PDA

View Full Version : Best Training Aid

merlinn
23rd Sep 2008, 08:43
Hi There,

I have just started training for my PPL and was curious as to any theory training aids that anyone has used, such online courses, DVD, Cd's etc. I see that most of these are focused on the FAA etc,(I am in Australia) but I assume angles of climb etc are the same in a 172 no matter where you are flying.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Celtic Pilot
23rd Sep 2008, 08:54
To be honest I used a set of books and read my way through them,, Instructor was a prick so needless to say no help from him,, infact I never one got a brief before or after the flight lesson,,,

Anyway

All i did was read the theory written in books and (I dont know if you's get it in australia) the ppl confuser.. great help that was..

Didnt use any Computer based training or anything... I didnt find the exams too hard... human perf was a piece of piss....

If your instructor is decent (most are) you can ask him questions you dont undertsand.. I just find these packages are very expensive to buy for what you need, and I heard from some people that they over elaborate on the info, they give you more than you actually need!!!!

chickentikkamasala
23rd Sep 2008, 11:18
My Advice would be not to waste your money on DVD's etc unless there is a particular aspect you are stuck with.

You can't go wrong with the Trevor Thom manuals, they will tell you all you need to know to easily pass the exams and each volume covers a different area, get them all.

Also if you haven't already done so get the manual for the airplane you are flying, apart from telling you the correct speeds there is other information there that will be useful.

You will also find a wealth of information about general safety etc on the CAA web site.

Lastly make sure you start as you mean to go on and that is to know the reason behind the answers to exam questions. Sounds obvious but you will only be cheating yourself in the long run if you don't.

Hope I haven't stated the bleeding obvious but it really is that straight forward.

Good luck and enjoy.