PDA

View Full Version : BBC: Air Medics

tourismkelly
24th Sep 2008, 22:21
Hello,

Sorry to bother you all, any idea when the BBC are planning to screen Air Medics?

P3iGhr-8E-8
Thank you,

Kel

Barshifter
26th Sep 2008, 12:16
SilsoeSid

Yes late October is what I was told when I asked at the GNAA Carlisle unit recently.

Should be good.What with Helicopter Heroes just finishing it will be interesting to see how both operations compare especially with them both being BBC based productions.Unlike HH we should see a bit of variety on the aircraft front as all three (Explorer,Bolkow,Dauphin)helicopters have been used for the series.

GNAAS-PR
6th Oct 2008, 16:36
Air Medics is due to air on BBC 1, Friday 31st October at 8.30pm for 30 mins. It will run for 8 consecutive weeks (Fridays at 8.30pm). There is also a 1 hour special which has yet to be scheduled.

I hope this is of some help!

KNIEVEL77
6th Oct 2008, 18:14
Wish i'd known about this programme as being a Television Sound Recordist I could have maybe got some work from them.......having said that if it was an independent production they probably didn't use one to save money!

Fortyodd2
7th Oct 2008, 08:04
Knievel - don't get too upset mate. If it's like all the other Police/AAmb programmes then all of the aircraft will sound like a Jet Ranger anyway....... and you'll get to hear the skidding and crashing cars!!:ugh:

telecat
7th Oct 2008, 11:48
Wonder which Trial that was at? Still that explains why the Cameras were already there when YAA dropped in to assist the Great North Dauphin!!

Barshifter
7th Oct 2008, 17:39
"Still that explains why the Cameras were already there when YAA dropped in to assist the Great North Dauphin!!"

If thats the 3 biker incident in North Yorks your refering to.The cameras were on board the YAA and not the GNAA. "Flaxton" should be able to confirm this.

Flaxton Flyer
9th Oct 2008, 08:52
Yes that's correct Barshifter, it was "our" crew filming the 3-biker incident. I believe that the GNAA filming was started (and maybe completed) in 2007. It happened to co-incide with the filming of the first YAA series which got out on air first (because we were better looking than the GNAA crew apparantly...) so the GNAA was held back for future transmission.

The YAA second series is currently being re-edited for evening transmission for later this year, so given that the GNAA series is due out end of October, I would imagine it will probably follow more or less straight on from that.

The YAA series has been well-received again, and has been re-commissioned for a further 20 programmes for next year, subject to YAS and YAA agreement.

Trauma overload!

ManOnTheSticks
9th Oct 2008, 09:21
I have just seen that the East Anglian HEMS unit has a series on the National Geographic channel (Ch 526 for sky users) The next two episodes are due tonight/tomorrow morning at 12am.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before:ok:

Barshifter
13th Oct 2008, 15:41
Flaxton

"because we were better looking than the GNAA crew apparently..."

The Crew do have their moments

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/Barshifter/bikinicopterW.jpg

Bertie Thruster
13th Oct 2008, 16:15
Can you do it again with more pixels please!:8

KNIEVEL77
13th Oct 2008, 17:36
well if any of these recommisioned programmes need a sound recordist with helicopter experience then let me know......please!

Flaxton Flyer
14th Oct 2008, 13:41
Damn! I need to see about a transfer...:ok:

Barshifter
14th Oct 2008, 18:49
Flaxton

"Damn! I need to see about a transfer"

Im sure you could be tempted:}

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/41235/2184754770034109588S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2184754770034109588HHsLce)

Darren999
16th Oct 2008, 15:45
Fantastic!!! Any Vacancies!!! Nice shot!!! :ok:

Mgoid
18th Oct 2008, 19:29
meant to be 31st oct.
has been cancelled by the beeb, thankfully

Barshifter
19th Oct 2008, 19:00
Maybe GNAAS-PR can shed some light on the mystery?

telecat
22nd Oct 2008, 08:39
It is on the BBC EPG for freeview for Tonight and my HUMAX has got a Series link for the rest of the series so it looks like "lift off" :uhoh:(Sorry).

Special 25
22nd Oct 2008, 20:00
Great to see G-HEMS at work again - I love that machine !!! Nice new colours as well.

Some of the narration was a bit much, but certainly an interesting program. Well done guys

Senior Pilot
22nd Oct 2008, 20:04
Someone should have avoided mentioning the "Golden Hour" to the producer: talk about obsessed!

