PDA

View Full Version : Uk Caa - Jaa??

theflieger
23rd Sep 2008, 16:56
Hi!!

Is there any difference between the JAA in the UK or in other countries? If I do my JAA ATPL in the UK I will get the same ATPL as in other european country?
For example If I want to work in Spain (just an example) the JAA ATPL I got in the UK will work for me?

I want to do my JAA ATPL (full time groundschool and the 14 exams) in the UK but I`m confused about this UK CAA and JAA relationship.

Please help with some info!

Thanks

potkettleblack
23rd Sep 2008, 17:19
You have opened up a can of worms. In "theory" (I use that term loosely) your licences and ratings should travel with you across to whichever JAA member state you wish to ply your trade. However speaking from experience a whole bunch of us had to transfer our UK CPL/ME/IR's to another JAA state as our OPC's couldn't be signed off by a non UK TRE on an ongoing basis. Its long and complicated and expensive so don't get me started. We did however get our initial type ratings added okay to our licences but that was as far as we could go with the good ole c of a so it was goodbye after that.

But back to your questions....First thing is to ascertain which JAA member state you wish to issue you with a CPL. If its the UK hen you will need to do your ATPL's in the UK (or at an approved overseas exam centre). Then do your ME/CPL and IR again at an approved school. A list of these are on the CAA website under the personnel licensing section. Note that the IR test can only be undertaken with a UK examiner so you can't try and save some cash doing it cheap and still expect to get a UK licence at the end of it.

If you decide to go elsewhere in JAA land

Be careful as it can be a minefield. Don't just rely on advice from an anonymous forum like this. If you have any queries call the UK CAA directly and get anything in writing so you have some comeback. Good luck.

selfin
23rd Sep 2008, 17:47
...the IR test can only be undertaken with a UK examiner...

This is incorrect. The JAR-FCL CPL LST must be undertaken with a UK CAA FE if the ATPL/CPL TKC is undertaken via a UK groundschool (some exceptions exist..)

Secondly the UK CAA is disinterested in logging complaints about serious losses of quality in flight training offered by other JAR FTOs.

RSFTO
23rd Sep 2008, 17:55
I have a jar uk license and I have been working with it all over europe without any problem. I can do my medical anywhere in jaa and I do my ir pc check every year or class pc or tr pc anywhere as long as the examiner is jar examiner, it does not matter that he is uk, and I keep sending the forms to gatwick to keep them updated. no problem and is since 2003 I do that.

theflieger
23rd Sep 2008, 20:50
Thanks! Nice to get some infos about this. Any further infos are welcome./p>

potkettleblack
24th Sep 2008, 15:08
RSFTO - you're lucky. We can only get the initial LST for our type ratings done in house and our first OPC.