PDA

View Full Version : Part 61 flying school.

Scottishflyer182
29th Sep 2008, 21:19
Hi All,

I found an excellent and friendly flying school in St Petersburgh. Florida. Albert Whitted Airfield. Have done all my TSA approval and asked Albert whitted for an I-20 form for my Visa. Only to discover that there not a Part 141 school. :{

Is there any way I can use this shcool?? or do I need to contact the TSA and change schools?:ugh: This is not the fault of Albert whitted I wrongly presumed they where a part 141 training school.

Your comments would be appreciated.

SF

IO540
30th Sep 2008, 06:04
This topic has been done to death here recently, and while there are some grey areas (I recall that U.S. law requires a visa only for training exceeding 18hrs/week) I don't think there is any legal way you can do this if you are doing the training which requires the TSA approval i.e. a PPL, IR, ME.

You could get away with it if the school is willing to play ball, and many have in past years, but the regime has been tightened and there are checks on the schools, etc. When I was playing around in this stuff, 2004-2007, I found that most U.S. schools are so busy they are barely willing to reply to emails or faxes from "foreign lands", so expecting them to go beyond the standard will be too much for most of them.

This seems to be a common trap. I fell for it too when doing my IR in the USA, and blew away about $300 to the TSA, registering with Part 61 schools, before discovering only a Part 141 school and issue the I-20 which is needed for the M1 visa.

Your best bet is to cut your losses and register (TSA) with a Part 141 school.

I have sent you an email, Scottishflyer182.