PDA

View Full Version : African Flying, drunk pilot in Uganda

WestAfricaDash8
25th Sep 2008, 14:28
A 2-pilot airplane from Chad landed in Entebbe 5 nights ago. The pilot, an Ukrainian national, had no license and was drunk! During taxi-in his tail collided with an A310 wingtip damaging both airplanes. The prop airplane lost about 5 inches of the vertical stabilizer. The A310 was full of United Nations peacekeepers. One of the passengers of the prop airplane said that the pilot even drank vodka during the flight and that the flight was terrible. This man instead of being took to jail was let go I assume after bribing some of the officers at the airport. VIVA AFRICA. These stupid and corrupted Ugandans are as criminals as the pilot they let go! Had this incident occur in Europe with Ugandans pilots, they would probably be in the electric chair by now--there is no dead penalty in Europe-- but being African and drunk and no license was enough for the Europeans to have reinstated the dead penalty. I am so sorry for those who have to work in Africa. Anything you hear about Africa is true, is sad and it will never change. And when I say Africa it is ALL Africa. A friend of mine flies a 737-8 for AMC Egypt. Well the pilots and cabin crew contracts -verbal only- allow them to smoke a cigarette per leg on flights to Europe. They usually consist of one domestic stop within Egypt, CGD and back to Cairo. The lounge? Well the cockpit. Africa is Africa period!

Blues&twos
25th Sep 2008, 15:08
Is that all copied directly from the Ugandan Civil Aviation Authority incident report?

White Knight
25th Sep 2008, 16:24
Can't say this is news.... Used to see Russian crews wandering out to the flightline clutching 6 packs of Castle Lager in Maputo and Beira..

TIA:ok:

JW411
25th Sep 2008, 16:35
My last company (before I retired) had a couple of aircraft which were built east of the Berlin Wall and which were crewed by Ukrainians.

They were lovely chaps but when it came to meeting in the pub, they made the average Rab Nesbit look like a Boy Scout.

icarus sun
25th Sep 2008, 16:39
Flying those old russian aircraft,the only way to stay sane is to drink inflight.:ok:

captplaystation
25th Sep 2008, 16:41
If you go back just 8 yrs a certain Italian charter company was code sharing on a route to Kiev using Italian cc & Ukranian A/C & FD.
No sooner was the gear up than the call bell would go with requests for flight-deck drinks. . . . & I mean " drinks". After a couple of refusals the guys just came back out and helped themselves to the bar, & no, it wasn't for consumption in the bar /hotel or at home afterwards, this was in-flight "refreshments" folks .This, I assure you ,is not urban myth, this is the way these guys operated. Then again, this company had an Italian Capt who was doing (and it was widely known ) the same, but hey , lets not get " Paranoid" & blue things up out of proportion.

RICCARDOVOLANTE
25th Sep 2008, 16:57
captplaystation please could you tell me the name of the Italian company ?
Best Regards
Riccardo Volante

Midland 331
25th Sep 2008, 17:05
A mate used to work in provincial Azerbaijan, and there was a regular freighter to DXB that took the odd passenger.

He told of serious drinking on the flight deck.

Yes, the crew were Russian...

Avman
25th Sep 2008, 21:00
captplaystation please could you tell me the name of the Italian company ?
Best Regards
Riccardo Volante

He has, with two big clues in the very last sentence :eek:

captplaystation
25th Sep 2008, 21:44
You got it in 1.

rodthesod
25th Sep 2008, 22:03
We wud like to tank you fo de A310 full of United Nations peacekeepers - dey was deelishus.

son of Idi

Brenoch
25th Sep 2008, 23:09
Me being slightly dim whitted also managed to figure out the company just by reading the post once. Round of applause for me... :D

Peow Peow
26th Sep 2008, 01:05
It was a Let 410, DRC registered, that tried to taxi under the A310 wing. :D
These guys definitely enjoy a drink or two, and judging by the alcohol fumes they were giving off one morning in Bunia not so long ago, they like to get a nice early start. :}

I heard they tried to do a quick DYI repair job with the old trusty leatherman and some 100mph tape, but the Ugandan CAA were having none of it, and wisely suggested they should actually replace the effected tail fin before escaping back to the DRC.

Wyle E Coyote
26th Sep 2008, 01:26
Hell, if it wasn't for a few stiff drinks (and the odd bottle of mouthwash when the vodka ran out) I never would have survived there for so long.

A lesson for all I guess. Look up when taxying? ;)

jetpet
26th Sep 2008, 05:43
Mr Dash guy....At no point am i going to condone flying whilst drunk and whatever the incident at Entebbe...it is regrettable. however it is not your place to feel sorry for us who fly in Africa....the number of Europeans who "dash" over to Africa to get quick jobs then after getting experience...start trash talking about the place. Most of the incidents involving Ukaranian crew happen in countries that don't have a serious civil Aviation Authority setup or have just come out of civil war...They are some of us who work our ass off to make sure that such incidents don't happen in our countries and if they do, appropriate action and eventually and make a change in Africa.....Africa will change and of course with no help from you or your friend so please...!!!!:mad:

airman13
26th Sep 2008, 08:15
I knew it is permitted to have a drink just 8 meters before get on a plane, but to drink whilst on duty, in cockpit, wow......someone told it happened due to airplanes age, so what about whisky or cognac age?????

weido_salt
26th Sep 2008, 08:26
Not only in Africa

In a bar, that over looks a tarmac, in Western Europe a few years ago and spotted what were obviously Eastern Block crew drinking up big time. Thought well obviously had a good day and finishing off with an after landing drink. Nothing wrong with that I through and better than having the landing drink in the a/c, even on the ground.

Oh no. 20 minutes later the same morons were walking out to the aircraft (IL76). The taxing of the aircraft out to the holding point was something to behold and any F1 boss would have sat up and taken notice.

Yes I was probably guilty too in my own way for not notifying the authorities. If I had had a telephone number quickly to hand I would have.

helldog
26th Sep 2008, 09:21
Those crazy Russians..... I used to drink with them in the Four Turkeys in Entebbe, they would have a 0700 departure and they would leave the bar at 0200 pissed as farts with more alcohol and a couple of chicks.

I belive Air France until a few years ago allowed the pilots a glass of wine with their lunch on flights. This is a well known story but I have to say I dont know if it is just a myth or not.

Soap Box Cowboy
26th Sep 2008, 14:46
Yes I do recall hearing about a strict 8 meters bottle to Throttle rule, therefore it is not permited to drink on the Let 410 since it's not long enough :=

But an IL-76, AN-12 or TU-154 is another matter :E

Wonder if the AN-24/26/32 qualify too :confused:

Farmer 1
26th Sep 2008, 18:00
Yes I do recall hearing about a strict 8 meters bottle to Throttle rule,

I think that's quite far enough, personally.