PDA

View Full Version : Kigali Rwanda

mudworm
30th Sep 2008, 13:57
Got a possible trip to HRYR, Kigali Rwanda in early 2009 with a GV.

ANy info? Hotels? Security? places to avoid?:eek::eek::eek:

TX

Farrell
30th Sep 2008, 14:31
Kigali City Official Website >> Travellers’ Tips (http://www.kigalicity.gov.rw/spip.php?article92)

The biggest pain is that there are no credit card facilities in most places.
Dollars.

It's not as dangerous as you may think. Just do what you would usually do in any third world country. Be sensible.

Farrell

WhinerLiner
30th Sep 2008, 16:33
Nice place. You'll be impressed.

MungoP
30th Sep 2008, 21:57
Amazingly Rwanda and Burundi always seemed to me to be the only to countries in Africa on the upward slope.. in spite of the horrific war back in the 90's...
people seemed to care about getting the place back in shape... Always stayed at Hotel Chez Lando... nice little brick bungalows... quite smart and reasonable prices/food...
As mentioned.. take dollars and especially for handling and fuel make sure that you have $100 bills plus smaller stuff ( they'll never have change ) and most importantly the dollar bills must not be older than 2002 ... (haven't been there for a couple of years so that may now be 2004 ! ) Anyway... newer the better...

CJ750
1st Oct 2008, 04:58
Kigali is a great place. very clean. Take dollars cash . Do not need a handler. Landing fees are right next to the apron as you enter the terminal. Quite reasonable. Make sure about fuel. Hotels are ok but there is one , Novotel i think that does not have aircon's. Otherwise not a bad place at all. If you are there long enough try and plan to go and see the Gorillas in the mountains. A day trip i believe.

B190
1st Oct 2008, 05:46
Was there a few months back.Not a bad place.Stayed at the Des Mille Collines hotel.Same one as in the the movie.Not bad ,just make sure you ask for a working aircon. Handling at the airport was very good for africa.

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Oct 2008, 10:55
Le Cactus for OK pizza and a great view.

Cue Ball
1st Oct 2008, 11:45
Spent quite a bit of time in Kigali a few years back, stayed in the Novotel and Des Mille Collines, they were not bad at all. Was there at the beginning of 2007 on a charter and stayed at the Serena hotel, which is very close to the Des Mille Collines (walking distance). This is definately the best hotel in Rwanda by far in my opinion and is comparable with 1st world standards so try stay there. A visit to the genocide museum is very interesting, you can find out about the history of the country right back to the colonial times.
As for dining there is an indian restaurant ( can't remember the name but the hotel staff and taxi drivers will know) which has a very nice atmosphere and superb food. Take cash dollars as mentioned in previous posts and look forward to your trip, Kigali is definately one of the better places in africa to visit