PDA

View Full Version : Flying the Montreal Sightseeing Circuit?

iscooter
1st Oct 2008, 14:43
I'm a US pilot that will be flying to Les Cedres airport in a few weeks. While there, I'd like to fly the Montreal downtown sightseeing circuit (as published on the VTA).

I've never flown in the Montreal area before.

What I'm think is as follows:

Depart Cedres heading ENE, and contact Montreal Terminal. Ask them to fly between Dorval and Mirabel (along Laval shore). Once on the east side of Montreal, I'd ask for the sightseeing circuit.

I'd appreciate any advice from folks who have done this before. In particular:

1) Does the route sound reasonable (esp. since I'd rather avoid flying around to the south shore over St Hubert)?
2) What is the correct terminology to use, so the controllers will understand what I want?
3) Anything else?

Thanks,
Scott.

20driver
3rd Oct 2008, 21:33
Sounds like a reasonable plan. Montreal Controllers have always being accommodating to me. I suggest you do a quick update with an Instructor at Cedres before you take off. Depending if they are landing 6 or 24 at Dorval they will have different requirements.

20driver

PS - Good greasy truck stop across the street from Cedres. Get yourself some real fries with vinegar.

BeechNut
6th Oct 2008, 00:59
I've done this circuit many times. It is spectacular at night. However I always depart from my home field, CZBM (Bromont).

You can't just blast off and contact terminal; you need a transponder code before entering Montreal terminal airspace, you have to phone ahead to 877-YUL-CODE to get one, or simply file a flight plan.

My usual procedure is to file a flight plan but I've done it both ways. The usual entry point is the Lafontaine Tunnel.

Whether you call ahead for a code or file a flight plan, you will be assigned an ATC x-ponder code. From Cedars, climb to just under the Class C, and contact Montreal Terminal. You'll probably be asked to squawk ident. They will have you in the system already and will give you a route and altitude to the entry point; if you're unfamiliar, don't hesitate to ask for help (vectors).

From ZBM I'm usually assigned overhead St. Hubert airport, to the tunnel; then I do my circuits (usually two), and abeam St. Joseph's Oratory (you can't miss it, HUGE basilica, green dome), inform them that I want leave and tell them my destination. Again you will be assigned a route based on traffic. For Les Cedres, you will likely be directed towards the Mercier Bridge. However they do sometimes divert from the published plan. Just do what they ask. They're pretty helpful.

You will be asked on entry if you're familiar with the circuit. So you should study it carefully before. Generally, depending on traffic, you'll be placed in a stack at either 1500, 2000 or 2500 ft, and expected to exercise tight altitude control. I like 2000, low enough to see something; at 1500 in a single-engine over a big city, I'm a little uncomfortable.

For terminology, simply ask: "Montreal, Alpha Bravo Charlie for the downtown sightseeing (or Alpha Bravo Charlie for the Ville-marie circuit, they'll clue into both)" after you're radar identified.

You'll then be assigned altitude and route depending on what's going on at YUL, YMX and YHU.

When you are near the circuit you'll be handed off to YUL tower (119.9). You'll be talking to them throughout the circuit. What's neat is on the westbound leg, north of the mountain, you fly parallel to the two Rwy 24 approaches, sometimes if you're lucky you can almost be in formation with a 747! It does get busy on the frequency, so good radio work will be very much appreciated by ATC.

Enjoy, it's a nice ride!

iscooter
12th Oct 2008, 02:39
Hey folks, thanks for all the info and suggestions.

Today was a successful Ville Marie tour, from Les Cedres, over the Mercier bridge, around the tour and back the way we came. Called YUL-CODE for my squawk, and it all worked well.

Weather was perfect, smooth and clear.

Appreciate the help.

Scott.