PDA

View Full Version : Flybe

chai ja
28th Sep 2008, 15:33
Hi All,

Am 800 TT, 500 jets..anybody know if Flybe will be recruiting for F/Os in the near future?
Last I heard was January?

Do they ask base preference or just go where they need you? Hopefully not JER or GUR!!

Cheers
CJ

G SXTY
28th Sep 2008, 19:02
No direct knowledge of when F/O recruitment will restart, but early next year sounds reasonable.

Applicants specify base preference (1st 2nd and 3rd choices) on initial application, the company will do their best to match your choice, but there are no guarantees. JER or GCI extremely unlikely unless you have Channel Islands residency. Not many volunteers for Belfast, Glasgow or Fraggle Rock, so they are all quite common intial basings.

Coffin Corner
28th Sep 2008, 19:36
Recruitment again in February.

Your base will be northern, expect Inverness.

CC

Desk-pilot
28th Sep 2008, 19:53
Not sure if it helps but traditionally you end up spending around a year trying to get a Southern base like SOU, I got Gla for 9 months, then 3 months in Brum before I got Sou. Crews were excellent to fly with everywhere though which is the upside.

Good luck,

Desk-pilot

chai ja
28th Sep 2008, 21:53
Any of you got partners? must be difficult for her to move about with you if so?
Wouldnt mind going anywhere really ....Just like the bit about being back most nights... Is that still the case as I seem to bump into a lot of BE crews in Guernsey/Jersey on nightstops!
How about Exeter, is that a popular choice?

Thanks for infos :)

Wireless
29th Sep 2008, 09:12
After a bit (3 months I think now, not 6) you can get cheaper standby tickets for friends and family to travel on the network. Shame it's not free but better than nowt.

G SXTY
29th Sep 2008, 09:37
C.I. residency required to be based at JER or GCI = shortage of suitable candidates = lots of mainland crews nightstopping in the islands. As a general rule, the bases are less popular the further north you go (nothing to do with the people, just the location).

Staff travel is indeed available after three months' service. :ok:

Maude Charlee
29th Sep 2008, 11:09
Always like to have a laugh at the newbies who get posted to BHD, immediately bid to work somewhere else even before they have set foot in NI, and then realise it is actually the best base in the network just as they get bundled out the door to some of the worst bases in the network.

Act in haste, repent at leisure. :}

G SXTY
29th Sep 2008, 12:53
I understand that for cabin crew, there's actually a queue to get into BHD. Party on . . . :ok:

Wireless
29th Sep 2008, 13:02
Really now! Why didn't I know about this :} The cabin crew at BHD are brill

5 RINGS
30th Sep 2008, 09:33
FlyBe recruits on the Q400...are you really willing to make your way onto a TP?

hollingworthp
30th Sep 2008, 11:12
FlyBe recruits on the Q400...are you really willing to make your way onto a TP?

Surely this is a flipant joke - you would seriously suggest that you would hold out for a Jet job instead of a Q400?

assymetricdrift
30th Sep 2008, 12:44
Bah, the Q400 is a beauty.

Fireboy
30th Sep 2008, 15:28
Lets face it you've got to take the first job that comes up, TP or Jet.

assymetricdrift
30th Sep 2008, 16:09
In all seriousness, I have heard next year is the earliest for when the FO recruitment is going to reopen. It is only a rumour, and might not happen.

The courses for the rest of the year are filled with 145 pilots undergoing conversions to the Q400, and at the moment, I believe that FlyBE might be overcrewed - my friend has 12 sectors rostered for next month and this seems to be quite common across a few of the bases currently.

So, in short, it will probably be next year at the earliest, but keep on watching the website.

Coffin Corner
30th Sep 2008, 18:01
assymetric

See my previous post, #3 regarding recruitment, this is fact. The hold pool is filling up slowly. PM me if you need details

assymetricdrift
1st Oct 2008, 07:07
Oh I am already there, buzzing around the skies of the UK! ;)

Grizzle
1st Oct 2008, 08:47
The courses for the rest of the year are filled with 145 pilots undergoing conversions to the Q400, and at the moment, I believe that FlyBE might be overcrewed

The courses are indeed filled with internal conversions (and the odd recruit) at the moment, however, Flybe are NOT overcrewed. The reason for the lack of F/O sectors at the moment is twofold:

1) The above mentioned training
2) Prudent winter trimming of services

The bulk of the internal conversion training will have been completed in the spring when 'normal' induction is forecast to resume.

