PDA

View Full Version : Atpl Theory

dcarroll
1st Oct 2008, 08:03
Hi Guys,
Just wondering is it possible to do your own study and then go to a school like Bristol to do the exams- or is it a case that you have to sign up to the package- ie:Full time or Distance Learning.

Would really appreciate a reply, planning to persue my Atpl study but dont want to invest any money without knowing my options,
Regards,
DC

johnc21
1st Oct 2008, 09:34
Hi

I asked the same question a while back.
If you can get your hands on some 2nd hand ATPL books, its handy to get a head start and become familiar with the material.But ultimately you will need to sign up for eith the full time / distace learning and they will send you thier notes to study from.

John

DarkSoldier
1st Oct 2008, 10:42
You need to have a certain amount of hours of classroom tuition. That's why the DL courses have the brush-up weeks. So you will have to sign up to a course at some stage.

1st Oct 2008, 10:56
Johnc21 and Darksoldier are spot on. There is no way around it.

Whichever school you sign up to will also have to endorse your aplication form to the CAA when you apply to take the exams.

Johnc21's advise is the only way you can get a head-start and hold onto your money for a bit.

Good luck!

Obs cop
2nd Oct 2008, 15:49
Guys,

Distance learning for ATPL's must include 650 hours of study of which at least 10% must be classroom based with your distance learning provider.

The proof of your 650 hours study is generally through completion of progress tests with a particular provider, so don't expect to do your own study, sign up with a registered school one day and do the exams the next.

The schools have to authorise and submit your exam application and as your results affect their pass rates, you can be damn sure they won't put you in for the exams until you have shown them you won't screw up.

Likewise the distance learning schools will provide you with notes/books from which to study, so don't go buying lots of expensive books only to find you receive a shiny new set when you sign up for the course! Depending on the books that would waste £500-£650 if you bought them new.

The best and cheapest start IMHO is to re-learn your PPL stuff as you will be surprised just how much airlaw, met etc. you have forgotten. If you can get hold of some cheap used ATPL notes then fine, but without an organised study plan (another useful part provided by the training provider), the sheer volume and complexity can seem overwhelming, hence my suggestion above.

Regards,

Obs