PDA

View Full Version : gps AV80R

robert mailer
23rd Sep 2008, 21:46
Has any one try bendix/ king Av80R, selling my 196, and thinking of buying Av80R,any good:)

flybymike
23rd Sep 2008, 23:35
I would rather like to get my hands on the 3D version when available

Coriolis The Crab
25th Sep 2008, 12:31
Mine is being delivered tomorrow, I'll post initial impressions on Monday.

VictorGolf
29th Sep 2008, 16:32
Looking forward to your comments.

beatnik
30th Sep 2008, 00:12
All I can tell you is that the AV8OR is hugely popular already...with seemingly very few people actually having tried one out.

I have one on order from the USA. First it was going to be shipped on 19 Sep, then 26 Sep, now today I've been told 7 Oct (but they can't guarantee that this date won't slip further). Apparently Honeywell are battling to keep up with demand.

Spoke to Flightstore today, and they have sold out their entire first batch (which they can't deliver for a few more weeks), and are now taking orders for the next batch which they only expect to be able to deliver in 4-6 weeks.

You'd think that when a company as big as Honeywell creates a product designed by pilots, for pilots, which has all these desirable features and a good price tag, that they'd make sure they had made enough for the intial demand. Clearly the market reaction following on from its release at Oshkosh has taken them by surprise!

Still - can't wait to get my mitts on mine. :ok:

Chuck Ellsworth
30th Sep 2008, 01:32
I would like to know how the touch screen is in turbulence.

I have been using the Anywheremap system for years and the touch screen can be difficult in turbulence.

Creep Feed Grinder
13th Oct 2008, 20:11
Anybody got one yet?

I'm told there's a waiting list! Is it that good?

sycamore
13th Oct 2008, 21:13
Chuck,you are supposed to fold it before you get into the a/c....!!

debiassi
29th Oct 2008, 19:44
I have just flown from Aarhus to Humberside and my copilot used the av80r to test it. Nice display, quick graphics and also like the side profile view even tho a little small on the screen. Has a great locator funtion which is great for position reports etc. For what it costs, its an absolute must and does more than units at more than twice the price. Havent tested the audio or video features as yet but unless you have a jack plug routed through your audio panel, wouldnt really be of much use anyway.
Hope this helps

Islander2
30th Oct 2008, 21:46
What data-base does it use? I'm sure I'll not be alone in wanting to hear about the suitability of its map presentation for VFR flying. This was always a significant edge for the Skymap over the Jeppesen-based Garmin units, and I'm very keen to learn whether or not that advantage has been maintained.

IO540
30th Oct 2008, 22:53
I think every aviation GPS runs on Jepp data, but different vendors do different stuff on top of that.

Bendix/King / Skyforce did well with the Skymap 3C / KMD150 / KMD550 by taking Jepp data and adding VFR VRPs - a gods-send to VFR pilots and why I like my KLN94+KMD550 setup.

I don't think Garmin ever did this on any of their products, for some reason.

Having seen the AV8OR for real in a shop but not running, I would have thought it was too small for the job.

LowNSlow
12th Nov 2008, 06:38
Has anybody got their AV80Rs up and running yet? I'm looking to upgrade from my ancient Garmin Pilot III to something with a larger, preferably colour, screen and, as I can't get avaition software for my TomTom, I'll have to buy something new.

Fitter2
12th Nov 2008, 06:42
The 495/496 have VRPs. I would hope the 695 has - I will have my hands on one of them next week. Big screen, but a bit pricy.

rans6andrew
12th Nov 2008, 11:07
has anyone any idea what the AV8OR database update cost is going to be?

When I bought the Skymap II I was a little stunned to find that it was £100 a go to update. Seems a bit steep when Garmin is about £25 or £30.

I did ask this of Harry M and the lady there said she would ring me back when they found out. That was at the beginning of September..............

Andrew.

IFollowRailways
12th Nov 2008, 18:50
https://www.bendixking.com/wingman/servlet/com.merx.npoint.servlets.DocumentServlet?docid=D3EE49E34-160D-A877-DA15-A8647BA2BA83

Or to cut a long story short, $35.00.

beatnik
12th Nov 2008, 19:57
I see the folk at Bendix-King, obviously not happy with all Yanks calling herbs -> 'erbs, and You Tube -> You Toob, now want us to spell Quarterly as Quaterly.

:rolleyes:

rans6andrew
13th Nov 2008, 15:44
Thanks for that, IFollowRailways, Harry M still has not been able to find out from the UK support folk.

Incidentally, I hear that there are a few bugs in the AV8OR software, particularly with the editing/creation/deletion/renaming of waypoints. This sounds familiar, my Skymap II has mysteriously been able to put 2 waypoints, each with the same default name, in different geographical positions, into 2 different routes but only one entry appears in the waypoint list. I renamed the visible one in the list and now can't access the other one to change it/delete it or anything else. It still appears in a route but not in the waypoint list. I showed this to Skyforce/BendixKing/Honeywell at the last London airshow and they were going to get back to me........

Ho Hum.

Andrew.

m.millar
28th Dec 2008, 18:01
The latest Bendix King software update (01/04 - 18th December) has fixed the problem with editing waypoints. Also, I found that you can add small strips as waypoints and then change the symbol to airport which allows you to add the runway direction/length, frequency etc. Thanks to the VansAirForce forum for that one.

I've had my unit for 2 weeks and it's a really good gps. It replaced my Skymap II, which was starting to loose lines on the display. I'm very impressed. It's excellent value for money and has lots of features - it does everything my Garmin 296 does and much more, and is lighter. The 800MaH battery ( Nokia BL-5C - about £10 on ebay) only gives about 90 minutes life so a 5 volt power supply is really needed in the cockpit (or 12 volt ciger lighter or wired in voltage regulator chip). It has the intuitive function selection that the Skymap II had, but using the touch screen. You do need to rest your hand on the unit in turbulence (light so far!) to use the touch screen, and I wouldn't want the screen to be any smaller, but I can't fit a larger unit in my Fournier anyway. With the suction mount I can attach it to the side of the canopy in a good position to read and operate. In addition, the go-drive sat-nav function is every bit as good as my Garmin Nuvi and it can store pictures, videos and music on the 4GB SD card. Haven't found a coffee maker yet!

Flight planning on the unit is quite easy with the touch screen keyboard. It recognises my gliding site for the start point and also has all the VRP's loaded like the Skymap. One problem I'm having is that I can't get it to recognise Jeppesen FlightStar route files. It says you can load them but all I get is a ' 'Failed to read FPL waypoint from file' message. Has anyone else tried this? Hopefully they will sort out a software fix soon.

m.millar
29th Dec 2008, 17:08
OK - I got the Flightstar route import to work. The 'Failed to read FPL waypoint from file' message occurs when there is already a waypoint in the AV80R with the same name as the FlightStar waypoint you are trying to import. This confusion arises because FlightStar automatically numbers waypoints on a new route as WP 1, WP 2 etc, and AV80R waypoints are similarly numbered. Pre-software update 01/04 you couldn't rename these, but that bug has now been fixed. I think the simplest solution is to rename the FlightStar waypoints before exporting. It is necessary to name the export file 'route.txt' (not case sensitive) Nothing else will work. That just about sorts out all the problems I've found so far.

Mike

rans6andrew
24th Mar 2009, 21:26
are all of you AV80R users still happy with your units? By the lack of evidence to the contrary, on Pprune, I guess that things are going well.

I am just about to upgrade my Skymap II unit to the latest database but wonder if I might be better to move on up to the AV80R ..........

Rans6Andrew.

beatnik
24th Mar 2009, 22:53
I am very happy with mine. The screen is very easy to read, although sometimes if you don't touch the screen just right you enter the Pointer edit mode, instead of the zoom in/zoom out mode which can be annoying. I tend not to trust the GPS altitude readouts though - they appear a bit random, but the rest is spot on.

The terrain smart profile is very handy, especially near "A" or "D" CAS, and the ability to export your latest flight log into Google Earth is fantastic - an excellent way to see how accurate one's circuits are, especially in cross wind conditions.

Excellent screen refresh, and if you use low backlight the battery can last for up to 3 hours, but in brightish sunlight, with the backlight on, probably just over 1 hour. However you can buy spare batteries at £3.90 each from Amazon as it uses the same as some Nokia phones (Nokia BL-4C battery cell)

I haven't yet done a database update, but I have updated the software via their website. No problems there.

The GoDrive function is also very good. I have personally gone for the lovely Australian lady's voice.

macwolf
17th Apr 2009, 00:42
Argh.. I was playing and fiddling with some map files on the AV80R, and accidentally overwrote a couple of files with the new Pacific map DB that has just come out!

I didn't make a backup .. does anyone mind send me a few files off their SD card... so I can recover.. and get the unit booting up again.

I need:

Database.dat and
terrain.bin (both found under the GOFLY folder somewhere)

If you can email me them (they are small), let me know!

Thanks!!

helifella
26th Apr 2009, 07:53
Can anyone answer me this:

If I was to buy the Pacific version (I currently fly in Australia), then moved to the US, and wanted to buy the Americas database, how much would that set me back?

Also, what capacity SD card will the AV8OR support? Just how much of my own media can I fit on there? Can I buy a larger SD card, transfer all the system files onto it and then my media? Or is it formatted for BK only?

Regards

A and C
26th Apr 2009, 09:10
This unit has such a good screen in all light conditions that the gliding community are now starting to produce programs for the unit.

It would seem that it is better for the job than the iPAC based units that have up until now been available.

This was a spin off that surprised the Bendix/King repps at a recent trade show has they ad never considered this application!

cct
27th Apr 2009, 00:05
Not had enough chances to use it, but I am well pleased with mine.
I tried various ways to back up the memory card onto another 4Gb one, but couldnt use any of the copies.

MeRiNo
7th Jul 2009, 09:15
Hello,

I have one that i've aquired yesterday, i have to tell you, its amazing...

However i have a huge problem now, i has doing backup after i've updated everything and it crashed, when i noticed all the GoFly folder was gone, can please somebody send me that folder and everything in it?

This is really important,

Thank you very much,

Nuno Merino

andrew_wallis
10th Jul 2009, 18:38
I've had the AV8TOR for a couple of months, but have taken it back and exchanged it for a 296. I was very unimpressed with the AV8TOR, the battery is a nokia phone battery, whilst the charger is a generic connector which is very flimsy. The 296 by comparison has a good chunky battery and a strong connector for power. I did like the AV8TOR road GPS function, but couldn't rely on it not to crash or go grey screen at the worst time. Im really glad I gave it a go, but really like to 296. The difference is, the 296 feels reliable, and like it has been produced by someone who flies themselves. The AV8TOR feels like a PDA and is about as stable. Andrew

pianoplayer
5th Aug 2009, 15:16
Thanks Andrew, that's the truth I needed to hear. I was about to buy a 296, then AFE recommended me to consider the Aviator, and couldn't decide. Do you still maintain what you said before? And is there anything you miss about the Av8or?

Many thanks,

Dave.

beatnik
5th Aug 2009, 20:53
I have not had any of the problems highlighted by other posts with my AV8OR. In fact I think its fantastic. I stick it (with the sucker mount) to the lower left hand cockpit window. I power it from a cigarette lighter type fitting on the instrument panel. If you need to use batteries, you can get spare batteries for about £4 each off t'internet. Fly with a couple of fully charged spares and you won't have a problem. The map is clear and easy to read (and in colour), even in direct sunlight. You can drag the map left and right with your finger (or the stylus that comes with the GPS). I've never had drop outs, grey outs or anything. I always know where I am, when I expect to reach my next waypoint, and with the map profile view, I'm very aware if I'm about to bust CAS or embark on some CFIT. All CAS, Danger areas, MATZ's and ATZ's are pre-loaded. Plus when I get home, I plug the AV8OR into my laptop, double-click on the gps log file, and I can see exactly where I flew using Google Earth.

In my club plane we have a Garmin 430 - a nice piece of kit, but I simply cannot get the hang of it, either to programme a flight plan or simply enter a "Direct to". I find "turn big right knob, press little right knob" all very counter intuitive. The AV8OR flight plan only takes a couple of seconds to create, and for a direct track to anywhere is as simple as sticking your finger on the required location on the screen and clicking the "Direct to" icon. Pow! You get track to steer, bearing, distance to WP, groundspeed, ETE, altitude, CDI all within seconds. They've just introduced a winds aloft function - giving wind speed and direction. It even produces 10nm vector lines for the runway you've chosen at your destination airfield.

I think for its price and what it delivers, its a serious contender to be in every cockpit. Plus the included road GPS will tell you how to get to the nearest pub once you've landed in a strange airfield!

M609
6th Aug 2009, 00:53
The 296 by comparison has a good chunky battery and a strong connector for power.

Not so sure I agree, maybe if you can leave the power cable in most of the time it´s ok. The one my club has on a yoke mount in a 172 is on it´s 3rd power cable. It has broken at the GPS end because is hard to get out, resulting in the less subtle club members using Mk.1 brute force, with predictable results!

I´m looking at geting a AV80R myself, is there any good videos on the web of a test of it?

Shunter
6th Aug 2009, 05:37
Plenty of video tests available on youtube. Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQYKDm1oNVQ) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2OTgvtEnyE).

fernytickles
7th Aug 2009, 04:50
This unit has such a good screen in all light conditions

We were looking at all the GPS/EFB options last week at AirVenture. Separately, and at different times of the day, we asked for the AV8OR to be taken outside in the daylight. Both times the screen disappeared completely. Not quite what we were hoping for :(

rjtjrt
18th Nov 2009, 00:21
Any more use opinions or reviews of this AV8OR?
John

skydiver548
18th Nov 2009, 09:29
I got my AV8OR in May and think it's a great bit of kit. First real test was a flight to NE Spain (empuriabrava), a couple of the legs were 3 hours + so just had an alternative power source (battery type thing) plugged in. Never missed a beat, has all the VRP's and reporting points for airfields preset. Its very easy to use, you can put a flight plan in in less than a minute.. all very good.

rans6andrew
18th Nov 2009, 10:40
I bought my AV80R at the beginning of August. Brilliant! It is big enough, just, for the moving map to be properly usable and still small enough to pop in your jacket pocket when you leave the aircraft. I was concerned that the screen might be useless in sunlight under a bubble canopy. I need not have worried, you just have to be sensible and angle the unit so that you don't have the sun/sky reflected in the screen. This is true of monochrome displays as well. My old Skymap II is difficult to read if you set the angle so you can see your white shirt reflected in the display.

The AV80R was supplied with an early version of the operating system and an aviation database from "just after WW2" but when you register the product they give you a free database update to go with the free operating system upgrade which you do on line using the supplied cable. The unit supports flying and driving modes using different programmes.

The flying operation does everything I would want and then some. The driving mode is very complete, even gives spoken warnings when you reach the speed limit on every road in/through our village. Between our village and the next one the speed limit goes from 30 to 40 for approximately 1/4 mile, it even has that programmed correctly. The "route planning" is "interesting" although that may be something that is not set up as I would like in the preferences. I have not fiddled with it but "Er Indoors" played with it when we were out driving. The spoken voice gets louder as the speed increases so that it compensates for the noise of the car nicely.

Unfortunately I am just about to find out how good the after sales service is. I had not used the unit for about 6 weeks and then it failed to boot up the flying mode. The on screen help said to cycle the power, which I did. The unit then booted up but the driving mode was having some problems with places missing from the database and the flying mode has lost ALL of my routes and way points. I played with the unit for about 20 mins before the low battery message came up so low battery was not the cause of the problems. I recharged the battery overnight but the driving database was still corrupt. I popped the battery out for a few mins. On replacing the battery the unit booted up correctly, the driving database now has all of the places back in but the flying side is still missing all of my planning info.

The dealer is talking to Bendix King to see where we go from here. I'll keep you posted.

Rans6Andrew.

rjtjrt
20th Nov 2009, 01:25
Does the AV8OR display traffic from a Zaon XRX on the map page with map topo etc or on a separate page to normal map page? Garmin 495 has traffic displayed on normal map as well as at same time on a small black square at bottom left of map page with traffic.
John

India Four Two
29th Mar 2010, 09:05
Any more user reports on the AV80R?

I thinking of buying one when I come to the UK next week.

Miroku
29th Mar 2010, 12:24
I'm looking at the Airbox Freedom Clarity and Garmin Aera 500, possibly an improvement on the AV80R.

chris-h
29th Mar 2010, 14:03
I'm looking at the Airbox Clarity

I have just bought 1 and can honestly say its the best piece of kit iv bought :ok:
10% off in flightstore at the moment aswell.

rans6andrew
7th Jun 2010, 14:42
Update to my November posting. Honeywell replaced my faulty AV80R without quibble but took 3 weeks to do it. Everything seemed to be hunky dory with the replacement unit until the middle of March, when it showed exactly the same problem as the previous unit, ie a failure to boot up if the battery is less than fully charged. I returned the unit, in person, to Pooleys, over 5 weeks ago and.........

Apparently, a replacement was authorised some 3 weeks ago but there is no stock holding in the UK part of the supply chain and it is unclear when there will be!

My patience is wearing a bit thin now, the flying season is in full swing etc.

I suggested, this morning, to the European Honeywell rep, that maybe deliveries are on hold until the faults are fixed! I still await a response from him.

So, I have had two units, both showed issues when they were a few months old. I might have been just unlucky..... I do wonder how many units have been sold and how many have the same issues. The dealers are not giving much away. Anyone?

Rans6Andrew.