PDA

View Full Version : fATPL vs MPL

G-BFUN
1st Oct 2008, 14:00
Hi Everyone.
Hope you are all good.
I posted a comment regarding MPL and fATPL on other threads but I think it deserves one of its own.
As an aspiring prof. pilot my concern is...

FlyBE have released an article stating that they are considering to be the first UK Airline to introduce the MPL... Is this the end of the fATPL low hour route for most of us wannabe's into airlines??

I know MPL had a bad rep from Sterling letting its guys go after 6 months but it makes perfect sense for the airline, cadets staying at airlines and learning the particular airline way from day 1. Its a win-win situation for the airline.

So, if you are starting out on an integrated or modular course to your fATPL and gain it in the next few years lets say finish 2011. Would you be totally un-employable if this MPL takes off (I know no body can answer this for sure) but I have this feeling that if FlyBE does start the MPL going and it is a success I bet every other airline will follow suit.

If that is the case is anyone with a fATPL with low hours are you even going to get a look in with the likes of FlyBE/ Ryanair etc if they are all recruiting from the MPL.

Also I am sure that the some airlines would even make the cadet to pay for the whole course so the argument that if you have a fATPL you would have paid for it and the airline just TR you isn't a valid argument I think.

Just a thought, what do you think guys and gals?

flyboymurphy
1st Oct 2008, 14:55
HI G-bfun. While no expert on the MPL , I know my concerns would be that it is type specific and maybe company specific. Therefore if you are furloughed , fired, leave, whatever, then can you get another flying job ? Easily?
Does the company have you over a barrel from day one then?
Because this could obviously only be bad for the pilot ! And ultimately how and when would you convert to a regular licence with all applicable privileges ?
There are too many unanswered questions regarding this MPL. Especially if you are putting up the cash and the financial risk is yours.
Just my two cents...

ford cortina
1st Oct 2008, 14:58
This has been done to death.... Searching finds these:

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/291455-clark-aviation-12-month-mpl-program-not-achievable.html
http://www.pprune.org/safety-crm-qa/299476-mpl.html
http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/338630-mpl-superb-system-becoming-aviator.htmlµ
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/338741-mpl-we-told-you-so.html

My two cents, the fATPL will not become obsolete, all those chief pilots who interview came the traditional route. I think it will take someone like BA to embrace it to see it succeed. Good luck

G-BFUN
1st Oct 2008, 15:02
Yes
but it is different now FlyBE have released an article stating it will be the first UK Airline to introduce it. Obviously things are starting to move on the MPL front. If it is a success with FlyBE then other UK carriers are bound to follow suit.

ford cortina
1st Oct 2008, 15:09
Different.....in what way, and which UK carriers will follow suit....
The big Jet airlines will always have lots of fATPL holders with hours on jets clamouring for jobs, Ryanair have a system that works for them, how do you know for sure you are only blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah wall here I come:ugh::ugh::ugh:

ford cortina
1st Oct 2008, 15:15
Oh my head hurts!!!!!
oh and this as well:
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/344886-flybe-start-mpl.html

ChrisLKKB
1st Oct 2008, 15:37
This is purely speculation on my part but if it proves sucsessful with Flybe, I can see the larger airlines introducing their own, taylored MPL trainning system in conjunction with certain trainning providers and it would opperate much like the old BA cadetship or a kind of modern apprentiship.

Bearing in mind the current climate and the need to be increasingly competative I would imagine some airlines might consider introducing it as a self sponsored trainning scheme and ultimately it may well be an oppotunity to reduce average flight crew wage (over several years).

If anything I see it hitting intergrated programs the hardest while the modular pilots will probably find themselves scrabbling for jobs with the piston and small turbo operators and possibly the remainder of the smaler jet operators, not too much different than it is now.

I can still see companies operating the MPL system recruiting within the industry when growth out performs expectations or if particularly attractive oppotunities open up and there is greater than expected natural wastage but I can see it has the potential for becoming the majour source of recruitment for many airlines. I don't think modular guys will find it affects them too much.

Again, that's just one scenario and it will be dependant on whether the Flybe scheme 'takes off'.

JohnRayner
1st Oct 2008, 18:04
It will be successful if they can find enough people willing to trade in future security via the medium of flexible skills, with that all important first job.

Thoughts on that, anyone?

ChrisLKKB
1st Oct 2008, 19:24
It will be successful if they can find enough people willing to trade in future security via the medium of flexible skills, with that all important first job.

Thoughts on that, anyone?When you've got people so desperate to get in a shiny wonder jet they're willing to sink themselves up to the eyeballs in debt to the tune of £90K I doubt that they'll be looking that far ahead. Besides, if it comes to moving on to another airline, possibly one that also opperates using MPL pilots the transition could be made quite simply with a short familiarisation course.

Ultimately, in time, if this proves popular then these courses could become common place and the only competition when applying for new jobs would be from other MPL pilots. It could actually a very neat solution to flight deck recruitment if adopted and standardised by a large number of airlines.