PDA

View Full Version : RAAF Lateral Recruitment Program

moosemaster
26th Sep 2008, 08:31
As a "pom" LM thinking of going "down under", does anyone have any helpful advice on the program please?

I've read the bumf, and seen the forms, but is it any different to the RAF?

Is there anything I can do in advance to make it go smoother?

Ta in advance.

Trumpet_trousers
26th Sep 2008, 09:02
Blimey, has the new boy got on your t*ts already? That didn't take long... :E

BEagle
26th Sep 2008, 15:18
You are a wicked fellow, Trumpet T!

So, moosemaster, does El Jefe know that you're thinking of jumping ship? Cost you mucho dinero for my silence if he doesn't......:E
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

TT - regards to the curry chum in Bremen. Has he got another Bollywood movie yet......:rolleyes:??

c130jbloke
26th Sep 2008, 17:54
Why not trying to talk to one of the guys who has done LONGLOOK ??

HeadSouth
26th Sep 2008, 21:06
I moved over to Adelaide last year and I love it here.

Is RAAF any different to the RAF, thankfully yes! There remains a culture in the RAAF that everyone is expected to do their jobs to their best ability.

The RAAF knows that its to look after the workforce so that it doesn't walk out of the door. (I know that anyone reading this in Oz may disagree but it is only when you have experienced the apathy in the lords & masters of the RAF that you will understand what I mean)

In the sense of day to day working it is very easy to move from RAF to RAAF, some things are differrent but it's like exchanging one bluesuit for another.

I take it that you have seen the defencejobs.gov.au website?

There is a link on there for lateral recruits and an email address. I would advise that you contact Sgt Tanya Horsburgh on that email and let her know your Quals to make sure that they are recruiting at the moment.

The RAAF makes the move to OZ very easy

PM me if you would like any more info

HS

Charlie Luncher
27th Sep 2008, 00:01
Tried to link into a thread started a while back but never was much good a nerdy EW type stuff, we have taken on some newbies who keep telling me they like it within the last year. PM if you wish 30c today for the AFL final I am guessing cold beer and many many pies:D
Charlie sends

bugger did not work search under Charlie Luncher and it will come up, oh and it is POHM respect the monarch old man.

Yeller_Gait
27th Sep 2008, 09:51
bugger did not work search under Charlie Luncher and it will come up.

You must have started on the beers early today, Charlie, to come up with a sentence like that.

Watched the AFL final today with a house full of locals down near Brighton Beach, the commentary and banter was far more entertaining than the match, but the BBQ was good, the beer cold and the temperature was 31 :)

Y_G

Like This - Do That
27th Sep 2008, 10:11
Also might be worth looking over Transferring to the Australian Army (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=30946.html) over at ARRSE - obviously not Ronnie RAAFie in nature but much (I'm sure) in common.

'Luck!

moosemaster
27th Sep 2008, 11:09
No, the new guy is working out quite well thanks TT,

and no BEagle, El Jefe doesn't know, so I might need to be buying you that beer. :ugh:

No, with the latest news reports regarding my current projects future, I figure it can't do any harm to explore the alternatives/

I've been in touch with Tanya and gotten the paperwork already HeadSouth, I just thought I'd get some feedback on the process before I dip my toe in the water.

Anyone got any "good" answers to the "Why do you want to join the RAAF and become an Australian?" questions.

I don't think "Because the RAF was crap and UK is going down the pan!" would go down too well.:8

BEagle
27th Sep 2008, 11:30
moosemaster, getting in touch with Tanya will put a smile on her face.....:ooh:

As for your current program, rumour has it that there's a bitchfest between Toolooze and Seville brewing as Les Grenouilles are getting pi**ed off with Maņana-land mentality. But the engine has been revving its nuts off over at Tabfield, so Snoopy-sans-dick should be flying with it soon.

Not Long Here
27th Sep 2008, 12:37
YG,

You have obviously managed to make the move to the West Island. Glad it worked out for you, better than the UK.