Excellent aerial cinematography by Castle Air :ok:

Whirlygig
22nd Oct 2008, 20:09
Hey Splot, I'm glad I wasn't the only one irritated by the constant countdown! ;)

Stunning photography over the Fells! :ok:

Daft girly-whirly question alert .....

Would the 109 have been less likely to sink into the ground if it had had skids instead of wheels and if so, why use a 109 - wouldn't that be an occupational hazard?

Cheers

Whirls

Senior Pilot
22nd Oct 2008, 20:15
Would the 109 have been less likely to sink into the ground if it had had skids instead of wheels and if so, why use a 109 - wouldn't that be an occupational hazard?

Especially if it were an AS365, m'dear :p

Bravo73
22nd Oct 2008, 20:16
So, do I take it that the first hour is important, or something? ;) Otherwise, a great series. I imagine that their donations will sky rocket after this. :D

And Whirls - back of the aircraft spotting class for you. G-HEMS is an AS365, not a 109! ;) (It started it's Hems life in London, incidentally.) And yes, skids are better for soft ground. But, as always, the choice of aircraft is always a compromise. In this case, the AS365 trades skids for speed.

KNIEVEL77
22nd Oct 2008, 20:17
Great photography from Castle Air, good content, shame the last five minutes let it down when they interviewed the 'recovered' patients on a 'handycam' using sound from the camera mic........thought it was very insensitive as well to have pinned a lapel mic to the paralysed patient's bed clothes......oh and if I here the words 'golden hour' one more time...............!

Whirlygig
22nd Oct 2008, 20:19
Oops, that'll teach me for multi-tasking and trying to watch a programme whilst ironing and being otherwise domestic!! :O

Anyway, it was white and green.

Cheers

Whirls

Mark Nine
22nd Oct 2008, 20:45
It's all very well and good banging on about the "Golden hour", but I wish the producers would have explained how long it was!!

theavionicsbloke
22nd Oct 2008, 21:54
Thank god for that...I thought they were saying "Golden #~wer"
I did wonder for a moment there. Thanks for the clarification...

scruggs
23rd Oct 2008, 10:40
A great programme I thought. What was the episode called again, something about a "Golden Hour"? Oh that's right, they only mentioned it about 50 times :}

The aerial photography was fantastic. I've never ventured around those parts before, the scenery looks stunning.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

S

Clever Richard
23rd Oct 2008, 12:50
I thought the obviously valuable work of the medics was spoiled by the banal narration and the drive by the producer to over-dramatise every scenario.

Also, I couldn't help noticing that for every call, apart from the one in the Lake District, a land ambulance was either already on scene or arrived shortly after the air ambulance. Is the 'Golden Hour' mentioned that crucial or was it a case of justifying a very expensive asset?

The job in the Lake District looked like it was crying out for a proper SAR helo with a winch, why wasn't one of those used ? It looked like bl**dy hard work for the medics just to get to the casualty.

I am not criticising the GNAA's efforts as I would certainly be delighted to see them if I was in a crash. It's just that I expect higher production standards from the BBC.

CR

wokkaboy
23rd Oct 2008, 13:46
Any particular reason for the three different aircraft types, or is it a case of take what you can get?

I imagine it would be a bit of a headache ops/maintenance/paperwork-wise, and that operating the same type (e.g. YAA's 2 Explorers) would be easier to manage and more cost effective?

Great programme, let's hope the public dig deep in their pockets :ok:

airborne_artist
23rd Oct 2008, 13:58
the banal narration and the drive by the producer to over-dramatise

A feature of every reality show on the box.

Despite the scenery and the programme content I switched off after ten minutes. Another mention of the Golden Hour and the telly was going to get the rock star treatment. Good stories totally ruined by crass media-luvvies who think the sun shines from their fundament.

IFHP
23rd Oct 2008, 14:07
Best bit was the throw away comment on the Bolkow bomb bay where they put the stretcher now. Any ex 105 bomb aimers out there ?

TorqueOfTheDevil
23rd Oct 2008, 15:45
The job in the Lake District looked like it was crying out for a proper SAR helo with a winch, why wasn't one of those used ? It looked like bl**dy hard work for the medics just to get to the casualty.There are plenty of incidents like this where the air ambulance is called to an incident in the Lakes because it's based nearer so it arrives much more quickly than a SAR helo (which has to come from Boulmer, Valley or Prestwick, or occasionally Leconfield). Unfortunately any time advantage gained by the air amb arriving sooner is usually lost in walking in to the casualty and then moving the casualty to the aircraft; another disadvantage is the risk to the casualty and the stretcher carriers involved in moving the cas over difficult terrain to the air amb rather than winching them direct from where they fell/collapsed.

Frequently, it turns out that the air amb cannot actually recover the cas at all, resulting in the SAR helo being tasked long after the incident started, creating an unnecessary delay for the casualty. There seems to be no comprehension that the SAR helo can be stood down while still en route if other agencies manage to resolve the incident in the meantime, surely it would be better to ask for a SAR helo and turn it away empty-handed than wait until every other option has been explored before admitting defeat.

And yes, much effort has been expended (and wasted) on trying to pass on this message to the relevant people. Sad, but true.

Bertie Thruster
23rd Oct 2008, 15:57
...........perhaps the HEMS helicopters ought to have winches fitted..........:}

TorqueOfTheDevil
23rd Oct 2008, 16:06
...perhaps it's time for a harmonisation of UK SAR which would take a fresh look at basing...:eek::eek::eek:

misterbonkers
23rd Oct 2008, 17:26
Does a SAR helo carry the ECG equipment on board that they used to have a look at the chaps heart with?

From a medical point of view would the 'drama' experienced by a chap with suspected heart problems getting winched by a helicopter and whizzed off to hospital pose a potential risk?

winchman
23rd Oct 2008, 17:29
Yet more proof that AA's in the north would benifit from a winch then there would be no need to ever mention the SAR/ AA winch thing again:ok:

206Fan
23rd Oct 2008, 17:45
I kicked everyone out of the living area last night so i could watch it on the widescreen:E

Excellent show, the aerial footage was awsome, can't wait to see some more episodes!

KNIEVEL77
23rd Oct 2008, 22:14
Quick question......who is it that decides to send the Air Ambulance on a particular job.....I noticed that not all of the 'shouts' were to rural locations so does it depend on whether a road ambulance can reach a hospital within a given time, if it can't they send for the Air Ambulance?

Mgoid
23rd Oct 2008, 22:14
yep, but what would be the chance of gnaas or pdg being forward thinking enough to produce that. You get what you pay for, cheap, cheap, cheap says the pride of cumbria budgie.

TorqueOfTheDevil
24th Oct 2008, 11:59
would the 'drama' experienced by a chap with suspected heart problems getting winched by a helicopter and whizzed off to hospital pose a potential risk?Possibly - but then so would a protracted carry over difficult terrain.

proof that AA's in the north would benifit from a winchCould a small aircraft of the types used by the air ambs mount a winch with the same capability (cable length, lifting ability etc) as a Sea King? I very much doubt it, in which case fitting a mini-winch would help on some occasions but cause greater problems on others. Besides, with the credit crunch, I would guess that the GNAAS would be hard pressed to splash out on new equipment and crew training - especially as currently they don't even man all their aircraft 7 days a week.

MightyGem
24th Oct 2008, 20:46
Best bit was the throw away comment on the Bolkow bomb bay where they put the stretcher now. Any ex 105 bomb aimers out there
Yes, I think he was referring to the aircraft's former life with the German Army, where it possibly had a HOT(High subsonic, Optically tracked, Tube launched) Antitank missile fit. reloads could have been carried in the back.

Though the programme was well made, but I was getting ready to throw something at the screen everytime they mentioned the golden hour!!

I thought that I recognised one of the pilot's names, Steve Graham, but didn't recognise him until he actually spoke. Hi there Waves. Bit less hair and a few more pounds than when you were at 654 in Detmold!! :ok:

IFHP
25th Oct 2008, 09:59
Bombs not missiles were mentioned... and didn't the Bo used to be AZOR in another life.

MightyGem
25th Oct 2008, 16:16
Sorry, bombs were mentioned, as was the fact that the 105 in question had started out with the German Army. Of course, that fact could have been an error by the programme makers, but it was said.

Whirlygig
25th Oct 2008, 16:38
The narrator did say that they were putting the patient into the old bomb bay. At that point, I looked up from my ironing and saw the Bolkow 105!

Cheers

Whirls

quichemech
27th Oct 2008, 15:52
I do believe the Bolkow was G-AZOR in a previous life, the Pilot flying it was also a former Bond man:rolleyes:

MightyGem
28th Oct 2008, 10:21
Going through G-INFO brings up this page:
GINFO Registration History | Aircraft Register | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=reg&fullregmark=WAAN)

which subsequently leads to this:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/HistoricalMaterial/G-AZOR.pdf

So, G-WAAN is Ser No 20 built in 71/72. The German Army didn't order 105s until 1977 so the BBC were incorrect about it's history.

peterprobe
28th Oct 2008, 10:25
All in all a good advert for which aircraft NOT to use in that role, 109 sinks, 105 excellent in it s day but gone now ( too many fat patients) leaving 902 and 135 (take your pick). Mind you I get all my info on the job from a 902 driver!!

