PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Handling

Skipness One Echo
25th Sep 2008, 19:33
Fly BA quite a lot and am still a bit disappointed the helpful BA staff in the regions are a thing of the past, however I was wondering how many stations still self hanlde outside the UK? I know Paris CDG was outsourced to a handler a few years back but I believe BA still self handle in Dusseldorf.
In the US there are BA check in staff and I guess they are real BA as opposed to handling agents. Anyone advise?

Cheers guys!

The96er
25th Sep 2008, 19:41
"the helpful BA staff" - as opposed to the unhelpful handling agent staff !! :rolleyes:

aex
26th Sep 2008, 14:40
In Paris the BA staff have transferred to Servisair a few years back (although Europe Handling do the ramp). In JFK there is BA staff for passenger assistance and ramp supervision but about 2 years ago started sub contracting the ramp handling services to Evergreen Eagle.

In Milan they used to have their own staff but then transferred for about 2 years to Globeground keeping ramp with SEA Handling and then transferred ramp and passenger handling to ATA Handling.

I heard that in Cape Town BA stopped using Equity Handling for ramp handling and its passenger handling staff transferred to Swissport along with the ramp handling contract.

Don't know about the remaining airports. However, in most airports BA have tried building long term agreements with the ground handling agent or airline. Usually the staff would transfer to the new company, although not always the case.

andi_uk
27th Sep 2008, 03:57
In London City Airport, BA is handles by KLM Ground Services!
At least BA in London should be handles by themselves, all the airlines in their home country, especially in the main city, have their staff, and from LCY BA has quite a few routes...... :{:ugh::{:ugh::{:ugh::{:ugh::{

HZ123
28th Sep 2008, 08:30
Nearly all airports that BA operate are outsourced. This in the main is exactly what all airlines do. Off hand LHR, LGW, JFK and a few other ports of call retain some BA staff responsibilities. JFK ramp staff have been outsourced long before Evergreen came on the scene and it is more than likely they are due to be replaced anytime now. Ground Handling Companys (GHA's) are changed every couple of years to which one offers the best deal.

In general most airports and countrys only have a few GHA's as most of there management will tell you that there is very little profit to be made out of this activity.

It is far more expensive to retain Passenger / Ground handling services in house as part of that airline. It is also difficult to justify that the in house service operates any more efficiently and cost effectively. I would imagine that BA will outsource LGW BA staff in the next few years and it will eventually happen in JFK.