Recruitment to the holding pool is underway at the moment but this is mainly for Captains, who are more widely available at the moment.

There are a number of F/Os in the holding pool at the moment (Q400 only) but there is also a priority supply of F/O's from the schemes with Flybes training partner schools.

To the newbies who have set their first job sights on a jet - good luck!;)

clanger32
1st Oct 2008, 10:09
Personally I think the Q400 would be an absolutely cracking first job! It's strange how when you start off in your training the 220-250 hours you finish with seem quite a lot, but when you're half way through your IR you've come to realise that it really, REALLY is next to nothing at all....you're little more than "no more a complete beginner!"

G-BFUN
1st Oct 2008, 11:41
Hi Guys & Gals
This is my first post, I have done some investigating about the MPL. My posistion is that I have my PPL but looking to go and get my fATPL. I know about Sterling and they let their MPL grads go after 6 months which is a blow.
The fact is I would love to join FlyBE as a new FO but it is making me cautious about all the posts and the article about FlyBE being the first UK airline to introduce the MPL.
Does this mean if I start my fATPL course next winter (as planned) and qualify end 2010/beg 2011 there will be no chance of getting in with FlyBE with a traditional CPL ME IR MCC low hours pilot if they have all their intake with a new MPL scheme they may offer.
This is a real big concern to me as FlyBE seem to be one of the best companies to work for and they seem keen to take on low hours pilots but I can not blame them if they have an aggrement with a FTO to train new pilots on an MPL scheme it makes perfect business sense to FlyBE. The last thing I want to do is train on the traditional route (only route now) and get my fATPL to be told at the end, FlyBE/ Ryanair etc are only taking on new pilots via their MPL schemes and be left with no airlines taking on low houred pilots?
Does anyone think this could be a reality?

expedite08
1st Oct 2008, 12:11
G-BFUN

A good point you have made at the end of your post thier about the MPL scheme being only accepted. No one has yet touched on this yet but the moment I saw the thread the exact same question popped in to my head.

The answer?? Well who knows?? It could be it could be not. Its a way I think of connecting the students more with the airline and possibly an aid to keeping them in for longer. It is a slight worry but hey ho.

Best of luck :ok:

G-BFUN
1st Oct 2008, 12:24
Hey
I know, the only thing that runs through my head is going through all the hard work to acheive your fATPL to know half way through it the new "in" thing all airlines are doing is recruiting new pilots via MPL schemes and not having a chance in hell in any airlineemployment!
Oh well I guess it is a "wait and see" game.
It would be interesting to get some replys on here from guys and gals near completing there mod courses or any people on inte courses at the moment and see what their instructors/ FTO's are saying to them at the moment on the whole job/ future job front, esp. FlyBE. :)

boeingbus2002
1st Oct 2008, 12:44
There has been a lot of debate regarding the MPL issue over last year or so. Recently, a Danish carrier reduced crew numbers. I don't know the full outcome but it was mentioned that the MPL guys were finding it hard to find employment outside due certain restrictions.

What could be a good solution is a possible "hybrid" of this.
What is the cost of training to MPL standard? There must be some cost savings for operators.
Therefore, why not utilise the pool (read ocean) of low hours pilots. They wouldn't need full MPL training since they have acquired CPL/IR already. Basic handling and awareness of navigation and instrument principles already exist.
The main cost would be the type rating and just getting the candidates up to speed with the SOPs. I may be overly simplistic here. However it seems a win win situation all round.

G-BFUN
1st Oct 2008, 13:08
Hey
That is an interesting concept on the MPL scheme I havn't considered. Instead of airlines only employing from their own MPL schemes it would make perfect sense to employ someone who has done all the training that hasn't cost them a penny as a fATPL the way it is now.
Better yet, just contradicted my own thoughts because the airlines could get the cadets to pay for the whole MPL scheme in full with a job offer at the end. Would people be willing to do this though with the risk of if a job is not on offer at the end they would be less employable? I think ppl would still strongly consider it. Therefore there would be no need to take on new fATPL guys.

