PDA

View Full Version : In Flight Book - help needed!

Jet2LeedsTom
23rd Sep 2008, 10:33
I tried to post this yesterday but it never appeared - sorry if I posted in the wrong section :confused:

Right… I have a question which is could be totally unnecesary and silly, but could be relevant. Either way, I'd rather ask for a personal opinion and avoid any problems or embarassment (to anyone) at a later date.

I am on a ten hour flight from the UK on Saturday and would like to get stuck into a book I've been planning to read for a while but not really had time: Jason Burke's Al Qaeda

http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&id=-_FJFFrit8AC&dq=jason+burke+al+qaeda&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=XLu3q1WPHR&sig=aNPdrxtfM06roUA3wS6jEnXuV7Q&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result#PPR9,M1 (http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&id=-_FJFFrit8AC&dq=jason+burke+al+qaeda&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=XLu3q1WPHR&sig=aNPdrxtfM06roUA3wS6jEnXuV7Q&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result#PPR9,M1)

Now… For obvious reasons I TOTALLY understand that this may cause a problem - possibly spooking fellow passengers, maybe worrying security and potentially giving cabin crew a sensitive problem.

I do not want any of the above to happen. But I do want to read this book! I take on the chin any comments you may have, be they "how could you be so effing stupid taking that stuff on an a/c" to "no worries, it's fine" !!

Many thanks

Gulf4uk
24th Sep 2008, 11:22
HI

In your position Reading that I would go by SEA .Spook the passengers ?
would you get on a flight with that in your Hand ?
I smell a " CANDID CAMERA "Type joke here.

Tony

PaperTiger
24th Sep 2008, 15:50
For goodness' sake, it's a book. Not written in Arabic or some other funny-looking script I assume; take it on and tell anyone who gets upset not to be such a :mad:ing pussy.

Gulf4uk
24th Sep 2008, 15:58
hi

There is another answer he might not even get to read it because the others
on board might also want a read something that looks even remotely interesting
seems to grab attention. in W H Smiths is it ?

Tony

Rainboe
24th Sep 2008, 18:11
It's a bit heavy for inflight reading, isn't it? I prefer to read Nuts and Heat.

Seriously, I don't think it's the most diplomatic thing to take. I think it will upset some people who see it inflight. Why do dat? Pack it in your suitcase and take something a bit lighter about not such ugly people! Masses of reading at the airport.

TSR2
24th Sep 2008, 20:06
If you REALLY want to read this book in flight and you are REALLY concerned about fellow passengers/crew reactions, then I would suggest you put a false cover over the book.

al446
25th Sep 2008, 10:55
You could try reading it aloud so that fellow PAX are reassured about content. I am sure if you start this at departure gate all will bond to you and be engrossed. :)

Gulf4uk
25th Sep 2008, 11:06
you never know you might even get to meet those nice
men with there popguns. Very friendly lot .Sure they would
like a read as well

Tony

visioncat
25th Sep 2008, 21:20
Good rule of thumb might be to see if it or similar books are sold in WHS travel/Books Etc - I think they sell books on plane crashes, al quaeda and all kinds of spooky stuff with the assumption people will take the books to read on the plane.