PDA

View Full Version : UK CPL to SA CPL..any advice???

happysod1412
22nd Sep 2008, 23:22
Sorry if this has come up before, But i am thinking of trying to get some work in South Africa but only hold a CPL (H) now the question is, what do i have to do to get a SA CPL???

Please dont say i have to do there complete exam bank like ours!!!

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Oh... and finally, for those of you in SA, is there much work??? If so any good links??

birdlady
23rd Sep 2008, 22:38
You might find this website usefull AvCom - Your Aviation Community (http://www.avcom.co.za)

Im not sure how to post the link :O:O but if you look under the different sections there is a section where you can ask the CAA directly what you need to do to convert.

:ok::ok:

Glynis
24th Sep 2008, 15:21
Hope this helps -

Conversion of a foreign pilot licence and ratings
(24) The holder of a current South African validation issued in terms of the Air
Navigation Regulations of 1976 may apply for the conversion of his or her licence, without having to meet the theoretical knowledge or practical skills tests requirements of Part 61 provided that;

(a) the validation had, prior to 1 January 2008, been held for a uninterrupted period of 3 years or more; and

(b) has acquired not less that 750 hours flight time in the three years referred to in paragraph (a) above.

(25) The application for the issuing of a South African pilot licence or any rating on the strength of a foreign pilot licence or rating must be made to the Commissioner in the form set out in Document SA CATS-FCL 61 and the applicant must meet all the requirements laid down in sub-regulation (26)

(26) Notwithstanding sub-regulations 61.1.14 (24) and (25), an applicant applying for the conversion of his foreign pilot licence must attach to his application the following documentation:

(a) a letter of motivation for conversion of the licence;

(b) an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae;

(c) a certified copy of the pages of his or her logbook containing:
(i) the last 12 months’ summary;
(ii) endorsements of all class or type ratings;
(iii) endorsements of the last revalidation of his or her licence, class or type and instrument flight ratings;

(d) a certified copy of his or her licence; and

(e) a valid South African medical certificate, as applicable.

(27) All new applicants for the conversion of a licence shall be required to pass the South African Civil Aviation Authority theoretical examination as prescribed below:

(a) Private Pilot Licence (PPL/VFR):
(i) Air Law.
(ii) Meteorology.
(iii) Flight Performance and Planning.

(b) Private Pilot Licence with Instrument Rating:
(i) Air Law and Procedures.
(ii) Meteorology.

(c) Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL/VFR):
(i) Air Law.
(ii) Meteorology.

(d) Commercial Pilot Licence with Instrument Rating (CPL/IR):
(ii) Meteorology.

(e) Airline Transport Pilot Licence:
(ii) Meteorology.

Training for the conversion of a licence, rating or validation

(28) The applicant shall be required to attend training at an approved Part 141 aviation training organisation and receive tuition at the discretion of the Chief Flying Instructor (CFI) with respect to differences in South African airspaces, flight performance and planning and typical Southern Africa weather patterns. The CFI shall issue a letter of recommendation to the applicant to gain entry to the South African Civil Aviation Authority (the Authority) on-line examinations.

Skills tests for the conversion of a licence, rating or validation

(29) The applicant for the conversion of a licence shall be required to
undergo a skills test which must be conducted by a Designated Flight Examiner as shown below:

(a) Private Pilot Licence (PPL/VFR) - skills test as for an initial issue;
(b) Private Pilot Licence with Instrument Rating (PPL/IR) - skills test for revalidation of an instrument rating;
(c) Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL/VFR) - skills test as for an initial issue;
(d) Commercial Pilot Licence with Instrument Rating (CPL/IR) - skills test for revalidation of an instrument rating.
(e) Airline Transport Pilot Licence - skills test for revalidation of an instrument
rating.

Conversion of foreign instructor rating

(30) A foreign flight instructor rating may be converted on compliance with subregulations 61.16.3(1), (3) and (4).

Requirements for issuing, validity, privileges and limitations
(31) The requirements for the issuing, the validity, the privileges and limitations of any South African pilot licence and ratings, issued on the basis of the strength of a foreign licence, are those prescribed in these Regulations for the issuing, the validity, the privileges and limitations of the equivalent South African licence or rating.

(32) The Commissioner must ensure that a pilot licence or rating is issued in such a manner that the validity thereof is readily determined.