PDA

View Full Version : Photography in flight

MELLYMELL
26th Sep 2008, 15:59
Hi
I am flying to Singapore and on to Lombok(Indonesia) in October, flying Singapore and Silk Air.Can anyone tell me if photography is pemitted on board,i have point and shoot Fuji A600 and Sony camcorder.
Thanks in advance MELVYN.

lcarus
28th Sep 2008, 22:08
From personal experience I've never had any trouble taking shots with my DSLR but of course only once the cabin crew have been cleared to leave their seats. I wouldn't really want to take a shot before as the crew are sat in their seats for good reason.

If you are going to take a shot in flight your point and shoot will be ok but to get good pics you need a polariser on your lens to remove cabin reflections.

Good luck with your shots but always make sure to play by the rules! :)

chiglet
28th Sep 2008, 22:32
IF by any chance you fly over Belgium, and you take "photographs from the aeroplane, you will be arrested"
This is from the Belgian AIP [a "document of Belgian Air Law"]. How they would enforce it, escapes me for the moment....:ugh:
Should not be a problem, but if you are told to stop...STOP :ok:
watp,iktch

udachi moya
29th Sep 2008, 10:09
How many pictures are published on the internet of aircraft, on the ground, in the air, from the air, air to air etc etc.
I fly in and out of Almaty, Kazakhstan, and have taken pics of my "own" aircraft in various positions, airports, etc but all the time, you get some numpty security guard saying "no no pictures, security". I always put my camera away to avoid incidents.... however............ a short story here about a sort of funny incident in GUW......
I took a photo of my aircraft, on the ramp during our turn-round and was promptly marched off to the security office, cutting the story short, I used their internet connection to show how many million photos there were available in the public domain - they were amazed and astounded, they now don't mind about photos so long as you don't point your camera at any fence or security control post......
Just be sensible and you should get some nice pictures.

Hey Chiglet - I wonder if the Belgiums use the internet to research for prosecutions over air photos of EBBR and the countryside.... ooh look a windmill :hmm:

K.Whyjelly
29th Sep 2008, 13:16
IF by any chance you fly over Belgium, and you take "photographs from the aeroplane, you will be arrested"
This is from the Belgian AIP [a "document of Belgian Air Law"]. How they would enforce it, escapes me for the moment....:ugh:
Should not be a problem, but if you are told to stop...STOP :ok:
watp,iktch

Likewise when flying over Russia...............from our manual of what to do and what not to do in/over Russia

The Russian AIP states that no Photographs should be take from
an aircraft at any time whilst in Russian Federation airspace.

What my little camera can pick up from 40000 or 41000ft that will be of interest to MI5 or MI6 goodness only knows!!!!!!!!!!

deltayankee
29th Sep 2008, 13:38
Used to be banned in Italy too, and maybe still is, though the rule was rarely enforced. To take aerial pictures a photographer had to have a special permit and even glider pilots had to hand in their film rolls to the air force after competitions (this was in the days when you proved you'd completed a task by photographing landmarks).

Bit pointless today when you can see it all on GoogleEarth anyway.