Fargoo
28th Oct 2008, 19:06
Anyone know when the 1/2 hour episodes are going to show. Nothing on the listings for this week.

Barshifter
30th Oct 2008, 22:42
Early 2009 seems to be the general concensus.No reasons as to why it was pulled.Seems the BBC are suspending quite a few programs at the minute :}

500 Fan
30th Oct 2008, 23:51
Quote "Best bit was the throw away comment on the Bolkow bomb bay where they put the stretcher now. Any ex 105 bomb aimers out there ?"

There is one actually. Rose Dugdale is her name and thankfully she was a crap bomb-aimer! She was one of two people to hijack an Irish Helicopters BO-105 in Donegal back in the early seventies and take it across the border on a bombing mission, targetting Strabane police station. The 'bombs' were made from milk churns filled with explosives. They were a little too big to fit out through the side doors and when they did manage to get them out, they missed the target. Maybe if they had used the 'bomb bay' down the back they might have been 'successful!?!' Ironically, another Irish Helicopters BO-105 went on a bombing mission in 1980 in the film 'North Sea Hijack', this time using the rear bomb bay. Don't know who the bombers were that day, though!

500 Fan.

Farmer 1
31st Oct 2008, 12:42
So, G-WAAN is Ser No 20 built in 71/72. The German Army didn't order 105s until 1977 so the BBC were incorrect about it's history.

G-AZOR is/was a 105D. The German army operated 105C's, I believe, well before 1977. The D spec. was for British CAA requirements.

I believe the aircraft used in the film North Sea Hijack was G-AZTI. These two aircraft were, I think, the first 105s operated by Management Aviation. The bomb in question was collected from the platform's stores department. It is a little-known fact that all offshore oil/gas installations keep a selection of bombs for such purposes.:rolleyes:

WylieCoyote
14th Apr 2009, 13:31
Friday, 20:30 on BBC One (except Scotland)

Second episode this Friday, those of us North of the border will have to resort to Iplayer.

g-mady
14th Apr 2009, 17:26
I just looked... it says episode 1 of 8??? Are they re-running the first episode?

The new North sea program of Virgin1 is worth a mention too!

MADY

WylieCoyote
14th Apr 2009, 19:16
I don't think it's a repeat, the first episode was 'The Golden Hour' and was a pilot episode, this is the first of the series. That's how the bbc description reads on the website to me anyway.

Barshifter
17th Apr 2009, 09:17
Looks like the BBC are just running odd episodes again.My recorder wont let me put it on series link.

vortexadminman
17th Apr 2009, 13:07
"I would guess that the GNAAS would be hard pressed to splash out on new equipment and crew training - especially as currently they don't even man all their aircraft 7 days a week." err yes they do!!!

TorqueOfTheDevil
17th Apr 2009, 13:51
err yes they do!!!

When I wrote that comment last October, the Otterburn site was only manned Mon-Fri, and having just checked their website, there's no newsflash of "Otterburn aircraft now flying 7 days per week" or similar to suggest it's changed.

Clever Richard
17th Apr 2009, 20:33
I have just watched tonight's episode and would be grateful if someone in the know could say whether the commentary is blowing the risks and hazards faced by the crews out of all proportion. If so, the BBC is doing the GNAA a great dis-service. The following is what I deduced from the commentary:

The job in the Lake District apparently involved a helo landing in a precarious position and, in order to vacate the area, the crew was almost blocked in by weather they must surely have been briefed about. What was the fallback plan if they had been socked in at a remote location?

The Coast Guard chap was in a location dangerous to the helo from the risk of being hit by an unexpected wave. However, the pilot elected to land there and 'hotload' the casualty. There were vehicles parked about 50 yds from the incident so why didn't a land ambulance attend?

The crews involved must be shaking their heads in disbelief at the commentary. Nice air-to-air shots though!

CD

stringfellow
17th Apr 2009, 21:04
bear in mind richard the programme has to have mass appeal in order to support ratings and if that means exaggerating perceived risks then thats just good viewing... i for one enjoyed every minute of it.

1. the conditions in the lakes can change in a heart beat, if it clouded in then simply land the mountain rescue team were on hand...the laborious exit from the hills did seem over played, most lakeland valleys do open out into low lands fairly promptly.