I wonder within the next few years the traditional fATPL route will be no more when it comes to airlines that take on low hours pilots like FlyBE.

clanger32
1st Oct 2008, 13:29
I'm actually not too "up" on the MPL, so stand to be corrected, but I believe a key component of MPL is that it requires an airline to "sponsor" (for that, actually read "have pre-offered employment") a student prior to them starting the course.

Therefore if we follow this logic and ask the question, does it mean the death knell for fATPL, then the answer would probably be "no" as it would require all airlines to accurately forecast the number of low hour pilots they need, would necessistate all who started finishing and would remove flexibility. If I'm right here, there will always be a need for airlines to pick up more pilots as and when required...and these additions would have to come from the fATPL route.

Therefore, I'd suggest that the more likely outcome is that airline "tagged" schemes such as FlyBE, Netjets, Citiflyer etc may become based around the MPL - hugely dependant on the individual employers and their view of MPL - but there will still be a huge [majority of low hours?] market for those who study the currently more established route of fATPL.

Like I say, I don't know too much about it, so stand to be corrected on this, but my tuppenceworth.

timzsta
1st Oct 2008, 13:55
The thing to consider is what happens if you get the MPL and don't get a job? Or you get laid off very soon after starting like the Sterling guys?

You are then left with considerable debt and a near worthless license.

With an MPL you rule out any chance of at least getting some experience elsewhere and a little money coming in should you choose to do some Instructing or Air Taxi, Aerial Photography or some such. Hell you can't even take a 152 up for a jolly!

G-BFUN
1st Oct 2008, 14:03
Thats a good point! I can't see the air-taxi/ small operators paying for MPL schemes with major FTO. So yes that is something to consider.

Grizzle
1st Oct 2008, 14:05
Clanger, you are correct. The MPL is a partnership between the FTO, the company and the individual. The FTO provides stage 1-3 of the training and the student pays. Stage 4 is paid by the company (and the student) bonded for that amount. I suppose you could call it a sponsor. The idea is to train people to work at the airline, not to turn people out with a single type MPL who would then need to try and find a job outside. Flybe would not have the time nor the resources to train individuals in that way.

It would not be Flybe's intention to recruit all it's talent through MPL but an opportunity to train preselected individuals in a similar vain to it's current schemes.

In no way would it be meant to replace but only compliment the current system.

Flybe currently bond (£13.5K) for a DHC 8 Q400 type rating. They would still pay for this bit under similar arrangements which would substantially reduce the costs of getting the MPL and therefore make the challenge of finding the money less of an obstacle. This in turn would allow the airline to have access to talent not previously available.

Flybe are one of the few players who put something back in to the industry at grass root level.

If for any reason an individual decided to leave an MPL scheme, they could continue to do the rest of the phase 4 training in the traditional way and gain an FATPL.

Flybe have made many 'firsts' in the industry and would not commit to something they did not intend to follow through. Having said that it is a (small) risk which would need to be considered in the current climate in the knowledge that a licence could be gained in the traditional way if the worst came to the worst.

A 'proper' licence was mentioned previously. Not all, but most airline pilots choose to fly for their day job only and therefore require nothing other than an MPL. While most/all current airline crew have a 'proper' licence now, only a very few make use of the the other privileges. Only a minor upgrade would be required to achieve SEP status etc although only on a private basis.

G-BFUN
1st Oct 2008, 14:12
Grizzle
Can I ask why you don't think it would be in FlyBE's best interest to take on all MPL candidates?
I can see this argument with taking on very experienced Flying Instructors, or air-taxi work etc.
But when it comes to having a fATPL with min. hours either inte or mod route and an MPL Candidate... Surly they will chose the MPL all the time? What benefit does a self-sponsored fATPL candidate bring to the table?

Grizzle
1st Oct 2008, 14:17
Simple - resources! both that of the FTO and the airline.

Flybe take many recruits from many places and it would be impossible to take all MPL. There needs to be a large gene pool in any airline with the mix of experience, expertise and talent. It may be that in the future MPL is the way to go but it is really in its infancy right now.

The MPL candidates will not be in competiton with the integrated or modular students. Like the MAPS schemes they will have a job before they start training - nice feeling!

clanger32
1st Oct 2008, 16:36
Grizzle,
Thanks for the confirmation, pretty much as I thought!

GBFUN,
The major reason no airline would take all it's staff that way is because it would require them to be 100% accurate with their staff forecasting a year and a half in the future. This is because a pre-requisite of MPL is the pre-training agreement between the airline and the cadet...the airline must have 'offered' a job to the cadet before embarkation on the course. Most people that have anything to do with this game will tell you most airlines find it hard enough to predict staffing a week and a half into the future!

They would be relying on not only accurate forecasting, but nobody failing the course once they had been selected, nobody failing their medical, the industry staying 'as forecast' for the duration of the course - and you only have to look back twelve months to see how infeasible THAT is. There would have to be no delay in aircraft orders, no sudden growth that required a large influx at short notice....in short if they opted to ONLY take MPL pilots, any flexibility in A.N. Aircraft companys operating plan would be lost.

Hence, it is potentially a great method of training pilots, but the need for them to be tied means it is unlikely, IMHO, to replace fATPL entirely, or even the majority.

chai ja
1st Oct 2008, 18:20
I am not a Jet Snob. To be honest I would be more than happy flying around the UK/France in a beautiful Q400 than smallish my biz jet.
I fly Jets but that doesnt make me superior............................!!!!!!

I dont see transfering to a Q400 from a Jet a "Step Down".. Quite insulting to the boys n girls who work hard on them.

Id love to work for flybe. Be based anywhere too...
I position on them to work every week and have met a lot of the crew and I really think I would enjoy it more than where I am now.

Meh..

G-BFUN
1st Oct 2008, 23:00
Hey Clanger
Yep thats defo correct! One year they are ordering new a/c the next there not sure! I'll enter the fATPL training next year with that worry off my mind! :)

Grizzle
2nd Oct 2008, 07:20
Clanger - bang on :D

G-BFUN

Like the MAPS schemes they will have a job before they start training - nice feeling!

One year they are ordering new a/c the next there not sure! I'll enter the fATPL training next year with that worry off my mind!

Each to their own :)

Flybe are very sure. They have ordered 60 Q400s, are operating 40 now and are in receipt of a new one every 5-6 weeks. Pity to miss out perhaps.

Think about the worry (as you get towards the IR stage of training) as to how you are going to make the loan repayments (if you have one). Tends to focus the mind, but perhaps not on the priority. The idea of having the job before you start must be worth a fortune in itself. I can not imagine Flybe signing up to a contract costing them £13.5K if they were not sure if you would be needed or not - but then there was Sterling - true, but a totally different business model. Have you seen Flybe's latest results in the present challenging climate? A fair bet I would say.

Of course the FATPL route is a good choice too but it would be foolish to turn your nose up if an opportunity presented itself to have a job, pay less for the training and be worry free. You never know, Flybe might even pay you while you are doing it :ok:

5 RINGS
2nd Oct 2008, 13:07
Quote:

Don't shoot 5 RINGS

He's asking a legitimate question to the original poster who has jet time, he's just asking if he is prepared to "step down" to TPs because the guy is a jet jockey and we all know about Jet Drivers and their egos don't we?
5 RINGS drives a TP so lay off him, can't anone post on this forum any more without people jumping on top somebody at every given opportunity? You really need to get a life

Unquote.

can't put it better myself.....as a Q400 driver....that was a test question, as many jet guys would think so, and that would be a top question in an interview.

G-BFUN
4th Oct 2008, 11:29
Hey Grizzle
Thanks for the post, but I'm slightly confused because you mentioned that it would only be in FlyBE's best interest to hire MPL to supplement their employment needs and then the last post you submitted was pretty much saying they would only start MPL's if they needed the staff and FlyBE pretty much know how much staff they need.

If that is the case, surly you must agree with me that as a fresh low hours pilot either inte or mod route would not stand a chance if FlyBE have put "X" amount of ppl on their own MPL course. As you mentioned FlyBE know how much staff they need to recruit this would make it near enough impossible to get a job with them as a low hours guy wouldn't it?

Not trying to dig fault with your posts, but just very interested at what you think, as your posts are very detailed and I feel you have lots of informaiton on this topic.
:ok:

Grizzle
4th Oct 2008, 14:19
G BFUN
Sorry if I have confused you, it wasn't my intention :) and I know your not having a dig :ok:.

Every airline has an idea of its pilot requirement but cannot predict it exactly. No airline would put all of it's eggs in one basket either.

For that reason alone Flybe will probably start x number of students in their current schemes, x number MPL and take x number of external FATPL entries, as at present, to fulfill their requirement. This means that will most likely have positions for all of those in which they have made an investment and hopefully positions for others too.

If they planned to do all MPL and the training school went bust then.......what next?

Flybe appear to have a policy of extracting their recruits from all across the board and I would imagine they will continue to do so.

Like it or not, pre selected integrated students, who are a known quantity, are less of a training risk - but this has been discussed elsewhere.

corklad
6th Oct 2008, 21:49
I fly the Q-400 and it a fantastic airplane. Cockpit is more advanced than most other jets out there (Head Up Display is an option in this aircraft). The thing can "turn on a dime" and TAS is often 360 or more (Thats fast for a turbo-prop). While you can't compare it to a 737 NG its better than a barbie-jet anyday of the week!!

Wireless
7th Oct 2008, 07:33
It's a neat aeroplane. A bit flimsy feeling perhaps with how it's finished out (trim etc) but great fun to be on. It's bloody fast for a TP. Also a bit of a cheeky little dancer to land so it provides hours of fun during a winters day flying into Windy Leeds or a Snowy Glasgow.

Buttie Box
25th Oct 2008, 22:21
Well, the application form's in. A couple of questions for the guys in flyBE please.

How long is it on average between submitting an application and being contacted for selection? I realise this will vary with circumstances and requirements.

Is the EDI base full for DE captains on the Q400?

All the best

BB

assymetricdrift
27th Oct 2008, 13:56
Quote: It's a neat aeroplane. A bit flimsy feeling perhaps with how it's finished out (trim etc) but great fun to be on. It's bloody fast for a TP. Also a bit of a cheeky little dancer to land so it provides hours of fun during a winters day flying into Windy Leeds or a Snowy Glasgow.

It is a blighter to land at the best of times. Add a 10-15kt crosswind and a bit of chop on the approach and it becomes challenging and entertaining at the same time. But all in all, good fun to fly.

chai ja
29th Oct 2008, 23:57
Any FO recruitment going on at all?

S44
30th Oct 2008, 13:05
Is there a base at ABZ now?... According to PPJN there is

nick14
30th Oct 2008, 13:07
Check their website,

No FO recruitment untill end of 08 for 09 TR courses

You can still do the application, I have

N

Coffin Corner
30th Oct 2008, 13:08
No recruitment till Feb, and yes there's a base at ABZ

flyingcamel
4th Nov 2008, 14:11
I think the powers that be are still waiting to see if all the 145 crew's are going to stay before or after they are converted onto the Q400.

Like several have already said, Q400 is a great aircraft to cut your teeth on after limping around in some 30 year old senecas. Good flying as well. As a new joiner don't be afraid of the Northern bases as they have some fun routes. I'm GLA based and we do Paris and Frankfurt runs. The Belfast route is a nice challenge for a newbie as it's all over rather quickly. Much like the Exeter-Guernsey-Jersey love triangle.

Rumour has it that we may have got the contract for Aberdeen-Skatsta for the oilys that Flightline lost recently. We will have to see about that. The prospect of whistling past the lighthouse in a Q400 doesn't fill some of our experienced captains with delight though!

All in all a great bunch for a first job. Hope FO recruitment opens up soon.

As an aside for the last 3 months my roster has been in the region of 40-50 block hours per month. Although I have had blocks of 28 days where it has been 80ish, but then followed with lots of standby. Welcome to the winter I guess!

m0.92
4th Nov 2008, 18:59
Hello to all, i have just under 2200hrs of which 1900hrs are on citations(900hrs command) both are less than 10tonnes, i know i am 300hrs shy of there DEC but was wondering would it be worth putting in for the DEC position as i am looking or a change of scenery....

Coffin Corner
4th Nov 2008, 20:07
If you're shy of the hours then no, I can't imagine they'd make exception for you, but then aviation is a funny ol' game, you have to be in it to win it, so there is no harm in trying. I am not sure how their online application system works, it may "throw you out" of applying for DEC due to your lack of hours. Again, what have you got to lose?
My opinion is I guess you would have to join as an F/O, do the obligatory 500hrs on type with flybe before being considered.

CC