PDA

View Full Version : Descent Planning/Profile Awareness: 737NG

Callsign Kilo
25th Sep 2008, 09:26
Hi guys, I'm sure this question has been asked before, however I'm looking for answers from those flying the varients of the NG if possible (although I'm certain that methods used on other types are similar).

At the moment, I descend the aircraft using a variety of methods. I'm fairly new to type (and turbofans for that matter) so here goes. Using the fairly standard '3 x altitude' + 10nm to slow above FL100 I combine a mixture of track miles from the Progress Page or '3 x distance' from the PFD, if the ILS DME is in range on a straight in approach, and cross check with altitude. I have also been persuaded to use the Descent Page more and use what valuable information it has to offer. To date, I have really only been using this when flying a NPA.

Other things which I obviously tend to look for is aircraft mass and wind direction and strength when descending. However does anyone have a few tips in this department? Currently, for example, if I'm heavy and have a T/W below FL100 I tend to add between an extra 5-10nm and consider bringing out flaps earlier in order to stabilise and slow down.

Many thanks, CK

lederhosen
25th Sep 2008, 11:38
Main points already well covered by SpamCanDriver. I would add that the FMC is only as good as the data you put in.

Obviously if for example you have built in a long transition the descent point may not match what you actually fly. If you regularly fly an approach then you can tweak the heights to match what you can most times expect.

An example lots of people will be familiar with is the Lunik 1P in Palma. If you put Muros after Lunik (but don't execute) it will calculate the height you need to be at Lunik. You can erase and then overwrite the height at Lunik and get a more realistic profile, avoiding the need for drag if you get the direct.

If you are unfamiliar with an approach the old 30 mile ring in the fix page equates to 250 knots at 10000. This will rarely equate to 30 track miles, but it is a good point for a common sense check as to where you are on profile.