PDA

View Full Version : Flying other service's helicopters?

onlinebacon
1st Oct 2008, 12:20
Hi,

I was reading a book called "3 PARA", which is a really good read, and in it there was a Royal Marines pilot flying a Chinook. I know the only force thats British that has Chinooks is the RAF, so is it standard practice for people from the Navy or Army to fly RAF helicopters, and vice versa, or is it only on one off occasions?

Thanks

James

Karl Bamforth
1st Oct 2008, 12:29
Its not unusual for Army or Navy pilots to serve with an RAF squadron. Occasionally foreign pilots can exchange onto a squadron.

During the build up to the Falklands conflict we had 6 harriers operating from our base, one of the pilots was an American, he was most upset when he received a signal warning him that he was allowed to travel with the squadron to the Falklands but was to only observe and not take part in any action.

Occasional Aviator
1st Oct 2008, 12:31
There are a small number of pilots who serve for an exchange tour (usually 2 or 3 years) in one of the other services. This is intended to spread good practice and increase understanding between the services, but it's usually jolly good fun for the individual concerned. Quite a large proportion of Army pilots apply to transfer to the RAF after their exchange tour, but I don't think it goes the other way much.

onlinebacon
1st Oct 2008, 13:09
Oh cool :)

That looks like it could be a lot of fun :D

Does that also mean that if you join the Army Air Corps, and then do an exchange posting that you *could* get streamed fast jet? I'm thinking probably not but I'm not sure so I thought I'd ask :)

James

airborne_artist
1st Oct 2008, 13:57
Does that also mean that if you join the Army Air Corps, and then do an exchange posting that you *could* get streamed fast jet? I'm thinking probably not

You are right :ok: The RAF could not cope with an NCO with a stick and the only vote in a pointy-jet :p

SimonRG10
1st Oct 2008, 14:03
You are correct.

If you are one of the few AAC officers (NCO pilots dont do exchange tours) selected for then you are only going to do a helicopter tour.

onlinebacon
1st Oct 2008, 14:06
Aha that shouldn't be a problem, as I'm going as an officer after university :D

Still not sure what service to opt for, although I think I'll sort that out in due time :D

Can't wait! I'm well excited :D

airborne_artist
1st Oct 2008, 14:28
NCO pilots dont do exchange tours

Only because they went to do an exchange with the RAF and didn't come back!

gsa
1st Oct 2008, 14:36
If you are one of the few AAC officers (NCO pilots dont do exchange tours) selected for then you are only going to do a helicopter tour

In the past there was one AAC Officer (Badged Cavalry) on an exchange that ended up as a Hawk instructor at Leeming.

seakinger
1st Oct 2008, 15:21
and an aac officer who ended up flying jets with the RN

and an RM officer... who did the same...

CirrusF
1st Oct 2008, 15:53
You can go on exchange with other countries too, and it need not even be directly with the parallel military branch. While on a mountain ski course with the French Chasseurs Alpins, at endex we were picked up by a helicopter of the French Gendarmerie, and to my surprise it was being flown by an RN pilot. Lucky git was on a two year exchange based at Chamonix. I went skiing with him afterwards and he was crap, which cheered me up a bit.

onthebumline
1st Oct 2008, 16:44
Cirrus,

How long ago was it that this Chamonix based RN pilot picked you up? Do you know any more about this exchange like if it was a one off etc.

I am going to try any chase this up and see if such a great exchange couldn't be reinvigorated.

OTBL

Faithless
1st Oct 2008, 20:04
:= Mmmmmm What about two ex AAC-flying Herc's and the WO1 King Air Instructor flying out of Cranners to name but a few?

TheWizard
1st Oct 2008, 20:28
The thing is, the word being used is 'exchange'. It does seem a bit of a one way street for an exchange!!
(yes, I know there are a few that went to SAAvn or FAA but not as many that have come the other way!;))

Tourist
1st Oct 2008, 21:53
Thats because we keep sending them back!

Razor61
1st Oct 2008, 23:16
I started a similar thread in 2006 about RN pilots flying AAC Apaches.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/248467-navy-pilots-flying-apache-ah1.html