PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise - A320 v. B737-800

andi0277
1st Oct 2008, 10:28
Hello,

I recently had a flight from Split/Croatia and was seated next to an overwing emergency exit in an A320 (guess an older one, but have no clue about the exact version). Had the impression the there was a huge increase in engine noise a few minutes after take off. Thought about it and am wondering if the following scenario is a reasonable one for this experience:

- High take off power due to short runway
- reduce of power shortly after take off, maybe 250 kts speed limit below 10000 ft or just because of depature procedure
- increase in engine power again because the power set for departure due to the mentioned reason was lower than the setting for climb and cruise

Second question is, if it is possible that there it is generally noisier next to an A320 overwing emergency exit than in the same seat in a B737-800. Was seated there in the Boeing before, but dont remember it being as noisy as it was in the A320 this time.

Thanks for taking the time to answer,

Wish you all a blessed week and happy landings.

Rainboe
1st Oct 2008, 11:13
Perhaps the aircraft levelled off after take-off, or because it was approaching cleared altitude, reduced rate of climb and throttled back into a gentle climb only, then maybe was cleared for a full power climb again?

Noise perception varies greatly in a cabin as you change position. Sitting just in front or abeam the engines is noisy, and to the rear you get a dull roar from the exhaust. people say the Airbus cabin is slightly quieter, and I think I agree, but it does make some strange sounds! The engines sound like an electric strimmer, which is one of the two reasons the Airbus is known as the strimmer, and that hydraulic power transfer unit under the floor of the rear fuselage makes a very weird noise on the ground- I actually identified it as a barking Alsatian dog!

But at the end of the day, they are 2 peas in a pod. Same size, same engines, same fuel consumption, do the same thing, go to the same places. It's just one is flown by pilots and one runs on French software!

aviatordom
2nd Oct 2008, 17:41
I noticed this on an EZY airbus back in March. Whilst we were climbing, i suddenly heard the pitch of the engine change.

I can only assume that we were cleared to climb at a higher speed (i.e 250-300KTS or 300KTS-M 0.XX).

Nothing to worry about, as Rainboe said all different noises can be heard. I too heard the Hydraulics PTU make the funny barking sound!

tom775257
4th Oct 2008, 13:45
My guess would be the packs being turned on (air conditioning) after a packs off take-off giving a whooshing sound. Once in the climb the engine noise should be about constant (we set the thrust levers to the climb detent - gives us max climb thrust). If we are climbing generally we will have climb thrust. If we change the speed, the nose is lowered or raised, thrust will be the same.

(Ignoring climb in vertical speed).

Or what Rainboe said about level off.

andi0277
6th Oct 2008, 13:07
Thanks for your informative answers.

Yes, it did sound like an electric strimmer somehow. But suddenly like a very loud strimmer :)
I didnt realize a level off, but well, guess at some height above the clouds is hard to say whether the aircraft is levelled off or still climbing, since the noise is pitched up a bit anyway.
I heard that in flight, one thrust lever is always set a little bit more forward than the other, because of passenger comfort reasons. Could an increase in sound also be caused because both engines are running on exact the same thrust?

Am going to have a trip on an A330 soon, are there also any specific noises for this aircraft to expect?