PDA

View Full Version : FlyGlobeSpan - 8 (merged)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

timboab
1st Oct 2008, 17:15
Very sad to see that the moderators had to step into the last thred for Flyglobespan.....Can I beg everyone to have a little thought before slicking the 'submit' button. Nobody wants to lose the GSM thread!!!

Lets try and be positive and constructive please, and leave all the unsubstantiated gossip at the door- Thanks.

gavin360
2nd Oct 2008, 11:37
Whats da story with the winter fights bfs- sfb gone for good or is the website playing up???

luvly jubbly
2nd Oct 2008, 14:23
And the GLA-SFB is down to 1 per week now.... Looks like BFS could be dropped for the winter.

I guess the 757 has something better to do..............BHX- Amritsar?? Maybe the SFB will be on a 737 this winter?? Hope not, cos that's still my favourite destination!

LJ

webby1919
2nd Oct 2008, 14:48
BFS winter 08 SFB flight not operating. Only a direct flight weekly to SFB from GLA on the B752.

The BFS flight for S09 is a full direct flight weekly on Fridays. More capacity added for S09. GLA 6 weekly on B763ER for S09.

afterdark
2nd Oct 2008, 22:51
will the S09 GLA-SFB see a B763 with a refitted/updated cabin ?

CabinCrewe
2nd Oct 2008, 23:12
No. Think 90's style, think ex ANZ

Pontious
2nd Oct 2008, 23:38
Afterdark

Yes it will. Regardless of which aircraft it is ('OD or 'PT). 'FG has had a complete cabin re-furb' but that'll be tied up on the Falklands Islands run from the mid-late October.

'PT is due in for it's full re-furb' over the winter.

'OD is having it's re-furb' in GAMCO at Abu Dhabi when it finishes its stint with Air Callin.

I hope that helps.
:ok:

gavin360
3rd Oct 2008, 10:26
why is bfs cancelled ? any time i went the numbers looked good and what about the pax booked before the flight was dropped? glad ei are on the route its the only direct flight now from irl

goldeneye
3rd Oct 2008, 18:24
Panorama Holidays in Ireland still have a Friday flight from Dublin to Orlando Sanford (Monarch this year but 2009 is TBA). Plus Thomas Cook Airlines have a weekly flight from Belfast in the Summer with Airtours.

waffler
3rd Oct 2008, 20:32
Dont forget Aer lingus 3 times a week to Orlando International from Dublin and they are having a sale to the USA this week. :ok:

dicanio10
4th Oct 2008, 13:10
Any idea what happened to the BCN to EDI yesterday? Was due to go at 13:25 but my colleague was still at BCN at 21:00 waiting to be put on the BCN to GLA flight along with 30 other pax. Haven't heard from her yet but I hope GSM did the decent thing and shipped them all back to EDI:hmm:

dicanio10
4th Oct 2008, 13:54
Thanks Gaz, at least I now know they laid transport on. Well done GSM:ok:

Mr @ Spotty M
5th Oct 2008, 08:40
I for one have not come across an airline called "Chilean Airways".
Now LAN on the other hand yes, now does the reporter mean an airline in Chile?
On the other hand don't FGS only have 2 B737-300s?

N707ZS
5th Oct 2008, 08:48
Futura used to send 737s down to Chile in the winter I wonder if Globespan has jumped into the hole in the market.

webby1919
5th Oct 2008, 14:11
Looks like the 733s will be going to Chile for W08, and another 2 A/C going for 2 months from January, maybe the Omanair A/C when it returns.

GSM must be keeping the 733s and leasing them out.

5th Oct 2008, 14:50
If the 733's are being kept surely a MME schedule must be due to be released soon! :ok: Fingers crossed it would be a shame for them to leave MME!
I would assume its probable that JP will be going to Chillie for 2 months acompanied by another.

webby1919
5th Oct 2008, 15:36
W08 requirement for A/C as it stands:

EDI - 2 A/C - 1 B73G and B73H
GLA - 4 A/C - 3 B73Hs, B752ER (SFB)
ABZ - 1 A/C - B73G

Fleet:
2 B733, 4 B73H (1 in Oman), 1 B736

5th Oct 2008, 15:48
Hmm so there isn't an a/c that would make it 2 to go to chillie for 2 months.

Im confused as to how these India flights are working, are GSM operating the flights for Monarch who in turn are operating the flights for Bilga Air?

Anybody know if this 752 will have GSM colours?

elmdonlad
5th Oct 2008, 16:04
These flights are to operate three times weekly
Tuesday,Friday and Saturday on behalf of travel agent Royal Atlantic of Smethwick (West Midlands). There is no connection with Bilga Air flights, which were to have been operated by Monarch Airlines but have now been cancelled.

9th Oct 2008, 18:00
I take it there are no plans to get the 752 ETOPS instead of going via Bangor?
Anythin on MME?

Skipness One Echo
9th Oct 2008, 18:07
4567 even with ETOPs more often than not the B757 will need to refuel in Bangor. Only with occasionally favourable winds and a light load will the direct flight to Florida be filed.

GSM SCOT
9th Oct 2008, 19:00
Already got 180 min ETOPS on the 757, same as the 767

Porrohman
9th Oct 2008, 19:38
Skipness said;
4567 even with ETOPs more often than not the B757 will need to refuel in Bangor. Only with occasionally favourable winds and a light load will the direct flight to Florida be filed.

Out of interest, has a 757 ever managed Glasgow - Orlando without a fuel stop and if so, how light was the load?

Skipness One Echo
9th Oct 2008, 23:24
Air 2000 used to occasionally do GLA-MCO direct in the 1990s when they flew to Orlando. The return flight often operated direct due to more favourable winds.

Pontious
10th Oct 2008, 00:06
Porrohman

Yes. I did one. I think the load was about 50-60 pax outbound from GLA-SFB but we were full back (180 pax/ 2 class config.) & made it both ways non-stop with no problems.

I flew a few B757 Trans Atlantic trips with AMM/FCA & while virtually all westbound flights tech stopped in Bangor, Maine, you needed a certain set of criteria to enable a non-stop return sector. At the pre flight planning stage in MCO/SFB as a rule of thumb you needed a ZFM of around 78 Tonnes & a 25kt tailwind component.

GSM's 757 even when full is around 75 Tonnes ZFM so needs a lower tailwind component in order to make the eastbound sector non-stop.

It's a remarkably versatile machine that a B738 or-9 could never match.

OliWW
10th Oct 2008, 08:49
I always thought there plan was to keep one of the B763, so that the B752 went and did the routes from BHX. Also the last B736 is leaving in October. So the only aircrafts not being used are 2x B733 and 1x B738

Pontious
10th Oct 2008, 09:09
Yes, Oli',

I think 'OD will be GLA based operating the SFB (1x weekly away Mon-Weds) with the rest of the week covering 'PT in the eventuality of it having to go to the hangar for a scheduled check or any general 'techness'.

'OD should be coming back from Air Callin at the end of November straight into a re-fit and/or sched'd maintenance, then as above.

'PT is operating the MPA run until 'FG is released after it's heavy check, then heads away somewhere.

I hope this helps.

LGS6753
10th Oct 2008, 16:37
Rumour Control - Luton is talking about services from LTN to Canada in summer 09. Is this a new GSM flight to YHM?

Centre cities
10th Oct 2008, 21:07
Must say i am really suprised that BHX - Amritsar is bookable on the airline web site.

Would have thought it would have been travel agents on a charter.

Centre cities

10th Oct 2008, 22:25
I know i thought it was just on behalf of a tour operator not being bookble on there website.

airhumberside
11th Oct 2008, 15:22
Well hopefully GSM have got links with Indian community travel agents for the majority of sales and they are selling seats themselves as a secondary distribution channel. But without links to the Indian community cant see the route working with no brand awareness at either end of the route

iflycwl
12th Oct 2008, 16:02
With GSM announcing their new CWL-YHM flights, I assume at BRS loss, would GSM ever consider a CWL-SFB route for Summer 2009 - with the loss of XL Airways and Monarch for Summer 2009 there is an obvious market from South Wales.

luvly jubbly
12th Oct 2008, 16:53
GSM have introduced a different Airport for YHM each year. As load factors are high, it would seem that the route goes to the airport offering the greatest incentive. Maybe CWL needed a Zoom replacement???

From previous years experience, I wouldn't be surprised if this to be the only route for CWL this year, and maybe the only year it is operated!

timboab
14th Oct 2008, 20:29
What are the AEU/ATQ flights and whats went wrong with them Gaz?

14th Oct 2008, 20:42
I see KT'S parked up on a remote stand at GLA anybody know whats happening with it?

What are the AEU/ATQ and whats the problem?

airhumberside
14th Oct 2008, 21:14
I think GLAGAZ is refering to the BHX-ATQ flights which have been removed from sale on the GSM website

Hamrah
14th Oct 2008, 23:08
...and will now be operated by AEU.

GSM SCOT
15th Oct 2008, 12:01
Nothing wrong with the 737/600. Would be on a remote stand if not being used. This aircraft operates the GLA - BCN - EDI - BCN - GLA.

jethro15
15th Oct 2008, 12:15
Hamrah

...and will now be operated by AEU.

Commencing when?

luvly jubbly
15th Oct 2008, 15:05
I thought Astraeus were operating that route for us anyway??!!

spider_man
15th Oct 2008, 16:51
Has any airline past operated BHX-ATQ... did Flyjet ever operate this route? There seems to have been lots of failed start-ups for this service. Who is the tour operator behind it this time? I assume this won't to be a year round service.

groundedforgood
15th Oct 2008, 18:54
Has any airline past operated BHX-ATQ...

Air India direct and Turkmenistan one stopping, both still going at present, although Air India is having a sabbatical over the winter and decamping to Heathrow.

Centre cities
15th Oct 2008, 23:12
There have been numerous airlines operating on the BHX/ATQ market mostly operating on behalf of topur operators. Alot of them ended in Stan.

Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan
Tajikistan
Krygerstan
Kazakstan.
Air Slovakia
Slovak airlines
Air India
Flyjet operated as well.

Last I heard was Royal Atlantic nowtrying for December, no idea what with. we shall see.

Centre cities

diesel862
16th Oct 2008, 07:52
Flyjet operated these flights BHX-GYD-ATQ.

Not a bad route but the chap running the sales for these flights was a dodgey as they come.

chickenstrips
16th Oct 2008, 09:11
KT normally get’s parked up on a remote stand at GLA. All the stands are taken when we arrive back from BCN. Same thing happens at EDI late at night – so probably nothing out of the normal there.

AFAIK, we are leasing a 75-2 from AEU. Hamrah, I assume you are still leasing this to us??

16th Oct 2008, 10:18
Is KT still leaving the GSM Fleet?

Flyglobespan are going to get some bad press for hanging on this long insisting there not leaving MME, but i think we all relly know at heart MME is probably a lost cause!

timboab
16th Oct 2008, 19:59
Anyone know what plane is being used for tomorrows GLA-SFB flight??

Hope it is not delayed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16th Oct 2008, 22:56
Far as i know it will be the 752 G-CEJM via Bangor as the 763's are all away at the moment. It departed SFB on time heading back for GLA at the moment so there shouldn't be any major delays for tomorow hoping all things go smoothly at GLA for an ontime departure.

So the AEU lease was to start tomorow, has that now been cancelled?

copeland1957
17th Oct 2008, 20:20
Just read the thread on LTU going out of business.

Looks like Paddy Power got it wrong then showing FGS as 6/4 favs for the next airline to go bankrupt. Who says the bookies are never wrong!!!!

goldeneye
17th Oct 2008, 20:26
Think you mean LTE not LTU ?

18th Oct 2008, 20:28
PMI passengers weren't that happy to find out that there flight was delayed till 21.30 today which i now presume is further delayed.

Anybody know why it was delayed so long? G-DLCH was sent to a remote stand at GLA round about the time the PMI flight was supposed to depart have no idea why!

Anybody have an idea about GSM002P to BRIZE NORTON?

scotsunflyer
18th Oct 2008, 21:08
Flight came up to GLA this morning, from Brize Norton

c2lass
19th Oct 2008, 12:33
We are booked with GSM for February 2009 to fly from ABZ to LPA. Never having flown with them I wonder if someone could answer a couple of questions.

Firstly, what type of plane will it be? Secondly will it fly direct or refuel at Shannon/Santiago like all TFS flights do from ABZ due to the short runway.

Thanks.

oldart
19th Oct 2008, 13:28
Anybody have an idea about GSM002P to BRIZE NORTON?

New government contract to fly from Brize Norton to Falklands, only a rumour I heard.

Mr @ Spotty M
19th Oct 2008, 13:42
They started the MOD contract at the beginning of this month, this is fact.

ecj
19th Oct 2008, 13:56
C2lass

Expect a B.737-700 non stop.

c2lass
19th Oct 2008, 14:05
ecj

Thanks very much. :cool:

timboab
20th Oct 2008, 21:11
how long will a 757 be doing the GLA-SFB-GLA route???

Can the 757 not go the full route on the return leg without dropping in on Bangor???

CabinCrewe
20th Oct 2008, 21:19
Outbound No. Unless it was empty with a hurricane tailwind. Inbound still a possibility.

Skipness One Echo
20th Oct 2008, 21:41
Why can't it? It has been confirmed numerous times that MCO-GLA was common and GLA-MCO rarer but not impossible in the B757. Is SFB any different?

Pontious
21st Oct 2008, 01:53
No Skippy.

The airfields pose no performance penalties whatsoever. So what is the crux, thrust or point of the case you are trying to make?

Occasionally the B757 can make it direct GLA-MCO/SFB non-stop subject to headwinds & loads. More often than not the B757 can make it SFB/MCO-GLA non-stop with a heavier payload because of stronger tailwind components. Capiche?

MAN2YKF
21st Oct 2008, 02:31
FYI,
Globespan are getting a lot of airtime (Radio commercials) over in Toronto & Hamilton for next seasons flights.

Seems like Globespan is the closest competitor to Air Transat for UK - Canada.

Deeko01
21st Oct 2008, 07:47
The 757 went GLA-SFB direct last week and yesterday, not sure what loads it had.

24th Oct 2008, 16:49
Nevermind questions about a/c!

Straight off of Jethros! Flyglobespan (http://jethros.eu/fleets/fleet_listings/flyglobespan.htm)

Looks as if the 736's might be staying, the sale to Eastar has fallen through.

Still nothing certain on the 733's though will most likely be leased to Chilie but as for being kept S09 no idea!

Does mean though we could see another destination launched or MME W patterns to be launched!

webby1919
24th Oct 2008, 19:42
The B736 is still british registered, so looks as though it is still with GSM.

The 733s will be operating W08 right through to Feb 09.

With the B736s staying in the fleet, MME will probably get S09 flights.

Pontious
25th Oct 2008, 22:12
And why should they, Scotsunflyer?

I can't imagine the MoD would be too enthralled that their dedicated aircraft is being used to bail out the 'bucket & spade' side GSM's operation.

They just need more aircraft.

scotsunflyer
26th Oct 2008, 10:01
Pontious, good call.

GSM could then have taken PT up the road, which is going to the hangar today, unless it is out of hours?

26th Oct 2008, 20:30
I can forsee troubles during W08 with a/c shortages, think GSM might have been to quick to sign as many leases as possible, more with the 733's or maybe when both 767's are back from lease they will have to cover European flights!

I wish GSM would just hurry up and announce there leaving MME, the amount of bad press there going to get for this, after saying they were commited its not going to be pretty unless there hoping nobody will notice and put it at the back of the cuboard.

timboab
2nd Nov 2008, 20:42
Hi,

I have just returned from Florida on GSM 726 (SFB-GLA) this morning and (I know this might not be the place to post this) I would like to thank and congratulate the cabin crew for their fantastic service and proffesionalism on my flight. You all worked hard and did your job extremely well.

Seems things have been quiet on this thread recently (WHich means you must be doing something right!!)

Well done and thank you again to the crew if you happen to be reading this.

P.S. Hope the 767 gets back on this route soon though!!!!!!!!

Chille Con Carnie
2nd Nov 2008, 20:57
757 at SEN this morning, nice landing chap,s .
Shame you don,t wish to taxi off runway to stand?

flyboy0803
5th Nov 2008, 22:36
Coincidentally was in same flight from SFB to GLA arriving Sun 2nd Nov with wife and 2 kids and totally agree on the your comments regarding the excellent service and professional/friendly crew.When GSM get it right they are as good if not better than the competition.

groundrat
7th Nov 2008, 02:46
HEY GLOBESPAN!good to see you guys are still on the go:)onwards and upwards:Dsince i've been here last,you guys have turned it around!!I'M A BELIEVER!!!:)NEVER thought i would make that post!keep on flying high!!!

Hipsway
9th Nov 2008, 16:42
Just flew from Aberdeen to Tenerife Sur. 2nd time I've flown with GSM. No problems with flights. Quick boarding and OTD with both sectors. Nice clean plane, friendly cabin crew. No dicking about, unlike the BA Aberdeen LHR shuttles which always take an eternity to board and there always seems to be a problem counting heads before they shut the door. How hard can this be? BA cabin crew can be arrogant and unhelpful, (although clearly not all of them).

I was impressed with the quick turnaround of the aircraft when it arrived in Tenerife. BA should take note as my recent experience of BA upon arrival at LGW or LHR is "we are waiting for a stand" or "we've got a stand but cant let you off the place as there is no-one to operate the air-bridge" or "we will park at the other side of the air field and you will be bussed to the arrivals hall" (meaning you miss your connection), or "your luggage has missed the flight" (three times in a year)Their service is garbage these days - I've stopped flying with them.

I know that GSM receives a fair share of bad press, particularly on the trans-atlantic routes, but I really do think the airline will come good.

Skipness One Echo
9th Nov 2008, 18:48
Aren't they both handled by the same company?

9th Nov 2008, 22:23
Strange why both 736's are in Bacau? A sale we didn't know about maybe.

Does anybody see Flyglobespan in a couple of years getting back to its former glory more a/c and routes etc?
There has been a bit of a recession in the airline over the last two years or so! Especially if you compare it to the likes of Jet2 even though its heart breaking to have to say that, it being the larger twin of GSM :sad: (no affence to all those at Jet2)

luvly jubbly
10th Nov 2008, 08:11
Like many short haul operators, GSM seem to have struggled a bit with the long haul operations. Jet 2 have just started their long haul ops.... they too will have some lessons to learn over the coming months......

The improvements at GSM are still progressing steadily... look out for more announcements soon.

LJ

10th Nov 2008, 18:57
Thanks LJ!

Its great to see Flyglobespan were'nt in the top 5 of the worst airlines on Watchdog report.
They weren't on the top 5 best either though, but on this link shows 1% went both ways and was the same for Jet2.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/consumer_advice/airlines_report.pdf

Top was BA and ive got to say what a shock!
Surprise, Surprise Ryanair were bottom!

scotsunflyer
10th Nov 2008, 22:47
Strange why both 736's are in Bacau? A sale we didn't know about maybe.

Also one of the B733 at SEN, think it is GGSPN

20th Nov 2008, 14:42
Flyglobespan have secured another MOD contract for 5 months with a 767 looks as if maybe the 752 will be doing SFB for the winter or at least till early next year! Flyglobespan lands itself MoD contract - Scotsman.com Business (http://business.scotsman.com/transport/Flyglobespan-lands-itself-MoD-contract.4713436.jp)

Expected to bring in 40 Million for leasing this winter
Profit looks set to be around 1 million poundsSo so far looks as if ther are going nowhere! :ok:

Skipness One Echo
20th Nov 2008, 15:07
for 5 months with a 767 looks as if maybe the will be doing SFB for the winter or at least till early next year!

Looks like what will be doing Sanford? I guess you mean the B757. 40 Million Quid for 5 months work is pretty good going (!) God forbid the RAF DESPERATELY needs those A330s......... as 101 SQ is running out of VC10s to cannibalise and the TriStars are knackered.

VC10 1966-
L1011 1982-

Blimey

scotsunflyer
20th Nov 2008, 16:21
Looks like this will be GCEOD, which is on lease to Air Calin until late November.

luvly jubbly
20th Nov 2008, 16:31
...... And is available for ACMI until needed for Canada routes in June.

Look out for more ACMI news soon though.

webby1919
20th Nov 2008, 18:17
Looks like we've secured a further MOD contract to cover another B763ER through to end of May 09.

GSM is looking forward to an even more successful S09 with more profit!

Flyglobespan lands itself MoD contract - Scotsman.com Business (http://business.scotsman.com/transport/Flyglobespan-lands-itself-MoD-contract.4713436.jp)

luvly jubbly
27th Nov 2008, 17:30
Anyone know whether these are Santa flights??

I'm wondering if it's on the 75 or 73....

LJ

webby1919
28th Nov 2008, 10:17
Rumours of a further B763ER for S09.

Fleet will remain as follows for S09:

B763ER 4
B752ER 1
B738s 5
B736 1
B73G 2
B733 2 (lease extended)

Also may be plans for further short-haul fleet added.

caaardiff
28th Nov 2008, 10:35
According to Jethro's its an Ex Zoom a/c.
I think all 5 are still in storage so could be any one.
Is this new a/c to expand scheduled routes or for more Charter contracts?

mmeteesside
28th Nov 2008, 11:56
Still no flights for Durham Tees though no doubt.

luvly jubbly
28th Nov 2008, 12:59
I guess they are hoping the MOD UID/BAH contract is ongoing....

28th Nov 2008, 14:51
Aren't both 736's being kept?

Most likely there will still only be 2 763's kept in the GSM fleet next summer. With other 2 on lease, though you never know they may keep 3.

Hopefully we will see another 752 and 1 or 2 more 737's! :ok:

Wellington Bomber
28th Nov 2008, 16:28
Did I not see an EX Globespan 737-600 in Eastar Jet colours in Airways, Apparently they operate in Korea

28th Nov 2008, 18:07
Sale supposidly fell through!

GSM SCOT
28th Nov 2008, 19:25
There are no 600's left in the fleet, 300's will also go at the end of January.

Skipness One Echo
28th Nov 2008, 19:29
Looks like a sensible plan then. Dump the older 737s and standardise on the B737-700 and -800s. Get out of Teesside, because......well frankly you would if you had the chance.
Focus on the long haul program on your own 767 / 757 metal and boost the coffers with ACMI on the other 767 over the summer. Under the circumstances, that's all we ought to be hoping for and let the fan boys shelf the world domination pipe dreams until the storm is over.

Check Mags On
29th Nov 2008, 04:40
Sale of the 600 has gone through, saw the aircraft on the ground at Muscat this morning.

It was on a layover en-route Korea.

CMO

29th Nov 2008, 14:18
Quite surprisd to see GSM are actually aquireing another 763!
MME is definetley gone! I thought 733's are going to chillie for forseeable future bringing in the cash! Sure ly GSM are going to get some replacement a/c for all the olders 737's they are disposing of.

Pontious
30th Nov 2008, 11:28

Why so suprised to see another 767 coming? IMHO they need a total of 5 763ER's & 2 B752's as well as standising on the B737-700/738's & staying away from the B739.

After speaking to mates of mine that flew the B739 at XL before their demise the B739 struggled to make LGW & MAN from Egypt. If they can't make Southern or Central UK airports, then they won't make Scottish ones. No B737 of any series can do the job of a B752 or offer its level of flexibility.

4th 767 is due in 03-05/09 apparently.

bushbolox
1st Dec 2008, 09:52
If they are doing so well, why the need to keep harping on about it here?
Permenantly reshuffling kit, relying on MOD work (Very dodgy unless you are the lowest of the lowest bidder everytime) are no the sort of signs that would have me buying a house in wilmslow at 5 times a salary dependant on the above.

Having had much experience of MOD and other large charters be advised that civil servants dont care about performance, only price. There are many more Omnis out there and ruthless to the point of corruption allegedly.

Id feel safer sending my kid to a sleep over with gazzer and jacko.

So If Im wrong no need to keep proving it on here is there?:ugh:

Everyone thats gone under so far had plenty of work .

ducati1980
1st Dec 2008, 20:18
Bush? Bolox!!!! says it all really !!! does someone really need to explain the use of this site to you? I would suggest if you don't want to read or hear about flyglobespan (good or bad) don't come on the thread. This site is for (what I believe should be) substantiated rumours good and bad and information for people who are interested in a particular subject.

Some people still seem more interested in Globespan bashing than saying anything constructive, so to suggest people shouldn't post what they feel is good news or information on what is a rumour site is frankly ridiculous.

nivsy
2nd Dec 2008, 14:56
And Bush - the procurement cycle of the MoD has changed somewhat to what you infer.

VFM - which means meeting the specification and delivering Key performance Indictors and operating under Partnering arrangements are requirements for down selection amongst many others. This is also especially so when considering vital air bridge operations.

Ofcourse price plays a vital role with VFM solutions - however customer (and Industry) expectations need to be assessed in terms of delivering the output and assessing the risk.

GSM would have been well scrutinised and assessed for this vital role that they now participate in - and ofcourse there could be issues (although I understand that the customer experience and level of satisfaction) albeit early days in somewhat commendable to the operator.

Nivsy

gflynorw
6th Dec 2008, 12:25
....to pick up palmair charters from BOH from Jan.

chickenstrips
6th Dec 2008, 16:04
Strange!

I'd heard that we had been asked by palmair to slot in where EAC had been, but it was not cost effective. That was a couple of days ago and there are a couple of, very cheap to us, -300's gathering snow and ice, so.... Thought Jet2 were doing it now?

gflynorw - what details do you have? ie length of contract, I assume it'll be a wet ACMI??

I understand that our WY contract has been further extended. Good news there then!

Also, with KD now sold and KT to be leaving us - anything more on further airframes? Other than a 76 as noted above, last I'd heard it was a couple of -800's but that's gone all quiet!

luvly jubbly
6th Dec 2008, 17:26
Too many ACMI and not enough selling of our own seats......

Smells like fattening up ready for a sale!

chickenstrips
6th Dec 2008, 18:02
LJ,

Any idea who? Flybe seem to be on a role for world domination....:eek:

Doubt he's fattening his goose - well, not those you and I push through the sky...

luvly jubbly
6th Dec 2008, 18:58
I'm not saying it's anyone in particular! I'm no expert, but these ACMIs seem to be short term gain for the airline! I do, however, hear we have been up for sale for some time now.....

GSM SCOT
6th Dec 2008, 19:39
Short term ACMI'S are better than having the aircraft sitting on the ground all winter costing money.
Brings a lot of money into the company

luvly jubbly
6th Dec 2008, 19:47
I fully understand sending the 767s away as there's not enough winter trade for them, but the downsized 737 fleet?????

None of the 737s should be on the ground. Are you really saying that the credit crunch has hit us so hard that we can't sell our own seats anymore??

GSM SCOT
6th Dec 2008, 20:12
Credit crunch has hit everyone, better to downsize the fleet and remain profitable then expand again when the economy recovers.

8th Dec 2008, 16:16
Well the 737-300's and 600's are off!
Flyglobespan (http://jethros.eu/fleets/fleet_listings/flyglobespan.htm) Thank Jethros!

Surely GSM are going to get a couple of replacements in or will it just be 7 737's for S09 then?

Anyone heard anything?

MARKEYD
10th Dec 2008, 11:38
Has anyone heard anything about the deal that Palmair may have done with Flyglobespan about leasing an aircraft from them to operate there schedules from Bournemouth from January using 737 aircraft but Palmair cabin crew on board ( doubt very much it would be a 737 800 as to big for the Palmair operation )

Would this lease impact on there own operation from various airports or do they intend to bring back an existing 737 that may possibly be off elsewhere

Palmair have a very successful operation from Bournemouth operating to Tenerife , Palma , Lanzarote , Fuerteventura , Funchal , Monastir , Faro , Brescia , Mahon , Corfu , Naples , Rhodes this year a very busy programme

luvly jubbly
10th Dec 2008, 13:57
Er.... Yes... looking at post #106.......

Palmair thread claims it's our 1 remaining B736 (G-CDKT), which was to be sold off.
More fuel efficient than EAL's old -200, but can the -600 do TFS & FUE witout tech stops? They did struggle from STN!

Palmair operate year round with their own cabin crew, so look out for a BOH base for GSM pilots only!??

fokkerplod
11th Dec 2008, 14:59
Any truth in the rumour of operating the Dallo Airlines contract LGW/CDG/JIB ?

was a AEU contract on the B757 some time back

hamiltonyhm
12th Dec 2008, 10:04
Flyglobespan are asking for 737 trained cabin crew volunteers to operate hajj flights on behalf of Dallo Airlines over the xmas and new year period with a £350 bonus. Contract not signed yet.

webby1919
15th Dec 2008, 11:14
GSM released weekly direct flights from GLA to Halifax, Summer 09 starting May 09 departing Wed.

Picking up the extra capacity from Zoom. Wonder if there is more to come to fill the ex-Zoom A/C that GSM are to receive for S09.

freightdoggy dog
15th Dec 2008, 11:29
Markeyd. Jet2 have the Palmair contract till end of March 09 and also doing the JIB with a B757 for Dallo. Think GSM will start the Palmair in APR 09,but guess RYR will then increase activity against BT and dump seats on the same routes ?

airhumberside
15th Dec 2008, 11:38
What is Halifax being operated on - a B757 or B767?

I cant see FR starting BOH-Monastir of BOH-Rhodes some how. Palmair will still be Palmair, just a different aircraft and pilots. So no increase of competition. Just a new operator for an existing programme of flights

15th Dec 2008, 15:45
Good to see relauch of Halifax, maybe Ottawa?

Could be GSM are planning on using 3 767-300's S09 or another 752 we don't know of yet. Will have to wait and see! :)

Anything on a couple of new additions to short-haul fleet?

Is the delay in GSM taking over Palmair ops being incured on GSM's side of things or because Jet2 were offering a better deal till the end of march?

airhumberside
15th Dec 2008, 20:19
Can a B737 do GLA-Halifax non-stop?

Lorek
19th Dec 2008, 14:26
do you guys think it would be possible that GSM would do Glasgow-Halifax without a layover for crew in there ? It's only 6 hours ish and the whole trip is shorter than Edinburgh-Sharm El Sheikh that they do everyweek... but there is a time difference of 4 h between Glasgow and Halifax where Egypt is only 2 h.. dunno, i;m not that good with flight time limitations... but wouldn't like to do this flight if it's there and back....

DAVYDAY
19th Dec 2008, 18:34
Globespan PLC have now bought their own Ground Handling company
"Alba Ground Handling Company Ltd" is now 100% owned by Globespan PLC..

Alba started 2 years ago and Globespan bought 40% share in them
earlier this week it was announced to staff that they have been taken over.

Gerry Rodden will remain at the helm as General Manager,however,Morag has resigned.
There will be a new MD in place early in the new year.

Alba operate at both GLA & EDI...:D

Skipness One Echo
19th Dec 2008, 19:20
Funny that cos we all knew it was Globespan Handling from Day 1.......

webby1919
20th Dec 2008, 10:51
YHM flights now operating with a B763ER. Business class seats on sale now.

Which leaves the B752ER doing nothing for S09 - yet!

CabinCrewe
20th Dec 2008, 13:00
757 for Halifax.....?

Lorek
20th Dec 2008, 13:38
how do you know Hamilton is on 757 ? It's not only 767 that has got business class...

CabinCrewe
20th Dec 2008, 15:38
He knows because he works for them. I dont think business class was offered to YHM. :rolleyes:

Lorek
20th Dec 2008, 16:10
It was as I worked for them and operated on this flight couple of times. I was told that 757 was meant be doing YHM-EDI--BCN-EDI-YHM on Fridays or Saturdays during Summer 2009. Don't know whether it's still gonna happen.
x

20th Dec 2008, 19:28
If GSM are to use 3 763's next year for YHM, SFB & YVR,YYC.

What you think they will use the 752 on? Maybe a return of GLA-BOS?

CabinCrewe
20th Dec 2008, 22:37
They couldnt fill a double drop 737 so I cant see them reinstating it with a 757.

gflynorw
21st Dec 2008, 22:00
757 is leaving the fleet after early april sfbs

gavin360
22nd Dec 2008, 15:21
so will the 763 be on sfb winter and summer ?

gflynorw
22nd Dec 2008, 16:02
No winter schedule up yet but Id suspect no SFB as 767 are more profitable when leased out.

22nd Dec 2008, 16:54
Why is the 752 leaving? Thought the lease was over 10 years! Will be sad to see it go.

allan1987
22nd Dec 2008, 19:48
I cant see the 757 leaving but it might be only for its c check and does any one know what plane will do bfs-sfb weekly from 1st May also might do bfs-stb Toronto (Hamilton Intl) weekly from 8th

Alan Tracey
28th Dec 2008, 18:51
Has the Palmair contract now gone to Jet2 ??

Thaimike
29th Dec 2008, 01:19
If you check out the threads on the Bournemouth site it seems certain that Jet 2 have the contract to service Palmair. Jet 2 will provide a based a/craft & flight deck crew, Palmair will use their own cabin crew who will be trained by Jet 2 trainers early in the new year.

29th Dec 2008, 16:38
So is that the 736 set for a long park up?

Shame, Jet2 must have just offered a better deal unless it is just until April 09 Jet2 will operate for Plamair.

Is the 752 leaving for good or just C Check?

SWBKCB
31st Dec 2008, 16:13
Comments from the top man in The Scotsman (my underlining):

By Tom Dalrymple
THE decision that BAA must sell off Edinburgh Airport is eminently sensible and one that will lead to the long-term benefit of the Edinburgh air traveller.
As flyglobespan is one of the few airlines which fly from all three of BAA's current Scottish airports I was interviewed by the Competition Commission and I am pleased they appear to have listened to my recommendations – as the case is unarguable.

Flyglobespan enjoys a very good relationship with BAA. Apart from one summer when we flew out of Prestwick, our Scottish operation has been based entirely from the three BAA airports of Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen. We could not – and would not – have grown our operations from all three bases had the relationship not been a good one, based on mutual respect.

However, I have to admit at some unease regarding a level of complacency from the airports. While independently-owned airports in England are courting flyglobespan to launch routes from their sites, there is not the same drive for new business from their Scottish counterparts. Competition between the three Scottish airports would surely change that attitude.

So why Edinburgh? Well, no matter whether Glasgow or Edinburgh is sold by BAA, it will provide competition between each other which will be good for the central Scotland traveller.

With Prestwick Airport so close, Glasgow already has an element of competition. Edinburgh has no such equivalent and if it and Aberdeen remain within the BAA framework the east of Scotland will be hugely disadvantaged.

Put an independent Edinburgh Airport into the triangle of a BAA-owned Glasgow and Aberdeen set-up, and you have an operation which has to be at its very best at all times in order to compete effectively. It would have to ensure its facilities were better than its rivals, its access and parking weretop notch and, yes, its landing charges as competitive as possible.

Would that mean lower landing charges and therefore savings for customers? Potentially. Competition would give us the ability to negotiate prices as low as possible – at present we have nothing to negotiate against.

One proviso – I would hope that when Edinburgh Airport sell-off happens, Newcastle Airport is not allowed to be among the bidders. That would create the possibility of Scottish routes and programme being taken south for business reasons rather than the convenience of Edinburgh passengers.

An independently-owned Edinburgh Airport, working constantly to ensure its facilities and services are at the highest level to compete effectively against its Scottish rivals would be an ideal working partner not just for this airline but for every carrier. And the long-term winner would be the Edinburgh traveller.

Don't remember any other comments about NCL being interested in EDI - where's that come from??

theredbarron
1st Jan 2009, 22:10
Tom D is absolutely right here. Maybe this post is a bit off-thread, i.e. not specifically Fly Globespan, but I just want to add that I am wholeheartedly in favour of an EDI sell-off but not to anyone owning either of the two major North of England airports of Manchester and Newcastle. That would simply create a new competition issue. I know that MAN is owned by a consortium of N of England local authorities, but who owns NCL ?

In the case of Manchester Airport Group, just go look at the investment they have made at East Midlands in the years that they have owned it: can't be more then two and sixpence, if that. What a dump, save for the new check-in area it is still mostly a clapboard building like the old Turnhouse of 30 years ago, not one airbridge, the slowest security I have ever gone through, and no doubt left that way to encourage pax to use MAN.

I hope that out there somewhere there is a group of Scottish entrepreneurs willing to come up with the £££s to take Edinburgh on; given the current financial climate it could well be a good buy for the longer term. If not maybe Mr Salmond will buy it for the country?

Ph1l1pncl
1st Jan 2009, 22:36
Newcastle airport is 51% owned by 7 local councils

Newcastle
Northumberland
North Tyneside
South Tyneside
Gateshead
Sunderland
DurhamThen the remaining 49% is owned by Copehagen Airport. This is why the majority of the shops and restraunts are in the deaparture lounge and not landside, as its like this at Copehagen Airport.

luvly jubbly
2nd Jan 2009, 08:06
This is totally off topic now.... Can we please get back to GSM??

I've heard too many stories of late..... so...

How many 767s are coming?
Is the 757 going?
Is MME closing for good?
Is Halifax gonna be on 737s? If so will we seek ETOPS re-approval on the 737 fleet?
And I hear commercial are sounding out new summer routes for the long haul fleet. Anywhere nice?

Good luck to all at GSM for 2009

LJ

c2lass
2nd Jan 2009, 16:43
Well what a great start to the New Year. Had flights booked from ABZ to LPA for 9th February with Globespan. Held back from booking accommodation in case they pulled the flight. Booked my accommodation through Airmiles (Thomsons) on Xmas Eve. Email received today from Globespan. Yes my gut feeling was correct, they have cancelled the flight from ABZ - LPA due to lack of demand so I am now £275 out of pocket as into 50% cancellation charges with Thomsons and travel insurance does not cover.

I will NEVER EVER book a low cost airline again! :mad::\:(

Richard Taylor
2nd Jan 2009, 16:52
GSM's attempts to make a success of a base at ABZ have been worthy, but let's face it, unless it's PMI or TFS (& perhaps AGP) there just isn't sufficient catchment area to offer flights to sustain a base, especially in times of a Credit Crunch. Plus most people around the NE prefer to transport themselves down to EDI or GLA to catch a flight as it's still more cost effective to do so. :ugh:

No wonder the NE Scotland struggles to get the flights it thinks it deserves. It certainly DOESN'T deserve them, they are never used in enough numbers!

My sympathies, c2lass.

Mister Geezer
2nd Jan 2009, 17:07
Looking farther down the line, I would not be surprised to see GSM focus mainly on ACMI operations and perhaps retain a token number of summer flights to the popular hotspots etc.

hamiltonyhm
5th Jan 2009, 23:53
Dont tell me you have only just realised!

Wee Willy McGorbals
6th Jan 2009, 00:04
No hamiltonyhm, I realised some time ago.

I've just had enough!

c2lass
6th Jan 2009, 05:39
So, the way they treat their own staff is beyond contempt, the way they treat their customers is also beyond contempt. Interestingly I did a google search on "flyglobespan complaints" and found numerous sites where people have been treated appallingly by Flyglobespan, and now I can add my own experience to others.

Does anyone have an email address either for Mr Dalrymple(MD) or Mr Green (CEO) or indeed any other senior board member of Globespan whom I can direct my complaint?

Edit to above - Just checked my bank account and GSM have refunded me my flight ticket costs but seem to have forgotten about the extra leg room seats I booked and paid for :mad: Now I obviously have another battle on hand!

6th Jan 2009, 15:36
I see CWL-YHM has gone out the window to now. "And then there was one" southern airport left LGW.

hamiltonyhm
6th Jan 2009, 17:01
It's not like GSM to change their mind/routes/flights/aircraft/times/days is it? how very unusual.....................

luvly jubbly
6th Jan 2009, 18:37
Probably wasn't worth taking a 767 thru CWL. I should imagine that route was planned with the 757 in mind, and if JM leaving the fleet then the routes will have to be changed!

Let's face it, BRS and EXT were a waste of time. CWL would have been just as much hassle, with crews positioning around the country in planes, trains & automobiles.
At the moment, I really don't care where we fly from or to, as long as it's profitable.

LJ

Skipness One Echo
6th Jan 2009, 19:04
Let's face it, BRS and EXT were a waste of time. CWL would have been just as much hassle

What a waste, Globespan sold well when the routes were served by Canadian airlines in the past. Shame they can't manage it themselves (!)

caaardiff
6th Jan 2009, 20:47
CWL has always had a Canadian link, apparently since the 70's.

Zoom (RIP) were serving YYZ twice a week (One with 757 split with LGW, one with 767 split with BFS), YVR once a week during summer, and once a week to YYZ planned for this winter.
There's a market there, thats probably why they were so quick to drop BRS and move to CWL when Zoom went bust.
Havent seen or heard ANY advertising from GSM around South Wales though.

Callsign Kilo
6th Jan 2009, 22:26
Add to this a faceless 737 fleet manager.

I saw his face once. Bad experience though. He didn't think much of me. Ho-hum. :p

webby1919
7th Jan 2009, 16:50
ILFC | Press Releases (http://207.45.187.42/~ilfc01/viewArticle.php?id=204)

Confirmed lease of further B763ER for 5 years. Due for delivery Feb 2009.

jethro15
7th Jan 2009, 17:26
Ex Zoom UK G-CZNA as refered to in post 91, 28 Nov 08

jethro's UK and Ireland Airline Fleet Listings (http://www.jethros.eu)

scotsunflyer
8th Jan 2009, 19:00
B736 (GCDKT) en route at the moment to East Midlands from Bacau.

Haven't heard if this is to operated scheduled services from Glasgow or Edinburgh yet, or whether it is going to EMA to be relivered?

mmeman
10th Jan 2009, 13:06
In the press here, it said flyglobespan were deciding on 10 January if they were going to operate from MME this summer. Any body heard any news?

CabinCrewe
10th Jan 2009, 13:34
Halifax ex GLA "operates without business class" as advertised in National Press. Presumably confirms 737 ops either 738 or 73G.

jamier
10th Jan 2009, 18:52
last globespan flight today from mme.

looks like theyre gone for good.

11th Jan 2009, 17:02
Not nessicerely! When will GSM publish there findings of the study the put on about flights out of MME?

If anything GSM may base an a/c or a couple flights coming through on route from GLA and EDI!

webby1919
11th Jan 2009, 19:34
For S09, Canadian longhaul will be operated by one B763ER, YHM, YVR and YYC. Another B763ER to operate SFB flights. This leaves 2 B763ERs for ACMI work. B752ER going back to lessor April 09. No other shorthaul A/C coming on line for S09 as yet. B736 leaving for overseas to new operator mid-January, so no Palmair/MME base with this A/C. The 2 B733s will be leaving the fleet Jan/Feb 09. Only 7 A/C for shorthaul this Summer.

Carnethy
11th Jan 2009, 22:48
I fear that GSM may be making a horrible mistake in relying upon one aircraft to operate the whole Canadian program for 09. It would have been sensible to have retained the 757 for the YHM service (as was 2008) and used a 767 for YVR, etc. Why are they letting the 757 go? I hope & pray they don't cock it up as they did in 2007 when I personally was delayed +12hr at YHM.
With no Zoom now, it seems odd that they are doing it in this way. Added to the fact that it isn't even a direct flight from EDI to YHM now, I might just go from GLA to YYZ with TCX now....extra legroom too!
Reckon ops need to think again!!

airhumberside
12th Jan 2009, 10:42
For S09, Canadian longhaul will be operated by one B763ER, YHM, YVR and YYC. Another B763ER to operate SFB flights
The SFB aircraft will have one flight to Canada a week. There is no SFB flight on a Wednesday so it will do either DUB-YYC-YVR or MAN-BFS-YHM

12th Jan 2009, 15:43
So much for expansion though these are difficult times.

Absolute shame to see the 752 going. I believe it fitted right into the GSM fleet to possible long-haul and also good for european flights ansd stand by.

Suppose we have all known for a long time MME was going but the short haul fleet is definetley going to feel the strain down to 7 a/c and on long haul if one of the 763's goes out of the game even for a couple of hours thats the strict timetable gone to pieces :ugh: = repeat of S07! :bored:

airnoc
18th Jan 2009, 21:55
Any chance GSM would come to noc to nyc & bos?. Had good passagers number in 2007 despite delays i am sure they are sorted by now.

matkat
19th Jan 2009, 23:26
With the bad publicity and hard time GSM received whilst at noc I very much doubt they will return, I was in the boardroom when the newspaper articles came in and TD was none to pleased.

scotsunflyer
20th Jan 2009, 00:30
With both B733 gone shortly, the B752 going in April, and the remaining B736 on dry lease to Egypt, that leaves only 5 B738 and 2 B73W for the summer short haul. (off which I cannot see how the EDI/BCN/EDI will operate on Fridays), and 2 B763 on hire to the MOD, with 2 B763 for the long haul ops, there doesn't look to be any spare capacity this year.

In fact I am suprised GSM are not bringing in another B738, as if there are tech problems then they could be facing a difficult summer. Hoepfully tho using the newer aircraft they wont have as many problems as the B733/6 did the last few years.

gflynorw
20th Jan 2009, 20:29
What airline are going to have spare aircraft??????? Globespan have never had spare aircraft!

Skipness One Echo
20th Jan 2009, 21:52
easyJet and Ryanair have spares available, as do BA. ie Larger airlines have the ability to juggle resting aircraft whereas as GSM have chosen to sweat their assets into the ground ( figure of speech that ). This can work well but only with a reliable fleet. Time will tell.

Afinehelmet
20th Jan 2009, 23:57
Many of us within GSM feel that only seven 737NG's to cover the summer programme just won't be enough. However, it would seem that the board believe that this is the way forward during the current economic climate.

Crews are being let go as the company has way to many having got rid of the 600's and 300's. Which is a real shame as many of us feel that following the loss of a few airlines last year, now could be a good time to be aggressive and expand into the vacuum that's been created.

There certainly seems to be a bit of re-structuring at present.

Lorek
21st Jan 2009, 03:02
concerning all the fleet changes etc. do you guys know if globespan willl be looking for temporary crew for summer 2009 ? I used to fly with them last year and would really like to come back.

webby1919
21st Jan 2009, 09:13
With the extra A/C leaving the fleet over W08, the requirement for crew over S09 will be reduced. Doubt we will be needing as many crew as last year. 4 A/C gone since S08, 20 crew per A/C, 80 crew approx no longer required. We do have B763ER coming online next month, not sure if this is for ACMI work though.

22nd Jan 2009, 15:03
Anyone slightly worried we could be about to see a repeat of S07?
Though it could be even worse this time with even less a/c for a tight (extremly tight) schedule! :bored:

gflynorw
22nd Jan 2009, 17:33
Honestly...it's not even summer yet and it's started!

22nd Jan 2009, 18:28
Now, Now never hurts to think ahead! :D

GSM SCOT
22nd Jan 2009, 18:46
More reliable aircraft this year and not as busy a flight schedule this summer so no, not worried about a repeat of S07

LPFR
23rd Jan 2009, 19:27
Seven 737NG, will this be the GSM short haul fleet for this summer? So will GCEJP be back from lease by summer?

And how many of them will be based in EDI and GLA?

scotsunflyer
23rd Jan 2009, 19:54
Summer 09 should be:

Shorthaul

EDI

B73H GCDEG
B73H GCEJP (expected to EDI, end of April. GLA aircraft to cover until then)
B73W GSEFC

ABZ

B73W GSMJF

GLA

B73H GDLCH
B73H GSAAW
B738 GCEJO

Longhaul (2 based GLA, 2 based BZZ)

B763 GCDPT
B763 GGSPA
B763 GCEFG
B763 GCEOD

The following to be dry leased

B736 GCDKT (dry lease to Egypt)

The following to return to lessor

B733 GGSPN (due C check and handback during Feb))
B733 GOTDA (on C check, handback at present)
B752 GCEJM (due to handback end April)

Hold position
25th Jan 2009, 14:17
What will happen if the aircraft in Oman stays there? Are they going to get another aircraft or drop some of there flights?

GSM SCOT
25th Jan 2009, 18:02
It won't, it will be back in March

malagajohn
26th Jan 2009, 06:49
Its not all doom and gloom

From Todays Glasgow Herald

Flyglobespan Returns To Profit After Rethink On Destinations (from The Herald ) (http://www.theherald.co.uk/business/news/display.var.2484466.0.Flyglobespan_returns_to_profit_after_r ethink_on_destinations.php)

Flyglobespan returns to profit after rethink on destinations

Flyglobespan, Scotland's biggest airline, is on course to grow profits after returning to the black in the latest year, when it recorded a significant improvement in trading despite surging oil prices and the slowdown in consumer spending.

Tom Dalrymple, owner and chairman of the company, said that although many rivals had struggled in the year to October, Flyglobespan made a trading profit of £1.2m. It made a pre-tax loss of £19.3m in the preceding year.

The renewed success came after the company decided to focus on destinations in Europe after running into problems in the transatlantic market in the previous year.
advertisement

The company pinned the blame for the first loss in its 35-year history largely on problems with aircraft leased from Icelandair for flights to North America. It subsequently stopped operating flights using Icelandair planes and limited its operations to services it could provide with its own planes.

In September, chief executive Rick Green said Flyglobespan had been required to refocus on its short-haul European flights, cut back on transatlantic routes and work to ensure that it had the highest loads.

In a trading update yesterday, Dalrymple said the changes had paid off.

"We learned quickly from those experiences. Last year we flew only our own aircraft and the difference has been hugely satisfying - with record load factors for our sector.

"We are back into profit and, had the fuel rises not been so steep, that profit would have been considerably more. But, considering the difficulties of the sector, I have no complaints."

While some airlines have foundered in recent months, including Canada specialist Zoom, Flyglobespan appears to be in a strong financial position.

Dalrymple noted that Flyglobespan was free of debt. In addition to having cash reserves, the company has a significant property portfolio.

Green said: "Looking forward, our sales and revenues are on plan. Our core routes for 2009 are holding their popularity."

Flyglobespan axed routes from Glasgow to Boston and from Liverpool to New York that it had flown using Icelandair planes. However, the company still flies to North America. Last month it announced plans to start a service linking Glasgow with Halifax in Canada from May.

The company recently won contracts from the Ministry of Defence to fly to the Falkland Islands and Qatar from RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire.

28th Jan 2009, 16:52
Do you think SFB will be kept for W09 or for that matter do you think there will be any long haul a/c W09?

Seen as how the 752 is going (such a shame) :sad:

webby1919
28th Jan 2009, 17:20
SFB will be kept no doubt - very strong year-round route.

I have to comment on GSMs punctuality this winter. Although there are fewer routes this winter, GSM have kept their punctuality very well. Most flights coming in on time or early. SFB longhaul route is doing very well this winter too. Hardly any major delays!

Our newer A/C are more reliable, so getting rid of B733s/B736s is a great move. The 7 shorthaul A/C will cover the schedule for S09.

Expansion will be slow and steady now with extra routes added over each season. Turkey/Egypt will be very popular this summer.

Wonder what's in store for W09? Should be released fairly shortly. Usual ALC, AGP, PMI, FAO, GVA, TFS, SFB, PFO, ACE, LPA, HRG/SSH, etc.

scotsunflyer
28th Jan 2009, 18:01
The last of the B733 left the fleet today as GSM733P from GLA to BCM for C check and hand back

28th Jan 2009, 18:29
Oh well then end of an era in the history of GSM exit of 737 classics/older NG'S hello 737NG'S maybe in a few years to come. :ok:

The only doubts i have is that will GSM be able to fill a 763 W09 if no 752?

Anybody know why the 752 is leaving its a perfectly good a/c only about 12 years which is very young for a 752 compared to the likes of the 30 years of Jet2's. Is it just end of lease?

webby1919
28th Jan 2009, 18:33
A good end of an era though - the B733s have served their purpose for GSM. The NG A/C are the way forward for the airline. We may even have a couple more A/C by S10.

The B752ER has not been confirmed that it is leaving the fleet. However, there is no requirement for this A/C S09. Either this A/C is being leased out or it is leaving the fleet.

757flyer
28th Jan 2009, 19:27
quote Anybody know why the 752 is leaving its a perfectly good a/c only about 12 years which is very young for a 752 compared to the likes of the 30 years of Jet2's. Is it just end of lease?
what crap, jet2 757s are between 18 and 20 years old and a damn sight more reliable than the GSM 752! perhaps due to better maintenance?

webby1919
28th Jan 2009, 20:21
GSMs engineering for Longhaul is Monarch and our A/C are very reliable, as I am sure LS A/C are well maintained. Don't really think it matters what age an A/C is as long as it is adequately maintained.

If the B752 is leaving the fleet, it's because there is no need for it this summer. There is an extra B763ER coming in Feb - all economy. This will allow GSM to sell more seats to YHM.

Skipness One Echo
28th Jan 2009, 20:39
SFB will be kept no doubt - very strong year-round route.

It's incredibly seasonal surely. Once a week tops in the winter and daily in the summer is not a strong year round performance. I doublt they will offer SFB on the 763 next winter, they will find something more productive for it to do.

We shall see.

29th Jan 2009, 15:01
Oh ok 757Flyer obviously hit a nerve there.

Yes well GSM being GSM i would have thought leasing off the 752 would have been more there thing for S09 its a great a/c to have over the Winter for SFB flights and extra capacity on European routes and to be fair its never had any major problems of its own doing.

However they may keep 1 for W09 for SFB and maybe a carribean route or somewere exsotic from maybe MAN, LGW or GLA, will have to wait and see.

How many 763's will there be operating S09 anyway?

TechProblem
1st Feb 2009, 09:47
Is Manchester goin to be used this year?
The Toroto's (YHM) seemed to do very well last year.

luvly jubbly
1st Feb 2009, 10:38
Yup. Canada.
flyglobespan.com | Timetables for flights to Europe, Canada and the USA (http://www.flyglobespan.com/timetables.asp)

As regards the 757, it will go unless a good ACMI is found for it.
767s are far easier to ACMI, and neither crew nor pax want to tech stop to The States these days. All that should have stopped in the '90s!!
I hope the 75 goes as it's pointless having only one.

LJ

1st Feb 2009, 14:58
Will GSM be using 3 763's S09?

airhumberside
1st Feb 2009, 19:14
2 B767s can cover SFB/YHM/YYC/YVR flying based on published timetables

afterdark
3rd Feb 2009, 08:22
763 G-CDPT arrived in Glasgow yesterday as GY8805
is this the aircraft back after refurb supposedly due during winter 08 ?
what will it be doing now till the summer ?

Deeko01
3rd Feb 2009, 10:40
I thought it went down to Paris CDG from Glasgow as the above flight number??????

3rd Feb 2009, 16:29
Well MME gone, but who didn't already know that....
Airline confirms final departure from airport (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/4096380.Airline_confirms_final_departure_from_airport/)
Flyglobespan departs Durham Airport (http://news.cheapflights.co.uk/flights/2009/02/flyglobespan-departs-durham-airport.html)

Think GSM will ever move back into the rest of the uk again for short-haul?

Skipness One Echo
3rd Feb 2009, 18:23
Well they've hacked off Stansted, Liverpool and now Teesside. I think easyJet, Monarch and Ryanair have most of the typical routes well sewn up.

There's always Prestwick....he he

tallaonehotel
4th Feb 2009, 07:24
G-CDPT had Gabon Airways titles applied to it earlier in the week....
Might explain the GY flight number.

Hold position
4th Feb 2009, 12:59
The crew and aircraft will be based in Paris to operate the air Gabon flights .

Keyvon
4th Feb 2009, 13:07
EDI-FCO seems no longer on sale and has also disappeared from the timetable page.

4th Feb 2009, 14:47
Ryanair taking its toll maybe?

goldeneye
4th Feb 2009, 17:43
It looks very much like FR & EZY watched GSM to see what routes would be a sucess from EDI & GLA then started there own flights.
Currently
FR to CIA, ALC, AGP & PMI from EDI.
EZY to NCE, ALC & PMI from EDI and FAO, ALC, AGP, PMI, IBZ from GLA.

And not to mention Jet2 to MAH & PRG from Edinburgh.

4th Feb 2009, 20:06
Yes the competition has really stepped up since the times of 2002 when TD first saw that gap in the market.

GSM are really going to have to step up there game with low-fares, good service and hope that because they are well know in Scotland it will carry them through along with the long-haul. Its the EDI base taking the hardest hits with EZY, FR & even Jet2 pushing there way in.

This could be the time were they strengthen their GLA base maybe?

Either that or hit back hard at EDI, though i doubt GSM could mount a big enough threat unless they ploughed more short haul a/c into both EDI & GLA!

Bartek
4th Feb 2009, 20:13
With EZY and FR increasingly stepping on GSM's toes at EDI I would suggest it's time for GSM to shift from the likes of ALC, PMI etc and offer the kind of destinations from EDI that the other budget carriers, and indeed the charter airlines, do not serve e.g. Turkey, Greece, Morocco. GSM should look more to the 'medium haul' market from EDI with destinations like Athens, Heraklion, Izmir, Marrakesh etc. And yes, dare I say it, they should consider EDI-SFB too (that market is wide open).

dublindispatch
4th Feb 2009, 22:39
Any idea how the Dub YVR will run this year it looks like it is in from YVR via calgary and out afgain same route!! Mega delays again this year then!!

No doubt doing EDI-YVR-DUB-YVR-EDI or sum route like that, not knocking them fantastic crew to work with every one off them

Richard Taylor
8th Feb 2009, 08:16
Yet more cutbacks I read.

ABZ is no different in suffering from the credit crunch of course, but is the time approaching that GSM may decide to cut the ABZ base, at least until things get better again - in, say, 10yrs time??? ;)

scotsunflyer
8th Feb 2009, 09:25
Any idea how the Dub YVR will run this year it looks like it is in from YVR via calgary and out afgain same route!!

Aircraft positions in from GLA, then DUB-YYC-YVR-YYC-DUB then positions to GLA

goldeneye
8th Feb 2009, 18:18
With the 757's going i guess the EDI-YHM is on a 767. I can see it goes via DUB.

scotsunflyer
8th Feb 2009, 23:58
All flights across the pond booked 767

9th Feb 2009, 16:48
Do you think GSM are planning to keep a 763 for W09 seen as how theres a chance the 752 is going?
Either that or its a 738 to SFB or no Long-haul W09?

pinkpyjama
9th Feb 2009, 19:49
This contract runs until May I think it is. What's the chances of it being extended beyond this or any other MOD work for the 767 lined up?

DAVYDAY
11th Feb 2009, 11:32
I hear that Jet2 are covering the MOD flights?
Why not just hand it on a plate.

ABZ to go if numbers dont get up,yip PIK does look good.
getting squeezed in EDI by Ryanair,Easy and Jet2.oh dear.
selling more aircraft?:ugh:

webby1919
11th Feb 2009, 12:58
MOD work is carried out with our own B763s, however LS do have some MOD work of their own. Our contract is for 4 years with 1 B763 and to end of May 09 for the other B763. Probably extended once the 4th B763 arrived this month.

Further ACMIs over remainder of W08 going ahead.

ABZ is a strong Summer base, but not enough pax to justify winter base - yet!

Summer 09 sales ahead of plan, and profits up with substantial profit increase planned for this financial year.

We're getting rid of the old A/C, B733s and B736s, poss B752, good riddance I say. Best to focus on more reliable A/C, B738 and B73G.

As we now 100% own Alba, winning the Flybe contract for GLA is a major boost. Probably EDI handling will follow.

All in all, I'd say we are in a good position, and we're still flying!! Long may it continue.

Flightrider
11th Feb 2009, 21:23
Best to focus on more reliable A/C

Heaven help you with the "new" 767 joining the fleet then. It would not be my first choice of aircraft.

chickenstrips
12th Feb 2009, 16:34
Heaven help you with the "new" 767 joining the fleet then. It would not be my first choice of aircraft.

What a great post!!

So, tell us - what could we introduce to the fleet that would give the same flexibility, ease of integration and availability as the 76?

I'm going to love this response!!

Bite-Test-Satis
12th Feb 2009, 18:26
I heard a rumour that 'In A Tea Cup' had lost the FlyGlobeSpan maintenance contract!!! - So, who got it? And does that cover the MOD contract at BZZ?

12th Feb 2009, 19:59
When dou you think GSM will start releasing the W09 schedule, think we will se any expansion to more mid-haul?

Flightrider
12th Feb 2009, 20:12
what could we introduce to the fleet that would give the same flexibility, ease of integration and availability as the 76

A different 767-300ER to the one you're getting. The one which is coming has so many differences to the three ex-Air New Zealand aircraft that it will inevitably make life difficult for a whole variety of reasons as it will be an oddball within the fleet. Where shall I start - is the different door config, extra crew training, lower take-off weight, less powerful engines, various oddities on the flightdeck with avionics kit enough to be going on with?

Tell you what - wait until it's been in service for a month or two and let's revisit this discussion. Trust me - this is not an anorak posting about aircraft in general, it's very specific to the 767 in question. I spent more hours in a hangar trying to sort that thing out than I care to remember.

chickenstrips
12th Feb 2009, 21:21
Fair points Flightrider.

However, I’m sure there’s a reason why we’re getting that specific airframe. Furthermore, I can’t really see what major differences there are that the crew could not cope with!

The 75/76 bods have been operating both types and the 73 fleet had, until last few weeks, been operating four variants – The 733’s and 736’s being completely different from the 73G/8, which are themselves all slightly different. Not all that big a deal.

I guess through time, the crews will learn the differences and accept them. Zoom seemed to look after their aircraft fairly well, so at least it’s not going to be a complete lemon! Lets hope so!

matkat
13th Feb 2009, 07:18
Chicken, if you read flightriders post/s what he saying in reality that this particular A/C is a dog these things happen its just like a car some never go wrong but other of the same type and make do, an easy example for someone at FGS to compare is the B757 from Icelandair that caused so many problems with the S07 program, I suspect the only reason FGS are taking this particular A/C is cost and availability.

dionysius
13th Feb 2009, 10:34
Cannot see MOD contract to Al Udeid lasting much past May 09 as Basra pullout due to be completed by June.:rolleyes:

chickenstrips
13th Feb 2009, 11:16
matkat

I have read the post, which made clear sense the first time! So not sure what you are getting at. Yes there are going to be differences, as there were the ex DBA 733's and former SAS736's when they were in the home fleet! Trust me, extremely different products!

I'd hesitate to guess that this airframe will be used on a specific contract, which will make it less of an odd-ball from the remainder of the 76 fleet, with the same pilots, cabin crew and engineers working on it!

I'm sure cost and availability will have their role to play, especially in this climate. However, let's hope we have learnt our lesson of S'07 and we don't role those dice again!

bracebrace!
18th Feb 2009, 08:48
I've just had an email from Globespan saying that they have changed the departure times for my flight GSM318 FAO-GLA on 13th April 2009 from 1000 to 1750 (7hrs 50 minutes alteration).

These times are now totally unsuitable for my onwards travel plans so I called up to cancel and get a refund. I have been told that they ONLY refund for flight cancellations and as a result I will lose 80% of my money if I cancel. They have looked at other days but there is nothing suitable either OR they want MORE money as the tickets are more expensive.

Personally I think it's a disgrace that such a major timing change doesn't trigger a refund.

Anybody got any ideas if I have any rights to get my money back as I've been told that under their Terms and Conditions they are perfectly entitled to do this.

c2lass
18th Feb 2009, 12:09
bracebrace

I sympathise with you as I too have suffered a financial loss due to GSM cancelling their flights from ABZ - LPA. I lost 50% of my accommodation costs, complained to GSM but all I got was basically a "sorry but it is in our T&Cs"

I think a flight time has to change by 12 hours to be considered a major change so sadly think you are in the same situation as myself and probably many others by being out of pocket through no fault of your own due to an airline that does not give a damn about how they treat their customers.!

18th Feb 2009, 19:33
Anyone know when the W09 schedule will start to be released?

Think G-CEJO will ever get winglets?

webby1919
19th Feb 2009, 13:29
The W09 schedule will be released around 2nd week March. Usual stuff first I'd expect, TFS, AGP, etc.

The B738s are due maintenance in Feb/March, might see them fitted during this time.

pinkpyjama
20th Feb 2009, 09:49
Any news if the MOD will want to keep this one passed May?

blueplatinum
20th Feb 2009, 18:10
I lost 50% of my accommodation costs, complained to GSM but all I got was basically a "sorry but it is in our T&Cs"You said it. When will people ever realise that they agree to Ts&Cs when they book flights. It is clear enough in the booking process.

I think there is an argument that licenses for routes could be allocated based on which airlines have the Ts&Cs most favourable to PAX. That might help iron out some of the ridiculous things they are allowed to get away with!

waffler
20th Feb 2009, 20:17
I got an email from tuifly about my flight from Frankfurt to Antalya today stating that my flight in June was changed from 1430 to 0500. It didnt suit as I had to fly from Dublin to connect. I rang them and we agreed to change the flight from Munich instead at a suitable time for the same cheap price.A full refund was also on offer. So the terms depend on who you book with.

21st Feb 2009, 19:55
Have you noticed nearly all the Fleet seems to be here there and everywere. See its definate the 752 is to go by 23 March 2009.

Flyglobespan (http://www.jethros.eu/fleets/fleet_listings/flyglobespan.htm)

luvly jubbly
23rd Feb 2009, 06:39
Unfortunately, we really wanted Zoom UK's other 767 (sister to PT), but we were too late I hear......

Anyhoo, for what it's worth, I'm glad the 757 is going. I reckon the new (to our fleet) 767 should be put on the MOD run, as there's a core crew on that route so keeps the CC training to a minimum. Lets hope it doesn't go tech as much as that 757.......

LJ

gd44
28th Feb 2009, 21:30
Just reading Airliner World there, apparently the Palmair contract is going ahead. Article reads:

"Independent UK carrier Palmair has entered into a contract with Flyglobespan to damp-lease one of its Next Generation (NG) Boeing 737-600s. The aircraft was ferried to East Midlands Airports in early January to be painted in the Bournemouth - based carrier's levery for operation on its flights to the Algarve, Corfu, Fuertaventura, Lake Garda, Lanzarote, Madeira, Mallorca, Minorca, Sorrento, Tenerife and Tunisia.
Palmair had previously utilised a European Aircharter B737-200, but was forced to seek an alternate provider when that airline went into administration in 2008. It subsequently agreed a short term deal with Jet2 to use a B737-300 but will no fly the more modern NG model. It has won many plaudits for its excellent customer service and was ranked the best short haul airline in the world for 2008 by consumer magazine Which?"

Best short-haul airline in the world? Bit far is it not?

Regards,

INKJET
1st Mar 2009, 08:06
It did win the award, its based on customer feed back, which was about 90% positive, something thats not possible with a large carrier. The Globespan 736 has been parked ip at EMA for about 6 weeks now and was still their this morning.

freightdoggy dog
1st Mar 2009, 10:42
GD44,

Wrong..J2 finish their contract with Palmair at end of March then Viking take over for one month only. Then NO one knows what will happen.

It comes down to price and there is no profit in what is basically a 737-200 contract on airframes that were written off the books years ago.

Someone will have to bite the bullet...lease an airframe..let someone else manage that airframe on their aoc. I have also been told the bookings for S09for Palmair this summer are down due to the current economic climate.

Thats not surprising seeing that Gordon the one eyed Scottish idiot is stealing all the pensioners savings that are Palmairs core customers!

scotsunflyer
1st Mar 2009, 14:29
Looks like the B752 has finished passenger services with GSM, having left Glasgow yesterday to the Middle East (AUH).

Looks like one of the B737 going to Orlando for the next 3 Tuesdays, with the B763 taking over after this.

GSM SCOT
1st Mar 2009, 19:07
Its only away on a contract, will be back in time for the SFB

2nd Mar 2009, 17:41
Looks as if the 752 was just off bringing back troops from Afghanistan i believe. Back in GLA now i think though don't quote me on that.

LFT
2nd Mar 2009, 19:51
It was there @ 17:10 today when I arrived at GLA.

gd44
8th Mar 2009, 14:29
Does anyone know when the new 767 is being delivered?

Jethros is showing March 09, was just wondering if anyone had anything more specific.

Cheers,

Lorek
8th Mar 2009, 20:14
I was just checking prices for EDI/GLA-YHM and you can only book economy class... is it still 767 operating these flights ? maybe 737...

scotsunflyer
8th Mar 2009, 20:26
As you mentioned it is only economy class on EDI/YHM. Due to the new B767 only have an economy cabin. No time to refit it. Arrives in approx 3 weeks and straight on to Orlando runs, before it takes over on the YHM routes when the B767 returns from lease to Air Gabon, and goes on Orlando flights.

8th Mar 2009, 20:43
Take it G-CEOD'S lease with MOD been extended over S09

DAVYDAY
10th Mar 2009, 18:14
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

gd44
13th Mar 2009, 18:35
Noticed that GCEJO has just returned back to Glasgow today after being with Aerostar for a week.

It has been away for a week and from my limited knowledge it can be anything from 3-10 days to apply winglets to a 737. Anyone know if its had them attached?

Cheers,

GSM SCOT
13th Mar 2009, 19:42
It was away for its C check, it will go down to southend in a few weeks to get its winglets fitted.

14th Mar 2009, 11:20
Good to hear! Not took long since the delivery for it to get them has it :)

So for GSM is this it now? Staying at a fleet of around 12 a/c with alot of ACMI work over the winter and slow, less evident expansion in the summer. Shame though i would have thought GSM could have taken advantage of 1 or 2 more cheap 737's out there on the market to help bolster there place and market share especially at EDI with FR, EZY, LS etc now having an impact and securing their position at GLA. As TD says GSM is still profitable and has no debts. Yet hes taking a very cautious approach cutting fleet and routes and concentrating on ACMI work which in the long run mayb be the better approach or it could be an opportunity missed.

Why did GSM take over alba?

matkat
14th Mar 2009, 14:43
And how many times has JO been booked into SEN for the elusive winglet fit? I personally booked it in 5 times its never going to happen. GSM you were there when I did it so you should know.

occasional
14th Mar 2009, 15:03
Bracebrace,

While something may appear permissible under the T and Cs it is worth remembering that "unfair" T and Cs are simply invalid.

I would certainly try the Small Claims Court to obtain a refund.

The SCC can be very efficient. My practice is to prepare all the documents and send copies to the offending party before sending them to the court. Usually seems to result in prompt payment.

BAladdy
15th Mar 2009, 11:29
gd44 - G-GSPA the ex Zoom 767 is expected around the beginning of the fourth week in May. It is currently in the US at DHN

Jet_stream
15th Mar 2009, 12:18
This 767 is in ATL at present where it is due to be painted.

luvly jubbly
15th Mar 2009, 14:00
G-SPNA is due to be with us at the end of this month.

LJ