PDA

View Full Version : Younger academics Vs. Life Experience

Shaft109
1st Oct 2008, 18:47
This is a semi-theoretical question that has tickled my curiosity.

Say you have 2 candidates for a flying job who objectively are equal on Aptitude tests and sim checks etc.

A, Is a recent graduate who started on an integrated course and holds a fATPL maybe aged 23 / 24.

or

B, Is late 20's but has done some months backpacking, worked a few years on lates and nights, seen a bit of the world but worked to see it and gone modular.

Who would you choose and why?

p.s. no I'm neither of the above.

ChrisLKKB
1st Oct 2008, 19:32
Based on my experience of back packers they wouldn't even make the interview.

Based on my experience of myself when I was 23, neither would I :uhoh:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
1st Oct 2008, 19:51
I detect a modular/integrated debate here :=.

Your question is not that straight forward. You have to realise they people mature at different rates, and all have different personalities, its not quite clear cut.

I would interview both, and pick the one I warmed to. It all depends on what attributes people look for.

Jimmy Macintosh
1st Oct 2008, 20:01
As above, the one I liked the best. A lot of the time it's if your face fits that gets you a job.

AlphaMale
1st Oct 2008, 20:04
The one who can afford to pay his own TR & line training and will work for as little wage as possible in the current climate.

Philpaz
2nd Oct 2008, 08:41
I think the question would be better based on a CV. If you were looking at 2 CV's, both modular, pilot A is early 20's, B is early 30's.
A has the degree, B has 10 years as an Engineer.

I agree with the above comments, if your face fits and your a decent bloke, your in. Problem is you've got to get the interview first. Also removing the Int/Mod element will help keep the single minded tools away.

Sorry for the Hijack

Paz

MarcoFF
2nd Oct 2008, 08:50
AlphaMale nice one, sad, but pretty much true.

Aerospace101
2nd Oct 2008, 11:11
If the airline were BA then A

If the airline were BA and the modular chap had 500hrs on an a/c >25T then A or B.

If the airline were Flybe (and the modular chap had been to > 2 training providers) then A

If the airline were Flybe (and the modular chap had been to < 2 training providers) then A or B

See the pattern...

Re-Heat
2nd Oct 2008, 11:42
A. B has a lack of focus and has fallen into something he thinks is "interesting", while not showing any previous commitment to any career (inferred by the odd jobs, rather than the modular training). Depends how he worked to get there really...

Shaft109
2nd Oct 2008, 16:16
"I detect a modular/integrated debate here"

That was not the intent.

Obviously there is not too much to go on, I was curious as IF ALL ELSE WAS EQUAL would you have young eagerness or maturity?

Sunray Minor
2nd Oct 2008, 16:34
Shaft109,
The backpackers slightly more rounded life experience might make them a poor choice. Their stories of smoking pot in Malawi, finding Krisna consciousness in Goa and boozing on Ko Pha Ngan could antagonise the middle aged balding left hand seater.

Re-heat,
That sounds a little harsh. Perhaps person A has too narrow a perspective on life that flying, integrated, 60K debt has come before all other personal development. Afterall, the military looks for character rather than ability.

Bealzebub
2nd Oct 2008, 16:41
It doesn't really work like that, (and by the way how is "lime" red?)

The interview process has already screened the applications to the point that it is worth meeting the applicant face to face, to get a better idea of their personality and a more direct interface for any questions, impressions and assements (on both sides.)

Both candidates would therefore have an opportunity to sell themselves. One point to bear in mind with your "semi-thoretical" question though, is that airlines are not just looking for pilots, they are looking for future commanders and future managers. To this end a graduate clearly has a paper advantage in that many potential future roles would lean towards this type of applicant. The second candidate is more in the "dime a dozen" category, and whilst this wouldn't necessarily disadvantage them unduly, it would still require an ability to sell themselves, by using their own experience and history to their advantage.

That is what the interview process seeks to achieve. Given two candidates of "equal" qualification, those who have displayed a better level of educational achievement and whose presentation has "interested" the selection board (up to that point) are the ones with the obvious advantage that they get the opportunity to sell themselves.

That and don't piss off the interviewer. :}