View Full Version : Cabbin crew while traning for commercial pilot

callum
22nd Sep 2008, 20:54
hi guys
just wondering if i become cabin crew for easy jet, ryanair ect... then after got some money saved i comenced my cpl, ir, atpl would this give me a foothold with the company so to speak.

thanks
callum

Edgington
23rd Sep 2008, 00:01
I know that some one from my school has done it. She wanted to work for a specific airline, first became part of their cabin crew and later moved to the forward office.

She was hired as a pilot partly because she knew the company.

INNflight
23rd Sep 2008, 08:08
That might certainly work with very small companies, mostly GA or corporate operators, however I don't think it would give you any advantage at bigger airlines.

ChrisLKKB
23rd Sep 2008, 08:36
I know a couple of guys who tried this, one was told in no uncertain terms that it wouldn't lead to a job. Neither got a job as a result of this tactic. A job that will allow you to do a bit of networking and keep up on the gossip/rumours such as ops (i'd imagine) might be helpful although I doubt these days it will get you directly onto the flight deck.

Celtic Pilot
23rd Sep 2008, 08:47
its all about the flying hours you have behind you... Each applicant is different..

Candidate A - 2500TT 1200 multi crew experience. Currently working as a F/O 737 with airline A, applying for position with airline B

Candidate B - fatpl - 300TT, working as cabin crew for airline B applying for position as pilot for airline B

Do the maths,,, which candidate do you THINK will get the job!!!!!!

recruiters DONT like """" BROWN NOSERS"""""

:}

Leezyjet
23rd Sep 2008, 20:35
Callum,

It is entirely possible for this to happen, although it doesn't happen very often, it is certainly possible. 99.9% of Cabin Crew have no intention of moving to the front office, but for the 0.1% who do, it is a good way to get to know the movers and shakers and learn a little about the job as you will be able to access the f/deck in flight and sit in the j/seat to watch the goings on.

Bear in mind though that Cabin Crew doesn't pay all that well and you may struggle to pay for your flight training on a cabin crew wage, but if you are still living at home with parents, then it could be do-able.

Candidate A - 2500TT 1200 multi crew experience. Currently working as a F/O 737 with airline A, applying for position with airline B

Candidate B - fatpl - 300TT, working as cabin crew for airline B applying for position as pilot for airline B

Do the maths,,, which candidate do you THINK will get the job!!!!!!

Candidate C, D, E, F, G..etc etc - fatpl - 300tt, straight out of school/college with no other previous work experience applying for a position as pilot for airline B

Do the maths,,, which candidate do you THINK will be 2nd in line for the job !!!!!!

recruiters DONT like """" BROWN NOSERS"""""

Just because you decide to work as cabin crew beforehand DOES NOT mean you are a brown noser. It will certainly help you further down the line as you will understand the problems the rest of your crew face on a day to day basis. In an airline, your crew is more than just the guy sitting in the seat beside you.

Not everyone that goes into flight training :-

A - has rich Mummies and Daddies to pay for it for them.
B - Wants to take out a huge loan.
C - Wants to risk securing huge loan on their parents property.

If I was ever in a position to choose between 2 identical candidates, I'd take the one who worked hard and paid for their own training over one who had it paid for them by Mummy and Daddy any day of the week - it shows they are much more dedicated and committed to the job.

:}

Jumbo744
23rd Sep 2008, 20:48
If I was ever in a position to choose between 2 identical candidates, I'd take the one who worked hard and paid for their own training over one who had it paid for them by Mummy and Daddy any day of the week - it shows they are much more dedicated and committed to the job.

I disagree. One is more lucky than the other but that doesn't make the one who paid by himself more competent. Personally, I wish my parents had the money to pay for my training, I would have done it when I was 18 instead of 24-25.

student88
23rd Sep 2008, 21:16
Hi Callum,

I did this like many others, it tends to separate the 'Wheat from the Chaff' so to speak. Some start working and lose motivation and 'see what it's really like' which is good if you know what you want and bad if you're fooling yourself and doing it for the wrong reasons!

If you go at a nice slow pace it's possible - the pay at easyJet wasn't bad but you'll be lucky to get a permanent contract these days - I think they're only temporary at the moment. No, IMO it wont tip the scale and get you that job but it'll provide you with priceless experience you can draw upon when you've finally made it to the right hand seat. It'll also give you an excellent opportunity to see what the job is like, even from the other side of the flight deck door and ask the guys what they did and what advice they have to offer.

The worst thing you can do is go in as Cabin Crew with no real interest for the job, let everyone know that you want to be a pilot and show no attention to the job you're doing. You'll just end up pi*ssing off a lot of people on your path, some of which you might meet at the interview. So make sure if you do take a job as Cabin Crew that you try your best and learn as much as you can about the role. Boasting that you want to become a pilot sometimes annoys other crew members - when I was crew some felt I thought that I was better than them which really wasnt the case. On the flip side some don't want to see you moving on to bigger things!

Good Luck and others, feel free to correct me if you feel what I've said is wrong.

S88:ok:

callum
23rd Sep 2008, 21:48
thanks guys i am still sampling the best way to go about my pilot training at the moment so all this advice is great!

preduk
23rd Sep 2008, 22:47
Best way to become a pilot...

- Work hard at your education
- Work hard at your jobs (full time or part time)
- Develop skills in team work, communication, self motivation.
- Save your money up, every penny helps don't waste it on junk!

Showing dedication and commitment to everything you do will move you one step forward to the dream job :ok:

Good luck buddy :}

Celtic Pilot
24th Sep 2008, 07:45
Leezjet

Of course it's possible, but im mean come on, i was putting across their point that they are obviously going to take the applicant with the most experience.. Just because they are cabin crew doesnt mean that they are the best applicant... as you say 0.1%....

anyway you'll find banks wont do your option B, only option C or have you recieved a loan unsecured.. if so, please do share where you got it...

Any i dont think the airline gives a sh:mad:t where you got the money from unpon employment, just as long as you got the paper with the results will do just fine...

Do you think an airline will ask you in the interview 'How did you get the funds for training???

Finals19
24th Sep 2008, 13:01
Callum,

I worked for 6+ years for our national carrier as Crew, although at the start i didn't think or have any huge interest in becoming flight crew.

I certainly agree that you have to be very careful with the way your project yourself with regard to your role. If you give the impression to all and sundry that you're only in the job to try to fish for a flight crew position, it will do you very little good. If you're good at your job, committed and motivated but show a side interest in the flight deck, then the flight deck door will always be open for you to observe, the pilots will enthuse with you and your ambition and the cabin crew will be supportive of you too.

I had a 40 minute face-to-face with the Chief Pilot before i left the company to pursue my commercial licences full time. He advised me to get experience and come back - so in answer to your question, just having the licence and 300hrs TT would not put you in front of somebody with more time and experience. Apparently my file of employment as cc would be held for 5 years and could be used as a reference for me, but that would be it (which seems totally fair IMHO)

That 5 years is almost up now and sadly i am no closer to getting near the requirements to get back in (sigh!) but then that is partly due to the terrible economic state of affairs right now....:sad:

Leezyjet
24th Sep 2008, 14:28
have you recieved a loan unsecured.. if so, please do share where you got it...

25K, found after a brief search on moneysupermarket.com. Paid for most of my training.

Not everyone wants to spend 70K at Oxford for the same blue book that can be had for half the price elsewhere.

:ok:

Celtic Pilot
24th Sep 2008, 14:53
im talkin about the current financial state not moons ago!!!!

Brainstorm
24th Sep 2008, 15:01
If you are funding your own flight training then I would think the best approach is to invest your time in whatever activity pays the most (short of medical experiments or selling your organs :)). As cabin crew you won't make much, and saving for your licenses and ratings could take some time.

I would advice you to be smart try and learn a different trade whilst doing this, it can't hurt. Lets say you save for your flying by being an insurance broker, then you have a plan B should you need it. It does happen that people get laid off, are given unpaid winter leave, or lose their medical in this business, it is good to be able to do something else that pays well when you need it.

Celtic Pilot
24th Sep 2008, 15:11
I agree with ''Brainstorm''''

Dont put all your eggs in one basket!!

If you are a qualified cc and a pilot then if the aviation industry sneezes (which it is doing so now) then you will catch an almighty cold...

have something else outside of flying!!!!

Leezyjet
24th Sep 2008, 15:23
im talkin about the current financial state not moons ago!!!!

I'm still in training at the moment, hardly moons ago although I did manage to source mine before the credit crunch.

Just had another look, and for 25K over 8 years for someone living with parents, it works out at around 350/month. Even a job stacking shelves at Tesco's or flipping burgers at Mcdonald's would pay enough to finance that loan, so being cabin crew ought to do it too providing you still live at home with parents.

It should get you a majority of the training done and still leave you enough each month to set some aside for the remainder of the training and the odd night out (can't be all work and no play), and on an f/o's starting salary for someone like Bmi or Flybe, you would hardly notice the out going compared to those with 70K+ loans who need to repay around 1k a month before they even get out of bed !!.

:\

student88
24th Sep 2008, 17:14
Whatever you do, always have a back up plan! Preferably something outside Aviation which you know you may have an interest in doing. Nothing is ever certain, who knows what tomorrow will bring.

S88:ok:

callum
24th Sep 2008, 17:26
Yeah i do have a back up plan kinda, but this means going to university to study marine biology. I have a keen interest in marine fish and corals!