PDA

View Full Version : USA Offshore Drilling Ban to expire Sep. 30th

ATPMBA
24th Sep 2008, 00:07
It should be interesting. If it really takes off where will the pilots come from? Will they lower the standards to 500 hours TT per FAA Part 135 minimums?

loav8r
24th Sep 2008, 00:46
I don't know if the TT will be lowered, however, the pay should go up quite a bit for qualified pilots. I could not see the status quo (pay/benefits) continuing in the GoM with such a demand in place. With the huge number of pilots retiring (Vietnam era guys) in the near future, coupled with the new demand of more should lead to good times for helicopter pilots working offshore. God I hope so. :ok:

Gomer Pylot
24th Sep 2008, 04:14
It won't make much if any difference. The oil companies are already sitting on millions of acres of undrilled leases. There are no more drilling rigs available to drill any more in the short term. It will be years before any further drilling starts, if it ever does, because there just isn't that much oil there, even when the rigs are available.

Super 61
24th Sep 2008, 08:40
...and

The retired Vietnam pilots mentioned are being replaced by the ex Gulf war 1, 2 and 2a chaps. There's plenty more coming soon once the big pullout begins :ok: