PDA

View Full Version : Radio

merlinn
2nd Oct 2008, 11:20
Hi guys and girls,

I am going to be starting circuits next lesson and am having a lot of difficulty remembering how to use the radio effectively, for example what I have to repeat back to ATC and what I just need to confirm with them.:confused:

Has anyone had these problems and if so how did you over come them?

Celtic Pilot
2nd Oct 2008, 11:30
For definite,,, everyone has them problems and if they said they didnt they would be lying......

try not to try and remember but to write it down on a kneeboard,,, ALWAYS HELPS... and remember that if you do happen to get it wrong, then he/she will come back to correct you, but it is for your safety...

Another thing is, remember that it is ANOTHER HUMAn on the other side of the radio... They've been through something similar to yourself... but by the time you've gone solo, it will be slipping of your tongue no doubt...

I cant remeber the name of the CAP doc of the CAA but type it in CAP radiotelephony, and it should come up I think... It is usefulto help you with what are the required readbaks such as

Clearances
Holding instructions
Take-off/landing instructions

etc

After a while it will become kind of common sense like of what you have to read back to them... no need to read wind back though..

I always found that I was so concentrated on being cleared to land or take-off that I forgot to listen or write the wind down on paper... But now everything runs quite smoothly..lol..
All the best with it all!!

p.s dont panic when you push the button,,, think before you speak... trust me.. By the time you start navigation, you sound like every other ppl on the radio...

Good Luck...

:ok:

Maude Charlee
2nd Oct 2008, 11:34
Helpful hint no.1

The aim at all times is to make sure you and ATC understand each other. If it all goes a bit pear-shaped, forget what the comms book says and just use plain language to get your message across.

Like anything else in life, and especially aviation, a lot of it won't make sense to you right now, but with time, practice and good instruction it will all eventually fall into place.

There are a surprisingly large number of commercial pilots who have very poor R/T skills (worryingly bad in some cases), and these guys are way beyond the circuits stage of their flying careers, so don't get too hung up on it just yet.

AdamLT
2nd Oct 2008, 11:34
Merlinn

all the best with the circuits.

you may want to download CAP 413...very useful as its the RT manual

www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/cap413.pdf (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/cap413.pdf)

JohnRayner
2nd Oct 2008, 12:15
I think everyone hates RT! If you're flying out of somewhere which has some form of air traffic control you will get quite good quite quickly.

In general, I've been told to read back any instruction or information given, apart from weather.

At my (uncontrolled) aerodrome, I only make 3 calls in the circuit: Departure (and staying in circuit), A downwind call, and a call when on final.

When I've been to controlled fields they expect more out of you, so writing down what they want is a must!

As others have said, the person on the end of the radio is only there to help you out and keep you safe. And I've found they're quite forgiving of the nervous student!

"You'll have to give him a minute", my instructor said in the long pause during my first RT call on a busy-ish frequency to the local RADAR service "he hasn't figured out what he wants to say yet......."

Deary me:O:O:O

JR

P.S. I should point out that worrying about what you're going to say on the radio should NOT get in the way of keeping the plane flying!

How does it go now......., Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate

:ok:

ChrisLKKB
2nd Oct 2008, 13:03
Reguarding what you have to read back, as a rough guide, if it involves an action then you have to read it back...

examples

Cleared to land... Action = Land, read back.

Report Overhead the Coast, Action = Report position, read back.

Altimeter 29.92... Action, = check/change altimeter, read back.

Sqwark 7000... Action = check/change transponder code, read back.

Turn right heading 180, Action = (bug heading), turn on to heading, read back.

Cleared for take off, wind 240@10kts, Action = Take Off , read back. (Wind information requires no action, don't read back.)

G-XXXX identified 10 south of Alderbury, Radar Information/Advisory (service). Action = Acknowledge/Comply with instructions as per terms of the service, read back (Radar Advisory, GXXX).

Traffic 10 oclock. No action required, just acknowledge transmission 'looking for traffic'/'traffic in sight'/'roger' just to let them know you still love them.

Make sense ?

Keygrip
2nd Oct 2008, 17:44
It makes sense, ChrisLKKB, insomuch as I understand what you say.

Only problem with it is.....some of it is complete bo****ks.

Read back items (as per merlinn's original post) are published for each country (or blanket ICAO).

A google search would offer far more useful stuff.

Reading the relevant RT manual for whatever country would also help.

Learning stock answers in PPL Confusers, or similar, does not teach you the stuff - so you end up asking questions like this.

RESEARCH IT - and get the appropriate national regulation or reccommendation.

rotornut
2nd Oct 2008, 17:56
Why not buy an aircraft band scanner? They're not very expensive and when you are not flying you can listen to the chatter at your leisure. You'll probably find it helps. When I started flying I was allowed to go up to the tower and that really helped too - the contollers were very accommodating.

ChrisLKKB
2nd Oct 2008, 18:36
Only problem with it is.....some of it is complete bo****ks.Care to educate us Obi Wan, i'm always keen to learn, I might not have flown for a while but I doubt things have changed in the circuit that much.

In the UK (which rightly or wrongly I assumed is where the OP is from) as the first line of the post says as a rough guide, if it involves an action then you have to read it back...we're only talking circuits right now, i'm sure his instructor will prevent him plummetting down the slippery slope of following any examples of UK RT i've mentioned, ;)