PDA

View Full Version : Time to really start lobbying????

dunc0936
2nd Oct 2008, 20:11
with the current economic crisis, the general state of the country and the armed forces, is it time to adopt the American way of lobbying???

The news has been showing reports of Representatives and Senators receiving up to 1000 calls/emails each a day about the proposed bank bail out. Hence why it has taken so long for them to reach agreement.

An article in farmers weekly this week has given tips on lobbying MEP's about current plans to cut the level and number of pesticides available, however the principle can apply across all voters

The advice from Neeley Williams is as follows and I quote

"There is no doubt that personal letters are far more effective than template letters," she says. "Letters should be short, sweet and to the point. Use Bullet points to get your argument across. Say what it is you support, what it is you reject. But don't go on too much about either.

Ms Williams advises that asking a question within a letter is a good idea, as it means the MEP can't get away with just a stock response. She also agrees that, as this stage, it is best to focus on British MEP's on the environment committee. "it makes sense to target those who are actually following the dossier."

Later on, once the environment committee has voted, letter writing should be broadened to all MEP's. Ms Williams says that it does not really matter whether letters are emailed or posted, or whether they go to the MEP's office in Europe or their constituency office or both.

But she admits that, when it comes to an MEP's mailbox, size does matter. If the MEP is not that involved in an issue, but then starts to get a sackful of letters that chances are he or she will soon want to get involved.

............................................................ .........................

NOW sorry for that being a bit long winded but she does make some good points, and though there is a lot of voter apathy in this country I believe a lot of it is down to the fact that MP's have been let of the hook for so long, now I'm sure we all agree that Labour is pretty much a lost cause, but the other side might sit up and listen if they start receiving 100's of personal emails daily/weekly about not only the armed forces but also pensions, education and health etc.....

I have been lucky to receive a number of letters back from MP's (mainly from the Blue side) so it can work, we as a country just need to get better at lobbying our MP’s. I bet there are 100's of people on here and Arrse that could write some very good personal experience of being let down by the government especially with regards to the armed forces???????

If young David and Liam started receiving 1000’s of letters complaining about the armed forces and wanting to know what they were going to do about it, i.e. accommodation then it may just push defence further up the importance scale.

Anyway that’s my feelings but I don’t think I’m alone in those thoughts!!!!! So will head for the bunker and wait for the incoming

Duncan

taxydual
2nd Oct 2008, 22:54
Dunc

It boils down to this. The Armed Services cannot lobby for themselves.

There are very few Members of Parliament with a military background (in one respect, thank God). The one's that do, seem to 'politicise' their debate, so, in doing so, bore their listeners.

The newspaper's produce 'headlines' and Armed Service 'stunts' to sell newspapers, to make profits and to be tomorrows Fish and Chip wrappers..

The BBC, well, what can you say about the BBC?? Who's side are they on, is one answer.

The Armed Services of the United Kingdom will only get the support of the United Kingdom if the people of the United Kingdom are willing to stand up and give that support.

The Armed Forces of the United Kingdom cannot initiate that request for support because they are too busy doing the bidding of the Government of the United Kingdom.

A last thought.

It's the flag of the United Kingdom that covers the coffins of the servicemen of the United Kingdom who have given their lives in the service of the United Kingdom.

That should be lobbying enough.

Dan Winterland
3rd Oct 2008, 02:11
"It boils down to this. The Armed Services cannot lobby for themselves."

I dunno about that. Seemed to work quite well in Thailand last year!

Lobbying was one of the causes of the current problem. In late 2001, Geroge W's banker friends weren't happy with the financial situation and persuaded him to relax the regulations regarding how credit could be bought and sold, as it would ease the impending financial crisis. George W agreed. It went largely unoticed as the world still had images of airliners crashing into buildings to be worried about it.

I think the world is worried about it now!

dunc0936
3rd Oct 2008, 09:39
your right about george w's friends, but the sort of lobbying i meant is individuals, families of serving personnel etc,

I know this might to serious for some but just look at the great work miss lumley has done for the nepalies friends! That is positive lobbying, so it can work.

And for the people who think im just a political activist (and you know who you are) im dont care who is in power. As long as they realise who they work for

Duncan