PDA

View Full Version : Hail! Mad Mad Men

Pantera Negra
2nd Oct 2008, 14:25
"Airline chiefs expect hit from financial crisis" (http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2008/09/17/business/OUKBS-UK-AIRLINES-GERMANY.php), IHT(17/09/08)

TO: All Wannabees

Above is just one of the many, many headlines clearly NOT IN OUR FAVOR, similar to the consensus on this PPRuNe, if you ask me.
Myself, I'm way too old to disregard the advice FREELY provided by the well experienced members of this forum. Even more so, I think it's evident that this place would be worthless without them.
However, as an ode to pure optimism -or plain foolishness, if you like- I would like to invite you to shed here your excitement about the ATPL course you'll start any time soon.

THE FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT!

99jolegg
2nd Oct 2008, 14:41
Starting in three months and counting :eek::ok:

smith
2nd Oct 2008, 22:17
joelegg you are crazeeeee

INNflight
3rd Oct 2008, 05:30
...last week :hmm: still veery optimistic to find a jolly good job within the next....err...saaaay 25 to 29 years? How's that for being positive heeh. :}

Seriously, I'm glad I decided to go modular.

SefonSA
3rd Oct 2008, 11:55
I plan to start an intergrated course which still gives access to more airlines and I want to devote all my attention to the studies. This will be at Cabair this October or coming January due to quality of aircraft, HSBC loan system and location (I have relatives nearby so no accommodation costs).

This will probably take 12 to 18 months to complete in which time I believe the majority of pilots will be back in work, world travel will be up with the world cup in South Africa where I would be happy to go and fly again. Also I am optimistic about the Olympics and the UK airline preparation for them.

Intend to get my instructor rating on completion of course to share the love of flight & stay current whilst job hunting. Dont mind globe trotting to get a job thats half the reason I am a wannabe!

So in answer to your question - Yes possibly a mad man! but its a gamble with the rewards I want. Plus I also have a very supportive wife whos helping me fulfil the childhood dream.

Look forward to reading the regular ppruner follow ups with this winters negativity!

G SXTY
4th Oct 2008, 09:22
The job market is bad and it's going to get worse. If I was training now, I would be going modular, working full time and training very, very slowly.

I'd suggest it will be at least 2 or 3 years before things start to improve for low-hours guys.

And I'm a natural optimist.

Frankly Mr Shankly
4th Oct 2008, 11:59
"This will probably take 12 to 18 months to complete in which time I believe the majority of pilots will be back in work..."

Oh dear God!

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: