PDA

View Full Version : Finally decided to leave the RAF so........

philm938
29th Sep 2008, 17:52
Firstly, Hi all, haven't been on for a while!

OK, so I've decided to take the plunge and leave the RAF after 6 years as a Flight Ops Assistant. I've worked in Flight Planning, Mission Planning, Air Traffic, Station Ops, Squadron Ops, Area Radar as an Assistant and done Heli Ops in Iraq (they're making sure they get an Afghanistan tour out of me first too...end of Jan I go!!) So in a year or so I'll be scott free from life in a blue suit! At 25, nearly 26 and finding out there are no promotions this year I think it's the right time!

I'm going to try hard to stay in the Flight Ops sector, so would really appreciate any help/advice on courses/qualifications to take. I'd quite happily move abroad so I'm not closing doors on any suggestions.

I hope a few of you can help me with this and with any luck send me in the right direction.

Thanks for reading and I anticipate your responses,

Phil :ok:

DeltaIndiaSierraPapa
29th Sep 2008, 20:48
Personally I would stand fast and stay put where you are. Biggest mistake i made was leaving the AIr Force when I did. Not much going on the civilian front, as unlike the military, it's not WHAT you know rather WHO you know. You may not be looking at promotion this year but you at least have room to grow there. Stay put.

no sig
1st Oct 2008, 08:18
Philm938

I'd consider what DISPapa has to say carefully. Evaluate the job market in the UK airlines by speaking with them; I have a feeling you'll find recruitment in ops is low, not least of which the failure of a number of airline's of late has put a good number of well experienced staff on the market, granted a year from now it might be different but with the way things are I doubt it.

But, if you do leave the RAF I'd recommend that you complete a ICAO 7192 D3 Flight Operations Officer/Flight Dispacthers (check out Bristol Ground School for courses), then move straight on and do the FAA Aircraft Dispatchers License- with those two you'll have both European Ops and FAA operations covered.

There are those you might tell you to do it the otherway round, and with your background it probably doesn't make any difference. Read back over this forum for much more on the subject.

By the way have you considered NATS?

Out Of Trim
1st Oct 2008, 17:29
I'm ex Trade Group 9 and would also advise that you think very carefully!

The whole Aviation Industry is on a veritable knife-edge and many airlines are struggling to keep going. I would advise you to keep your options open for now.

I served for twelve years and left because of a slow promotion forecast and shortly after some were made redundant. Although I managed to find employment fairly quickly, it meant me doing a job I disliked for six years and the current salary expectation and terms and conditions are gradually being eroded.

Perhaps you would be better off staying where you are for the foreseeable future!

DeltaIndiaSierraPapa
1st Oct 2008, 19:16
On top of all that, you are only 25. How long could you possibly have in the RAF? 7-8 years? That's nothing really other than a drop in the bucket of your working life. I was in the USAF for 9 years and took the option of being RiF'd (Reduction in Force) out. ALl I saw was the lump sum payment and the civilian world. When I got out there (the civilian job market) I seriously second guessed myself. Unfortunately I had a bad leg injury that I was recovering from that precluded me from re-enlisting than and there, otherwise I would have.

Like the other posters said, there aint a whole lot going on out there. Airlines are just trying to stay afloat at the moment. What jobs they can outsource to handling agents they ARE. Not that there is anything wrong with working for a handling agent. I do and I love it. That said, the pay is probably on par or less than what you are currently on without the military perks.

j140870
1st Oct 2008, 19:54
The market is definitely awash experience right now given the recent spate of airlines that have gone under and you are probably not best place in respect of civilian experience.

Having said that there are certainly opportunities out there. Don't get too constrained about working for an airline straight away, even if that is what you want eventually. Right now I would suggest the thing you need is experience in civvy street in an aviation background. Consider positions in Business / Corporate / Fractional aviation as well as some of the service companies such as SITA | Jeppesen | LIDO .

I am ex TG9 ( some time back now ). PVR'ing was the best thing I ever did. I ended up working for a company that originally turned me down on interview 5 years prior when I first left the RAF.

Civvy street does have it's benefits, but so does the military.

plans123
5th Oct 2008, 16:00
I would listen to these wise words my young padawan, for the force is strong with them. :ok:

With the country going into recession, I know I would rather have a regular income for the meantime, than the uncertainty that some of these fine fellows currently have. Its the only thing thats keeping me in situ at the moment to be honest.

Ever heard the phrase fools jump in where angels fear to tred? :}