here on prune is anything to go by.

HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE
6th Oct 2008, 05:07
http://www.pprune.org/flying-instructors-examiners/297343-iac-npu.html

Thats the thread about NPU in the flight instruction forum, I talked to their recruiter via email awhile back, they're looking for 1500TT and 700 dual given, though I've seen other job postings from them more recently for just the 700 dual given. Take it for what it is, I've also heard ruminations of a new flight school starting up there. I don't have any info though, either way I can't really afford to leave MIA until December/January anyways...

Jango
6th Oct 2008, 05:58
There are a couple in Indonesia as well, I will dig out the contact info. - on china, also a buddy of mine went to instruct there just 2 months ago, and the offer got less and less each time they sent it reduced housing allowance etc always something taken away. In the end they could not even confirm if they could get him a work permit!

Anonymus6
7th Oct 2008, 10:38
If you guys have a JAA instructor rating, there will be some good oppotunities in Middle East, good pay, they require 500 dual given and JAA license (prefer JAA). It seems these days that JAA will open many other doors than FAA.

Good luck out,

kwaiyai
8th Oct 2008, 05:46
NP Website is a B.S. Baffles all Brains Smiling Monkey. U can take that any way U want,
U also have been warned,:* Its like the clowns on a certain Island,

smiling monkey
8th Oct 2008, 07:39
Thanks for the warning. My friend has more than the minimum hours they're asking but it's a flight instructors' market out there right now so he'll take his services elsewhere.

Jonny BS
10th Oct 2008, 02:28
Hey Kwayai
Nice to see you again here. Yes the club is a joke. For political reasons they are still going. Unlimited deep govt pockets. Thailand is after all a very wealthy country (esp with all those tourist dollars) and can afford to throw money at a project with no accountability.
There are problems there, mainly due to management or lack there of.
go here Home - Thaivisa.com (http://www.thaivisa.com), the isaan forum and look for IAC.

And since they started flying ops (in may) they have lost 4 FI this includes the CFI and standards manager.

And yes you can take this info any way you like.

JBS

Passenger 07
11th Oct 2008, 23:25
Yes,

IAC is very stringent about Flight Instructors and has sacked 4 instructors including the Standard and Quality Manager (in this case because of serious incident(s) involving safety). They are now replaced by first class real professionals and yes Qatar is happy by the training done there and has decided to give more training.... and yes, 3 Major Airlines are in discussions for sending cadets in few months (instead of sending in Europe and Australia).
I understand the frustration of those sacked guys, now the Go-Go bars of Udon Thani are out of reach!!!!

HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE
12th Oct 2008, 01:15
Whats the salary for these flight schools?

knee how
12th Oct 2008, 01:54
After reading all this, you STILL want to come to Asia to work? Things must really really really be bad in the US, heh?

Read the BBPIA thread to get an idea of pay structure there. Queuing outside Jigaou's Restaurant with the beggars will earn you more. Bring your own begging bowl.

tbavprof
12th Oct 2008, 03:52
They are now replaced by first class real professionals

Read: ex-RTAF (aka Chicken Flight) and a few Euros (much easier to speak French when you stray into Laos or Kampuchea).

I understand the frustration of those sacked guys, now the Go-Go bars of Udon Thani are out of reach!!!!

NP is long way from Udon (unless you travel by Mercedes). And Udon wouldn't even make the TopTen list of go-go bar (or soapies) destinations in Thailand. Which karaoke bar do you have the mia noi stashed in Pax07? Trading maintenance funds for flowers wreaths?

HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE
12th Oct 2008, 04:23
Well I work in Miami so that only half counts as the US and at least the pay nets a decent lifestyle over there

kwaiyai
14th Oct 2008, 09:46
Thats not quite what I understand about the Sacked FI. I hear that the BKK HQ was not aware plus one guy had to be paid off cos he was unfairly dismissed and remember the Thai law favours the employee even though it takes an eternity. := I maintain my previous IAC website equals BS Baffling Brains. Have a nice day

Jonny BS
14th Oct 2008, 10:53
Pax07
Your reputation as a Manager proceeds you. You can only to harm to IAC.

Instructors:
I recommend all those guys thinking of coming to Asia to work to steer clear of IAC.

HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE
15th Oct 2008, 04:55
Just found this school the other day... any thoughts?

Thai Flying School - Everyone Can Fly (http://www.thaiflyingschool.com/)

tbavprof
15th Oct 2008, 05:27
This is the old Thai Flying club in Chon Buri/Pattaya. They've got approval to operate as a flight school (PPL) now, and are teaming up with the local rajabhat university to try and seem like ERAU. So, one of the oldest GA ops in Thailand, but one of the newest schools.

A decent group. But the proximity to Pattaya guarantees a lot of competition for any foreign FI slots. And if weekends at the go-go bars are your aim, life will be better for you in Chon Buri-Pattaya than Nakon Phanom-Udon Thani.;)

ZFT
15th Oct 2008, 09:17
And if weekends at the go-go bars are your aim, life will be better for you in Chon Buri-Pattaya than Nakon Phanom-Udon Thani.

Maybe not as the Chon Buri-Pattay authorities are now enforcing a ban on bars operating before 6pm.

kwaiyai
16th Oct 2008, 06:47
I suggest you also make sure that the school gets off the ground first too.

FSJ
21st Oct 2008, 07:15
Passenger 07
Very appropriate name, since I hear that your role at IAC is more that of a passenger than a manager!:ok:

'and has sacked 4 instructors including the Standard and Quality Manager'
In my experience, I have never seen more than 1 or 2 FIs being sacked at any one time by an FTO. Sacking 4 suggests to me that something is very wrong there.
As regards the SQM, lets see the outcome of the pending civil legal action to determine whether or not you were justified in sacking this manager!:ooh:

'They are now replaced by first class real professionals'
Not from what I have been hearing! Having said that, in most FTOs you will find a variety of FIs, both good and bad standard. Pity that the good ones are fed up with you already!:ugh:

'yes Qatar is happy by the training done there and has decided to give more training'
Qatar is in a mess from what I hear. Good school, high standard of FIs (best in ME region). HOWEVER, Doha Airport has reached capacity (very few training slots available), and they are unable to cope with the high student numbers in training. IAC is an interim (desperate) solution until these issues are resolved.
For the moment, it is good news for your restaurant business though! IAC - International Aviation (or should that be Arabian?) Cuisine!:=

'3 Major Airlines are in discussions for sending cadets in few months'
You really never tire of this line! I have heard it countless times already. If I was an airline boss, I would tell you anything to get you out of my face and shut you up before my head exploded listening to your BS! :oh:

'the Go-Go bars of Udon Thani are out of reach!!!!'
You really are paranoid about Udon Thani! There are far better entertainment facilities available in other Thai cities in comparison to Udon Thani! If what you say is true, I am sure those Go Go Bars in Udon have gone bankrupt since you sacked your FIs!

kwaiyai :D
You are right on the money!

Jonny BS :D
as are you!

HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE
22nd Oct 2008, 00:54
Another one I just applied to in Malaysia!

Gulf Golden International Flying Academy ¨CGGIFA- Aviation Training (http://www.ggifa.org/index.htm)

FSJ
5th Nov 2008, 11:51
I have just come accross this on You Tube. Should give you an idea of IAC:
YouTube - IAC Nakhon Phanom University, the crashing flight club. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZWtqe3mA6M)

squarecrow
6th Nov 2008, 07:24
Very well put FSJ. I noticed Pax07 comments regarding FI's Quote "in Go Go bars" etc. That sums his professionalism up as a Manager, A proper manager would not openly accuse people of things like this on A forum. Even if it is so you do not bring that into a discussion, In a court of law he would be in Trouble for sure.

larry231
6th Nov 2008, 14:54
Hi,

I used to work for Beijing Panam and it was a good experience but quite tough to live and work there. the job is not too hard but you gotta put up with some unnecessary problems. The flying definitely isn't there, bad weather, aispace closed by the air force many times, ATC that just don't let you fly at all etc etc etc.

I also worked for Aviatour's Flyin' Inc. in Cebu, Philippines, good place, pay is not as high as in China but still good. Good life there, and everyone speaks english. International students mainly from India and Nepal.

Now what you gotta know is that it might take months to convert your licenses or certificates (it took 9 months just to convert my Comm/SE only and I'm not mentioning my CFI-II-MEI which didn't happen as I went back to the US after my contract of one year).

So if you're looking for hours... stay in the US, trust me. Money ? could be a good bet, but remember as you wait for your licenses you'll have to teach a lot of ground ! Experiencewise, it's just awesome in Asia, but that depends on everybody.

Good luck mate.

Larry

kwaiyai
7th Nov 2008, 05:31
Agreed Square,
That particular Gentleman sent me a PM which I have sent my Reply.
Worthy of note is his Antics at a certain Island not far away not a long time ago. And as Jonny said you can take Dat anyway U want. He should learn to engage that Brain before Mouth in future,,:=

ozthai
12th Nov 2008, 05:04
Buggered if I know why the Thai government keep sponsoring this outfit ?
Especially when CATC (Civil Aviation Training Centre), is sadly lacking funds. CATC is the official government aviation training centre.

This PAX bloke must be a good talker or has mates in the right places.
What sort of outfit would leave brand new Diamond aircraft sitting out in the tropical weather with no prtection? Is that good management and responsible management of public funds.

Think eventually the powers controlling the purse strings will wake up that this guy is all bull**** and nothing but a dreamer and hence pull the plug on funding. Hopefully aircraft will end up at CATC Hua Hin and be put to good use.

tbavprof
12th Nov 2008, 10:07
Ozthai,

Different mission. No defense at all for PAX, but CATC-HH is not the answer. Nakhon Phanom was set up to draw students regionally and internationally. CATC's mission is to develop the personnel for the Thai aviation industry.

They're totally incapable of training international students (except for the occassional stray Laotian) because of the language issue and the funky little regulations about having foreigners employed by a state enterprise (even paying anything but a Thai civil servant salary with no benefits). Money is not the issue, as they regularly make decisions to avoid extra revenue. There are plenty of aircraft laying around already. Having the Airbus sim from Isaan would only put them into competition with their primary customer, TG.

If somebody's trying to jumpstart an aviation training industry in Thailand, they've got no choice but to drop CATC's status as a state enterprise or allow some other schmoe to try and get one rolling. They did the same thing with FA training and general aviation management degrees (let a well-known state university open a program to compete with CATC) and that worked out pretty well, with a lot of FA's placing with overseas carriers, and other grads supplying airport services and the miniscule BizAv market locally.

Based on reports, rumors, and some illustrative postings here, it's just too bad that they chose the place and people they did to expand flight crew training.

ozthai
13th Nov 2008, 05:44
Spot on tbavprof.....

I agree with that.... Mentioned CATC because only other option at this time.

There is a market for good training centre here. If I had the dough I'd give it a go.

Bangkok Airways was looking promising with plans for Sukathai but has been put on hold.

Have worked for CATC and it is Durasik Park.

batman123
2nd Jan 2009, 20:48
their website is now down...bills unpaid, no fuel, ...check the movie on you tube "IAC nakhon"and see by yourself.
IAC is running under debt that the government has to pay.
They are talking to pull the plug as this academy is not working since 2 years.

I agree with FSJ, many bad comments on IAC in the past, due to this magalomaniac manager.
There is no one single good comment outside of passenger07, because passenger 07 is the nut who runs this comedy(sorry I can not even call IAC a flight club). their manager is a liar, a bull****ttter...he BS so much that thai airways has refused to send their cadets.
This academy can not run with this such guy in power.

anyone thinking going there, think twice...your money will disappear and your thai license worths NOTHING.

80'000 US$ for a A320 MCC and a thai CPL.

where do you go with this tickets considering IAC students will have to pay another 40 grands to convert their license to JAR or FAA just to be at the standards.(only the thai privat license can be converted to a FAA or JAA privat)

There are far better school(oxford, jerez, bristol, flight safety, comair, etc,....) in the world to not go to this crashing IAC.

BTW, this university is not recognized by other universities and they don't train at ICAO level 4 for english.

halfmoon
14th Mar 2009, 04:03
Whats the latest with Nakom Phanom University? Is this the sane as IAC?
Are they still in operation or near shutdown?
I've read all the bad about them but still interested in a 6 month holiday over there in Thailland.
Any other schools over there to instruct at that take FAA certificates?

batman123
27th Mar 2009, 01:50
still the same except they got their 2 new toys.

-an aerobatic plane, to make full stalls cuz most thai flight instructor are scared to fly at low speed.
-an A320 for a thai MCC made in house
total money spend: 6 US millions$:{

these 2 new toys show the comic side of the school.
this school is a joke runed by a joker who wears 4 strips and has never flown a plane in his entire life....

the aerobatic plane was grounded before it landed in nakhon, and the 320 is probably not working at the time I am typing this (bugs in the window, whatever....)

once again, the Thai license will drive you to :ugh:(non FAA or JAA), so give a miss, because at IAC, their french manager doesn't want work!.

UPDATE April 2009
-the french megalo manager has been sacked by the Issan University right after leaving court.
He has been guilty of miss management, gross error with his flight instructors, and no respect of Thai laws.
He left Thailand a week later!
It was time to have some justice in this Aeroclub!:E

rotar
27th Apr 2009, 09:12
So any more updates

Have they appointed another Manager and are students still enrolling in the college?

Would be good to see that someone can make the operation work!

aseanaero
27th Apr 2009, 11:25
I've never seen an expat flying instructor at the schools here in Halim (Jakarta) .

The junior instructors are local and the senior instructors are generally retired Indonesian Air Force pilots.

I don't think they can get work permits for expats.