2. the sea rescue seemed fine to me the risk was not the landing area but the number of bye standers present.

great viewing and a great promotion.

MINself
17th Apr 2009, 22:25
A very watchable show :D great work everyone at GNAA.
& you could almost not tell that you don't have SAS or AP... or were you cross wind on the jetty?! ;) ;) ;)

:ok:

capt tosspot
18th Apr 2009, 10:51
How about that scenery over in the Lakes? Great filming from castle Air. The Dauphin looks really sleek flying against the backdrop of the hills. I believe the pilots also get paid. Even smogland looks half decent from 1000' (if I close my eyes slightly).

Winches are expensive in training for a charity outfit when you look at times they would be used. Its always a balance of kit carried against size / weight / cost and so on. The SAR crews have all the expertise on that side and I would be interested in hearing how often they need to use the winch. Local MRT usually have a good idea if it going to be a winch job or not and will ask ARCC for a Seaking as soon as they think this is the case.

Clever Richard
18th Apr 2009, 19:03
Was the Air Medics series being filmed when the Original Mountain Marathon got hit by bad weather?

If so, did GNAA get involved and which episode does it feature in? I understand from friends taking part in the event that quite a few people required assistance.

CD

Barshifter
18th Apr 2009, 20:27
No Air Medics was filmed a good twelve months before the il faited mountain marathon event.

Not sure if the GNAA was tasked to help out with the event.One for the GNAA PR Dept.

MightyGem
19th Apr 2009, 17:09
There were vehicles parked about 50 yds from the incident so why didn't a land ambulance attend?
It was mentioned on the programme at the time, that entrance to the pier was prevented by concrete bollards.

Clever Richard
19th Apr 2009, 18:33
They carried that chap in the Lakes further than that over rough ground. The GNAA medics must be made of tougher stuff than the land ambulance stretcher bearers. :ok:

CD

TorqueOfTheDevil
4th May 2009, 20:29
Why carry him at all?

In the time it took to carry the cas to the air amb, a SAR helo could have had him in hospital, without the risk and discomfort (to both cas and helpers) of a prolonged carry over rough ground. And a SAR crew are much less likely to get 'blocked in' by a change in the weather, being both trained and equipped for such events.

Some might deduce that self-promotion, and keeping the stats up, would seem to rank at least as highly as the patients best interests...

MightyGem
5th May 2009, 20:40
BBC: Air Medics
Where's it gone? Anyone know? looks like they are showing one episode a year!

capt tosspot
5th Jun 2009, 17:06
Hi folks, I've just heard that the BBC series 'Air Medics' runs with 7 x 30 min episodes from 19 Jun to 31st July. On Beeb 1 at 7.30, so its a nice spot for helicopters and air ambulance work. It follows various events from all 3 of the Great North Machines. The old Bolkow in Northumbria, 902 at Durham Tees Valley and Dauphin at Penrith, Cumbria. Bits I've seen are great air to air and scenery thanks to Castle Air. I always think Dauph. looks slick when tanking along.

Here is some of the BBC blurb:
FILMING the SERIES
Filming Air Medics took over four months, with embedded camera directors living and breathing every gritty moment as medical teams rushed to major accidents. With the use of multiple mini-cams, combined with air-to-air filming recorded on a state-of-the-art Cineflex High Definition camera rig, (the same used in BBC’s ‘MOUNTAIN’ and ‘COAST’), this high-octane series is a wonderful mixture of stunning landscapes and raw action.

Through eight thematic half-hour films, viewers will experience first hand the nail-biting missions taken on by the Teesside, Carlisle and Northumberland helicopters. Safeguarding some of the most wild and beautiful areas of the UK, the crews are on call seven days a week, 365 days a year. Ready to react at moment’s notice, their patients can be any of the 3.5 million locals or thousands of tourists who flock to the region’s picturesque yet sometimes lethal landscapes.

Its a slightly different slant to the London HEMS episodes as they tend to get a lot more trauma than the more rural north. Should be good to watch. :ok:

MightyGem
5th Jun 2009, 21:42
So that will be the third time it's started. Lets hope they show more than one episode this time. :*

Barshifter
18th Jun 2009, 15:13
Yep its on the schedule's for tommorow (Friday 19/6) 7.30pm on BBC1.

Looking Forward to it!

Brilliant Stuff
19th Jun 2009, 12:35
And coming up..............

Let us remind you what happened three seconds ago......

MightyGem
19th Jun 2009, 20:33
Excellent stuff, and a complete lack of...
Let us remind you what happened three seconds ago......
...unlike the commercial channels. :ugh: