PDA

View Full Version : Career Advise...Instructer

blanc
1st Oct 2008, 15:23
Hi All,

I stupidly turned down the chance to become a pilot in the aircore years ago. BiG MISTAKE! I have been working in the property industry for the last few years and have the usual, house and daughter to feed so quitting my job is not an option currently. I REALLY REALLY want to become a pilot, I thought it was a childhood fad, but that never went away. Step one ill need ppl.

What are my career options? I would love to be a commercial pilot but under the circumstances thats not an option just yet. What abot becoming an instructer? What is involved in doing this, how do I get qualified and what sort of pay etc? Also If I was to go down this route is it easier to get employed/sponsered by an airline as a cpilot?

Please help,

LOST

1800ed
1st Oct 2008, 16:29
An instructor is a commercial pilot, they will have a commercial pilots licence along with an instructors rating. If you want to be a commercial pilot, but have other commitments then you could consider the modular training route which breaks the training into smaller parts. Or, if you just want to fly for fun you could gain your PPL in your spare time. You can then add on different privileges to that licence so you can fly in different conditions, or aircraft type e.t.c...

coodem
1st Oct 2008, 17:06
You can become an FI with a PPL, but you won't be able to get paid, but you will get to fly for free. (Well apart from your travelling costs)

AlphaMale
1st Oct 2008, 17:11
... But you'll still need do have gained your CPL theory exams or ATPL GS exams to get the FI.

You'll also need 200 hours flight time with at least 100 hours PIC (if holding a CPL) or 150 hours PIC (if holding a PPL).

Nibbler
1st Oct 2008, 17:41
What are my career options? I would love to be a commercial pilot but under the circumstances thats not an option just yet. What abot becoming an instructer? What is involved in doing this, how do I get qualified and what sort of pay etc? Also If I was to go down this route is it easier to get employed/sponsered by an airline as a cpilot?

Rather than expain everything have a read of this, How to Become a Pilot (Europe/UK - JAA) (http://www.bestaviation.net/art_how_to_become_a_pilot_jaa.asp)

Get ready to spend 40-50k or more.

The pay for a flying instructor varies - you might secure a job which pays a retainer (800pm), with a rate for each hour you fly. Some places just pay an hourly flying rate but in either case earnings are very poor - between 10k - 15k a year. If you continue on to become a twin or IMC instructor then you'll get paid more but the costs of getting there can be significant.

The problem is that flying instructors (broadly) fall into 2 main camps, the airline pilot wannabe and the retired. Yes (before people rush to keyboards) there are a large number of part time flying instructors who instruct as a second job whilst working in a 'real' (paying) job. The problem with all 3 groups is there is an 'excuse' for schools not to pay a good wage in each case. This means anyone wanting to instruct on a full time basis is, well - a little mad, well off or has yet to get there and realise you can't live very well on that sort of wage.

It is not easy to get employed with the airlines although some find it easier than others. The economic climate is not at it best, airlines have gone bust putting a lot of pilots on the job market. However this is the situation now and it may not be the same in 2 years, which is about how long it'll take you to get to being ready.

Hope that helps!