For the Moosemaster -"Because the RAF was crap and UK is going down the pan!"
This was exactly what I said when I was interviewed for the RNZAF 'cos it leads into why the country and Air Force you are applying for still have the qualities that you wish to uphold/follow/be part of etc

moosemaster
29th Sep 2008, 05:44
Cheers for the info guys.

D-IFF. It was that exact C-17 bloke having "jumped" that put the idea into my head to look into it in the first place.

Having served with him before I would love to get in touch and find out his views and experiences. Do you by any chance have any contact details for him? I have been away from blighty for a while and have lost touch.

BEagle. Yes, the current project has hit some turbulence, not least some caused by my parent company continually "re-arranging" folk. It doesn't matter where they put them, they still have the same number of managers vs workers.

HeadSouth
30th Sep 2008, 08:07
Moosemaster

I am actually meeting up with the C 17 LM who came out this year on Thursday. If you want PM your email to me & I will pass it on to him. I am sure he will be willing to help.

Cheers HS

Trumpet_trousers
30th Sep 2008, 12:04
who came out this year - that explains a lot!! :E

Beermonkey
30th Sep 2008, 16:08
Hey down-under dudes.

Anyone have any info regarding FJ slots the RAAF maybe looking to fill in the next FY?

Cheers!

minigundiplomat
30th Sep 2008, 21:29
You all appear to be leaving and re joining one Air Force or another.

What does that tell ya ?

voodoo21
17th Jan 2009, 19:03
Looks to me like the program is taking QFIs only for fast jet. Does anyone know if the Aussies are accepting guys direct to an OPS Sqn?

Captain Sand Dune
17th Jan 2009, 19:17
Except in rare cases (rare enough that I've not heard of them!) lateral pilot recruits will do a QFI tour before going to an operational unit.

wall-e
22nd Jun 2009, 12:06
IFF

do you think there will be some position left for lateral recruitment (VC10 PIC) in 2010?

Thanks

L J R
22nd Jun 2009, 22:51
But just because you are Gods Gift to RAF AAR, does not necessarily mean that RAAF want you, as there is a lot of talent existing in the RAAF.

SaddamsLoveChild
23rd Jun 2009, 06:34
Serving with a couple of aussies in a forlorn and sandy place at present, I expressed an interest in Lateral Transfer as I am nearing an option point and was told that it is trade and experience specific. Spoke direct with the recruiters in Canberra and they are still recruiting but it is very specific. At present they are also after operations officers as well as ATC and fighter controllers - or whatever they call themselves at the moment (ABM's - All About Me's)

Mrs SLC and I are considering it and for the golden handshake, new life etc it makes alot of sense for a minimum ROS of 5 yrs and Aussie citizenship without having to commit a crime and be sent on a prison ship............

My suggestion is press to test, keep pressing and see what happens. Without Harrier and with just Afghanistan life is going to be a little torrid on the CAS train to Glasgow.

Charlie Luncher
23rd Jun 2009, 09:28
Recruitment has died down due to economic slowdown and locals coming back/not leaving all caused by Labo(u)r government, bring back Johnny!
Coming up to 7 years in the colonies and getting well looked after, grass is not greener just different grass. Specific trades will always be looked at in all arms of the ADF. They got a little burnt with too many AD Fcs and no aircraft yet but it is coming - honest. Any help I can be just Pm.
Charlie sends

wall-e
23rd Jun 2009, 14:49
... and thanks to who posts useful infos! I'll keep waiting trying to get Airbus experience on my logbook then!

wall-e
29th Jun 2009, 14:56
If you want to share!
What was you previous experience and what are you currently doing (Base/SQN)? What kind of future are you willing to reach in the RAAF or planning one day maybe to get out and join a similar job in an other enviroment?

wall-e
3rd Jul 2009, 06:23
Thanks for you reply M9

I'll PM a couple of question! Thanks

bumba
21st Jan 2010, 10:46
... any latest on RAAF lateral recruitment?

bbengleking
23rd Sep 2011, 23:26
can anyone offer me help. I'm in the us navy and looking at the lateral recruitment to the ADF. Need some help in getting in touch with them. Already been to the website but was hoping to call them or talk to a recruiter directly. Currently an e5 air traffic controller. Any help would be appreciated.