PDA

View Full Version : Air Comet

el #
2nd Oct 2008, 11:18
Since I think there is no report so far about this company, here's my impression having used them MAD-BOG return last July.

Air Comet is a low cost option for some destinations to S.A. and you may think about it as pretty much taking the place Air Madrid had until two years ago. Only, Air Europa is also in the market now.

I had booked via edreams and the first thing they did was trying to charge after having authorized already the same amount on my CC. This led to the charge being denied, delay followed as edreams apparently doesn't realize that they have to cancel or reuse the first authorization for the actual charge to be successful. So it would have been better to use Air Comet directly as the prices were the same (it is not always so). Fortunately the fare did not expire and I eventually got billed eur 840, on a close date to departure.

My flights were both late, like almost 2hrs in Madrid, some voicing between pax was heard until things someway speeded up and off we went with the A340. There is IFE on the A/C and standard meals are provided. The flight was full and a bad choice of seating led me to feel very cold, thing that CC could not address even with additional coats or a tea, I mean tea was available but had to be charged.

On the return there was even more delay. Dinner was provided in BOG at a fast food restaurant. At arrival, most pax had lost their connections and so I did also due to a large delay in getting baggage. It was not enough delay for compensation rules to be effective, and as soon I got in the huge queue to customer service desk, it became clear that they were to protect only passengers continuing on their flights.

Lot of people got in real trouble by their missed connections, Also, due to EU visa requirements for certain nationalities, some got stuck in a limbo and depended on the grace of the connecting airline to transport them without additional cost, in short I've seen some situations I certainly never want to happen to anyone. The representative tried to do her best but the service was clearly insufficient, had they made clear their policy to people in line, many would saved time being there for nothing. I was actually lucky having a FF award ticket with Alitalia that they changed to next day w/o charges.

Staying overnight in Madrid downtown was nice news and I appreciated friendliness of people and how one can move around, eat & sleep very nicely for little money.

I have choosen Air Europa for the next trip and would not use again Air Comet unless I have to.

VOM1T
2nd Oct 2008, 12:54
Suggest try Avianca - the oldest and still the best to Colombia....:)

VOM1T
16th Mar 2009, 14:30
"As of 11 February 2009, Air Comet has been suspended from IATA Clearing House due to non-payment of January balance." on Wikipedia.

I thought Air Comet was backed by the mighty Marsans, if so, what is this all about ?

IB4138
16th Mar 2009, 18:10
Air Comet, since 16th February, have been refusing to accept American Express cards for payment.

It would appear that the two incidents may be linked.

Ms Spurtle
20th May 2009, 11:49
Is Air Comet still operating european charter flights?
Their website and wiki only lists the longhaul services to S.America now.

What happened to their A320 fleet? Are they in storage?

IB4138
20th May 2009, 12:32
One A320 is stored at Madrid and the other is operated for Olympic Airways.

on time all the time
10th Nov 2009, 14:48
Hi Guys,
I am reading on french sites that Air Comet is almost bankrupt.
It needs 20 million euros to continue.
Salaries have not been paid for 4 months.
They only pay for their fuel.
Iberia has offered to buy their 3 A330 and spares but did not get a response.
The Spanish gov is willing to help the Aviation sector with 3.7 billion euros.
Has anyone got more news?

Towerman
19th Nov 2009, 05:11
Aircraft are currently being repossessed or moved out by the main leasing companies.

Dutchdash8
19th Nov 2009, 17:44
In curacao newspaper Amigoe there is news about Air Comet.
A local person plans to invest and want to use the island as hub....
Somebody any news?

Tediek
23rd Nov 2009, 16:23
I just read that all 640 staff members will go on strike as of the 1st of december for 4 days due to unpaid salaries. I am not a scientist but this is usualy not benefitting a company.

on time all the time
23rd Nov 2009, 17:14
You are right, Tediek.....but they haven't been paid for 4 months!

malagajohn
24th Nov 2009, 21:20
Here is the link from amigoe in CuRACAO

Amigoe.com - Amigoe English: Air Comet at Hato (http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_65350.php)

Towerman
26th Nov 2009, 15:54
One lessor has tried to repossess all 4 of its aircraft only to be thwarted by the Spanish Authorities. This isnt some crazy rules country like Mexico this is Spain! If the airline cant pay its aircraft rentals what right do they have to be obstructive. Why are banks extending credit? Why are the airports and Eurocontrol letting them fly when they owe an absolute fortune. I just feel sorry for the employees who I hear are threatening to strike having not been paid for FOUR months. If I were in their shoes I would start taking boxes of aircraft records as "security."

spook
30th Nov 2009, 17:35
Naughty Towerman!
I would not recommend to anyone to QUOTE If I were in their shoes I would start taking boxes of aircraft records as "security." UNQUOTE

It's never easy for the employees especially as you rightly say - they often haven't been paid for months. They usually even help the Lessor try and put aircraft records together knowing that they will still not be paid. That's credit to their professionalism - I would not recommend tainting that, with advice to carry out a criminal act.;)

Towerman
1st Dec 2009, 08:38
Spook. Fair point perhaps, though I am not exactly inciting the technical recordsdepartment to commit a criminal act. Since when has anyone been prosecuted by a Lessor for such action? The Lessors if they are well organised will have sought to retain key records employees to assist with the handback. My rant was aimed indirectly at Grupo Marsans who have deep pockets and should have sorted the employees out as a priority. I have seen too many bankruptcies where the poor employee is last in pecking order to be paid - well behind teh tax man, VAT, Eurocontrol et al. The average employee without pay for 4 months will be resorting to pretty desparate meaures in some cases and taking some security isn't high up on my list of mortal sins.

Keyvon
21st Dec 2009, 18:46
Ailing spanish airline Air Comet have ceased all flight operations today.

Good luck to people working there.

7574ever
21st Dec 2009, 23:44
Hi all!

Apparently breaking news, Spanish carrier Air Comet has cancelled all flights and is intending to get rid of all of their 640 employees...

Link to news story in Spanish:

Air Comet presenta concurso de acreedores tras una orden de embargo · ELPAÍS.com (http://www.elpais.com/articulo/economia/Air/Comet/presenta/concurso/acreedores/orden/embargo/elpepueco/20091221elpepueco_15/Tes)

Regards, and all the best to those affected...

VOM1T
22nd Dec 2009, 08:02
Its official .

Spanish Airline Air Comet To File For Creditor Protection - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091222-700874.html)

looks like the aircraft lessors nailed it the High court in London.

Shame... bad pre-Christmas timing.... Good Luck to everyone.

10002level
22nd Dec 2009, 10:24
Not a very happy Christmas for those involved - sad news.

Air Comet Halts Flights After Fleet Impounded, Expansion Says - Bloomberg.com (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=aDCaxCs1_xvA)

domdom01
22nd Dec 2009, 10:26
for 2010: once again loads of high-houred bus-drivers on the european market...:eek:

jonseagull
22nd Dec 2009, 15:09
The cabin crew uniform alone, is a sad loss to the industry.

Seat62K
23rd Dec 2009, 05:22
First Air Madrid, now this. Sad.

Morbid
23rd Dec 2009, 06:36
How many airlines is that now that have tried to go up against Iberia on their Latin America routes and gone bankrupt after burning through an inordinate amount of cash?

One wonders when these Spanish execs will realise that Iberia have deep pockets and will protect any assault on what they see as their turf? The basics show that the routes to S America are enough for 1 and half airlines... If its just 1 airline ie Iberia they make a fortune. However if theres two... well its a fare war and he who has the deepest pockets survives to reap the rewards.

For the workers, yes its sad, especially as many of them have already been through it once with Air Madrid... but they will probably pick up exactly the same posts in the next re incarnation... and perhaps therein lies the problem. (I say that having many friends who work in Air Comet and not as a way to make light of the situation).